Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to change bars that have internal wiring. Is there a write up on how to do this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 02:05 PM
Red5
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to change bars that have internal wiring. Is there a write up on how to do this?

Its a 97 FXDWG and it has aftermarket bars on it that are too close together for my taste. I want to go with some mini apes and or something a bit wider. The cables and such are all aftermarket (Arlen Ness) and I think there is ample room for a slight change in size. I'm concerned about the wires that go through teh handle bars. Do these have clips on their ends? Is this an easy job or do I need to use special tools and such to route the wiring?

Looking for some sort of procedural if possible. The stuff I found on youtube doesn't cover the internal wiring.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:36 AM
Red5
Advanced

Still looking for some advice before I take the tank off and see for myself. Was hoping that someone could chip in. Trying to decide if this is too big of a job for me.

Old 01-15-2015, 11:06 AM
br549A1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

You're going to have to raise or pull the tank to get the harness pulled out of the neck. I believe you have to create slack in the harness which is in front of the rear wheel, clip that cable tie and then get enough out of the neck to undo the connectors. There's a panel on from of the rear wheel and the harness is bundled in there. Then remove the pins from the connectors and feed everything through the new bars. I didn't internally wire my bars because I've had 3 sets and back to what it came with. If you're sure you like what your putting on its worth it but if your like me and not sure it's a lot of work to do multiple times. I'm sure others can give you more specific advice but this is what I know aboutnit

Old 01-15-2015, 11:25 AM
Red5
Advanced

Thanks dude, pretty much what I needed to hear. I'll run the wires on the outside. Guess I need to do some research to find out how to remove the tank and such. This bike is Not my typical bike. I took it in on trade. It is very pretty. Great paint, lots of sharp add ons. Stuff that I need to keep from getting scratched and or hurt. It looks like a show bike, but its a rider.

Old 01-15-2015, 01:01 PM
STRES
Road Captain
Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

this might help with the wiring on the actual bars once/if you get there