Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First ride report, couple of questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 04:38 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts
Default First ride report, couple of questions

Today marked a bright sunny day with temps that hit almost 36 degrees, with a quick break from work I was able to don my Snowboard Jacket and some gloves to try out the Street Bob with the new Cams and fork changes (Ricor Intiminators with Traxxion Springs).

As for the Cams, with so much gravel on our twisty rural roads, and this being a first cold ride I was never able to get out of 3rd gear or over 60mph, at one point I gunned it to 70 but had to back off quickly.

It's been at least 4 weeks since I've been able to ride any length of miles so it's almost tough to compare. I would say that I was surprised in that throttle felt smoother and the overall bike was definitely a little peppier. I can't wait to get it on a nice straightaway or Highway.

Exhaust seemed louder, maybe it needs to settle in again, it's already a freaking loud exhaust and I hope it's just me. Everything definitely more robust in a positive way, and while I only rode 15 miles I had no popping, or eccentricities with the canned tune.

The forks were awesome. I forced myself to hit some potholes that used to jar me heavily, everything seemed much smoother in a "tighter" kind of way. Believe me, I know the previous statement makes no sense. Brake dive half what it was before easily. Fun to glance down and watch the forks move in what seemed to be a much faster rate on bumps.

I never ran the intiminators with stock springs so I can't say how much of the change was due to one product over the other but so far happy camper.

Couple of questions though:

1. I'm 99.9% sure that I adjusted the push rods properly with the cams on the base circle... BUT, if I didn't would there be any telltale symptoms I should be looking for now that I've gone for a ride and hope to maybe get another in this weekend?

2. I have the discreet breather system from DK Customs, where any residual oil comes out of the breather bolts, down some tubing and into a filter (pics below), previously if I touched the filter I would get some black residue on my finger but not much of anything. Today after the first ride I notice a about 3 drops of thick liquid (remember very cold out), dripping from the filter. This is the first time I've actually had any dripping albeit only a few drops. The liquid felt like a mix of oil and smelled a bit like gas? Is this just normal blow back, is it normal with a cam change, should I do anything about it or just wait and see. FWIW, I did just clean and oil the K&N filter but the inside and throttle body seem very clean.

Appreciate any thoughts.

Old 01-16-2015, 05:07 PM
target64
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

1. I'm 99.9% sure that I adjusted the push rods properly with the cams on the base circle... BUT, if I didn't would there be any telltale symptoms I should be looking for now that I've gone for a ride and hope to maybe get another in this weekend?

well she is running that was a good sign if you would have been off the base circle there would have been alot of noise on start up and had done some possible damage to the valve train. or it would not even had started! how many turns did u go ? as long as the engine is quiet at operating temp u should be go to go. as far as blow by they are all different on my stock 96 with the cam change to the 555's i noticed alot of oil leaking out breather after it was rode hard. after the 107 build and the better flowing heads and the higher compression this engine now never pushes any oil out the breather.

Old 01-16-2015, 05:12 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

All I can add is be very careful on gravel roads with too much speed. All it takes is one rock to hit the front tire just right and your down,
That is a lot of blow by.

Old 01-16-2015, 05:13 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by target64

well she is running that was a good sign if you would have been off the base circle there would have been alot of noise on start up and had done some possible damage to the valve train. or it would not even had started! how many turns did u go ? as long as the engine is quiet at operating temp u should be go to go. as far as blow by they are all different on my stock 96 with the cam change to the 555's i noticed alot of oil leaking out breather after it was rode hard. after the 107 build and the better flowing heads and the higher compression this engine now never pushes any oil out the breather.
ok thanks. I guess I'll monitor it then. If it continues with any quantity is it something I can tune out, as in is this excess fuel in the system or something.

I adjusted the S&S quickees 20 flats, which is what the S&S video had listed although the instructions I believe had roughly 24 flats. It did sound fine, started fine, ran well. I thought I remembered reading someone's post about how he discovered a ton of irreparable damage done to his bike quite a few miles later after having had mis-adjusted rods, but it didn't sound like he had had any indication of problems while riding.

Old 01-16-2015, 05:17 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by dirtdobber
All I can add is be very careful on gravel roads with too much speed. All it takes is one rock to hit the front tire just right and your down,
That is a lot of blow by.
True enough! I was extremely cautious. Plus I had gone for a bike ride the day prior (I'm far riskier on my bike than my MC), and ride this loop 3 times a week so I know pretty much every bit of it. That being said, other than one straightaway I really took it easy and just enjoyed being on the motorcycle.

Old 01-16-2015, 07:24 PM
target64
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by robbyville
ok thanks. I guess I'll monitor it then. If it continues with any quantity is it something I can tune out, as in is this excess fuel in the system or something.

I adjusted the S&S quickees 20 flats, which is what the S&S video had listed although the instructions I believe had roughly 24 flats. It did sound fine, started fine, ran well. I thought I remembered reading someone's post about how he discovered a ton of irreparable damage done to his bike quite a few miles later after having had mis-adjusted rods, but it didn't sound like he had had any indication of problems while riding.
your pushrods are 32 TPI and you are at 3.5 turns and can go up to 4.5 turns if needed to quiet it down but is only needed with a higher lift cam usually . and especially any woods cams. per bob woods. he likes the plunger set at around .140 as along what hillside recommend for my build. as far as the blow by you will have to live with it. no tunning for that!

Old 01-16-2015, 08:24 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

I have always read that keeping your oil level on the higher side can increase blow by. I always try to keep my oil level at the mid point of the "full" range(warm oil check) and I have yet to see any problem/oil dirtying up my bypass filter.

I think I know your "issue" with pr adjustment: like me after doing something yourself for the first time, you start "hearing" new sounds and worrying! Remember you are running much bigger cams than stock, so I don't think it is much of a stretch that there is more valve train noise.

You might try putting your ear as close as you can to the front prs then back prs, now to the front rocker then back rocker and see if you hear any differences. My bet all is well!

Old 01-16-2015, 09:09 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Cool thanks, no incremental noise guess unjust wanted to be sure!

Even though short, cautious, and cold it was nice to get out. I will say that much as I love the look of my exhaust the loudness is maybe a bit much despite the quiet baffles. That may have to be next year's savings. Powerful but not as obnoxiously noisy.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:03 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 734 Likes on 504 Posts

My snow blower ran pretty good this morning, pushed 3" easily

I haven't been able to ride since I did the cams; gloom, despair, and agony on me, whoaaa!

Old 01-17-2015, 05:28 AM
target64
Outstanding HDF Member

[QUOTE=HD Pilot;13602902]I have always read that keeping your oil level on the higher side can increase blow by. I always try to keep my oil level at the mid point of the "full" range(warm oil check) and I have yet to see any problem/oil dirtying up my bypass

after the bigger head work and drilling out the oil return hole bigger on the rocker arm support plates I keep my oil level at the full mark on a hot engine and have never had any oil residue come out of my breather!! do not like the though of running any engine low on oil.

Quick Reply: First ride report, couple of questions