Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me Understand the FLD Switchback

Old 10-23-2014, 08:01 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 614 Likes on 383 Posts
Default Help me Understand the FLD Switchback

I'm thinking of moving from a 2007 Street Glide to a 2012 Switchback (FLD). I test rode a FLD. Compared to my Street Glide the FLD was faster and lighter. The only negatives Were a rougher ride and more engine vibration. Is there anything else I should consider in making a change?

I have seen a thread about the Switchback's exhaust heat on the rider's right leg. I didn't notice this when I test rode the bike. I also did not read about it in any of the reviews I read. Is heat rise from the pipe (catalytic) a real problem?

Old 10-23-2014, 08:45 PM
Vaquero.45
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The saddlebags are smaller and IMO, uh... aesthetically challenged. I would love to have a Switchback with full size HD hard bags.

The "rougher ride" you mentioned is easily fixed with new shocks and front springs.

To me the FLD is the spiritual successor to the Duo Glide and pre-batwing Electra Glide. The Dyna platform is a pretty conventional Harley and doesn't have the weirdness under the covers that the Touring platform (beginning the the 1980 FLT) has, such as the bizarre frontend geometry and the always-hidden-because-it's-ugly rear suspension. Don't get me wrong, the Touring bikes are terrific, but they took a strange path to get there. I prefer something more straightforward (and, as you mentioned, lighter), and, for me, the Dyna is it. And the FLD is a the first factory Dyna that has the style elements of the "dresser."

Old 10-23-2014, 08:51 PM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

A friend has one. It's black and he did a Stage 1 with a 2-1 exhaust. Looks and sounds great. He rides it a lot without the bags and windshield. Looks like a completely different bike naked.

Old 10-24-2014, 06:45 AM
Northern Cowboy
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

My wife had one (since moved to a trike). The heat was a problem in traffic so I did a Stage 1 (V&H) with a 2:1 exhaust. Removing the catalytic convertor did the trick. Also changed out the hard bags to leather. They were bigger and changed the look of the bike drastically.

Old 10-24-2014, 10:02 AM
frontporchblues
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had one and I know some of the vibration came for the stock exhaust which has been called out on this forum quite a bit... Changing out the exhaust/mounts to another is supposed to fix the issue.

Old 10-24-2014, 10:47 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member

Thanks to all for the feedback.

I'm on the fence with the Switchback. Not sure I want a bike I'll have to fix. The popular clevis pin fix--a loose fitting pin in a mounting bracket--is not viable long term. Also, I'm not interested in swapping the stock muffler for an aftermarket part. Gotta think about the Switchback.

Old 10-24-2014, 12:40 PM
Vaquero.45
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Geoff
[...] Not sure I want a bike I'll have to fix. [...]
Maybe you should think about a Honda.

Old 10-24-2014, 03:56 PM
Govno
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks to all for the feedback.

I'm on the fence with the Switchback. Not sure I want a bike I'll have to fix. The popular clevis pin fix--a loose fitting pin in a mounting bracket--is not viable long term. Also, I'm not interested in swapping the stock muffler for an aftermarket part. Gotta think about the Switchback.
The "clevis pin fix" is viable long term, why wouldn't it be?
I didn't have to do it to my FLD because I put a whole new exhaust on, which fixed the vibration issue and heat issue (which is cause from the catalytic converter being right by your right calf...

Love my Switchy!

Old 10-24-2014, 09:34 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Govno
The "clevis pin fix" is viable long term, why wouldn't it be?
I didn't have to do it to my FLD because I put a whole new exhaust on, which fixed the vibration issue and heat issue (which is cause from the catalytic converter being right by your right calf...

Love my Switchy!
The clevis pin replaces a nut and bolt that secures the muffler to the frame. A loose fitting pin will lead to rattles, and the pin will eventually wear and shear.

Old 10-25-2014, 06:18 AM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member
Received 180 Likes on 139 Posts

The clevis pin replaces a nut and bolt that secures the muffler to the frame. A loose fitting pin will lead to rattles, and the pin will eventually wear and shear.

ran the fix for about 15 months with no rattles and no shearing, the pin looked as good the day it was removed as the day it was installed and would I STILL be running it today if I didn't get a sweetheart deal on a bassani 2-1 system last May..

ALSO you don't run it "loose" so since you DONT KNOW how to do it PLEASE stop making assumptions on the fix for it..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help me Understand the FLD Switchback