Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your Dyna today?

Old 07-21-2018, 07:16 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,659 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
Not my Dyna today; today a friend brought over his new to him '13 Switchback; a seriously low miles garage queen. His first HD. Gave it a complete going over; changed all fluids and the oil filter, bled and flushed the front and rear brakes. Filled his head with all sorts of Dyna related nonsense. He's not the social media sort but he's loving his new ride...
What you did...that's my definition of a friend! I'm sure he really appreciates your help.

Old 07-21-2018, 07:25 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member

My Low Rider has popping issues that I haven't been able to tune out. Not major, but it annoys me. I know I should've checked for an exhaust leak early on, but I was too busy doing more important things to the bike (like installing footpegs ). I didn't really know how to check for leaks anyway. Then I found a great vid on YouTube which I followed - spray the exhaust ports with soapy water. Stick a ShopVac hose in one pipe and seal it with some duct tape. Cover the other pipe and flip the switch and....HEY...BUBBLES!!! When I was a kid and we wanted bubbles we had to fart in the tub!

So I thought, let me see how tight the exhaust flange nuts are...if I can brake them loose, maybe I can do this myself. Hand tight. So loose a torque wrench wouldn't register anything I'm sure. So I picked up a pack of HD SE gaskets for $9 and replaced them. Torqued everything proper. Now we'll see how it is, after coming days of rain is done.

Last edited by Bluesrider.df; 07-21-2018 at 07:31 PM.
Old 07-22-2018, 06:06 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluesrider.df
What you did...that's my definition of a friend! I'm sure he really appreciates your help.
He's a good guy; met him right after I moved up to Michigan and I've done many group rides with him. He always said one day he would get an HD; he surprised me when out of nowhere he tells me he bought a Switchback. We had a great day in the garage doing some wrenching and talking bikes. When he saw all the steps I went through to protect the front isolator from contaminated engine oil when the oil filter was removed he decided he wants an oil filter relocation like I've got; the madness has begun

With your Big Shots Staggered exhaust one thing you could do would be to double nut the exhaust studs. A few heat cycles, check the torque on the exhaust nuts again then double nut; they won't ever come loose again. I use 5/16 - 24 chrome acorns to double nut; they look nice and protect the exhaust stud.

If you're still having decel popping and burbling after you've found your exhaust leaks you could try some DK Custom W158 thunder torque inserts; I've used these on my Big Shots and they do help prevent the reversion of fresh air in to the exhaust when you go off-throttle. You'll need to cut notches in the full coverage heat shields so the heat shields can slide past the TTI's stud and nut, but the shields are soft and cut easily...

The following users liked this post:
ludville1 (07-23-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 10:55 AM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member

Thanks for the excellent suggestions. I like the acorn nut idea, I'm going to do that.

Old 07-22-2018, 11:43 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluesrider.df
Thanks for the excellent suggestions. I like the acorn nut idea, I'm going to do that.
If you do decide on using the TTI's remove the stock baffles; the baffle holes will need to be enlarged slightly for the TTI's studs. With baffles out and the W158's installed the exhaust will take on a deeper tone and you'll notice a bump in low and mid-range torque as well...

Old 07-22-2018, 04:39 PM
martinj
Club Member

Received 15,037 Likes on 6,170 Posts

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
If you do decide on using the TTI's remove the stock baffles; the baffle holes will need to be enlarged slightly for the TTI's studs. With baffles out and the W158's installed the exhaust will take on a deeper tone and you'll notice a bump in low and mid-range torque as well...
Yep... ^^^this^^^ for sure...... Good on you for the help you gave your buddy, BTW.

Changed the fluids in my Low Rider today. Had some H-D 20w-50 on hand so it went in the engine. Very pleasantly surprised how little debris was stuck to the magnet on the drain plug

This was the first oil change after my 110/cam'head/throttle body upgrade, not counting the one I did immediately after the initial startup and heat cycles. Close to 2K miles on the oil--I know, I should have changed it at 1K, but that's what life does to ya sometimes. I think the small amount of debris had to do with the heat cycles--I picked up a fair amount (not a huge amount--just what one would expect of a new build) of debris on the magnet after the post heat cycle change.

Red Line V-twin in the primary, and Red Line Heavy Shockproof in the trans.

New set of grips to replace the gooey, crap stockers. These are a little bigger diameter and make my hands feel much, much better after a hundred miles or so than the old ones did.

And a new front tire. Dunlop GT502. Got a killer deal on it from the local dealership. Along with the matching 180/60/17 GT502 on the rear, it handles really nice--noticeably better than the stock Scorchers. It'll be interesting to see how these wear.....

Last edited by martinj; 07-22-2018 at 04:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TinCupChalice (07-22-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 06:28 PM
rs1250xl
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Due to a crazy work schedule, took my first ride on it in a few weeks.

Also started planning the winter suspension & brake mods....

Old 07-22-2018, 08:15 PM
dirtdreamer50
Elite HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by rs1250xl
Due to a crazy work schedule, took my first ride on it in a few weeks.

Also started planning the winter suspension & brake mods....
Winter??? Heat index of 109* today. Months to go too. Wiped the dust off one bag of my FLD, and went back into the AC'd house. May wipe the other tomorrow., as doing so brings about sweat. tp

Old 07-22-2018, 09:16 PM
Ed Ard
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Ordered new bars...

Old 07-23-2018, 07:41 AM
TejasJeff
Tourer
Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Ard
Ordered new bars...
What ya get'n?

EDIT - mighty fine looking ride ya got there too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What did you do to your Dyna today?