Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First 40 miles on new cams and springs

Old 01-21-2015, 05:01 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts
Default First 40 miles on new cams and springs

Yesterday was a pleasant 42 degrees around here so I took the opportunity to put the back pack on and do some work errands on the bike.

The loop was around 40 miles with a mix of twisty country roads, some good straightaways and then I jumped on the Interstate for 9 miles to see how the bike fared there.

The twisty's did have gravel still so couldn't really open it up as I was picking lines throughout but I had the chance to hit some decent little potholes as well as stutter type stuff to test out the forks (New springs and Intiminators). Definitely very different from stock. I do think that on the little stuff the forks responded much faster and I felt them far less. As a result I felt like the rear was a little too stiff but that could have been cold weather related or that I haven't been on the bike for a while. I do need to see if I can soften my Works shocks a bit but keep confusing myself on which way to adjust

The Cams (Andrews 57h), VERY VERY cool. First off, no problems with the map that was given to me by V&H, surprisingly no decel pop or any other weird noises (surprising because the canned map for my original set up did have some of the normal popping, etc).

The bike shifted really well, much better with the heavy spring even though I'll have to beef up my hand strength for any type of traffic. I used to have some problems going from 1st to 2nd slipping into neutral, no more!

The acceleration was butter smooth and on a couple of straightaways I hit 80mph in 4th before having to slow down. I assume that my torque may be in the 100 range, I can't even imagine a bike that has much higher. Granted it was my first ride but I had to slow down before I even hit the max of acceleration.

On the Interstate I noticed that my RPM were about 150-200 less in 6th gear (around 2600 at 75mph) than before. Lots of torque when passing but I did drop down to 5th at one point. Also I had left my windshield at home and was wearing my snowboard jacket so speed sustained at 80mph was a little much for me and made passing 18 wheeler's a little freaky.

I couldn't be happier (except now I want a new fairing and new bars), I certainly didn't need the cams or the benefits of them but I am going to enjoy them!

Too bad we got a few inches of snow today with more one the way this weekend, I'm itching to get out even more now than ever.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:53 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 730 Likes on 502 Posts

Sounds like it's running pretty good eh Good job!

Can't wait for spring and summer!

Old 01-21-2015, 07:29 PM
Sean McGuinness
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just finished installing the 57H's in my bike and cannot wait to ride it... I just need to get it dyno tuned and wait for some good weather.

good to read your post though

Old 01-22-2015, 08:05 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Nice report Rob, sounds like a lot of fun! Glad you got a solid fuel map for the 57s.

The Works shocks that came to me were set up stiff. Don't remember exactly but the sag was not enough, had to loosen/unscrew the adjuster nut to where only 3 to 4 threads were left on the top side of the nut to get the proper sag - I weigh ~ 185lbs.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:11 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Suede Blue Man
Sounds like it's running pretty good eh Good job!

Can't wait for spring and summer!
Thanks Suede, me neither. Calling for snow here all weekend. The business man in me is very happy about that (unless it affects people's desire to drive). The motorcyclist in me is very sad

Originally Posted by Sean McGuinness
i just finished installing the 57H's in my bike and cannot wait to ride it... I just need to get it dyno tuned and wait for some good weather.

good to read your post though
Sean, looking forward to hearing how your first ride is! Do you have a tuner yet of will you get one when you get the Dyno?

Originally Posted by HD Pilot
Nice report Rob, sounds like a lot of fun! Glad you got a solid fuel map for the 57s.

The Works shocks that came to me were set up stiff. Don't remember exactly but the sag was not enough, had to loosen/unscrew the adjuster nut to where only 3 to 4 threads were left on the top side of the nut to get the proper sag - I weigh ~ 185lbs.
Thanks HD, it was a ton of fun.

I know Works says that they are built specifically for us by weight. I'd say I'm pretty darn close to the end of the nut's adjustment. To be clear though, as I unscrew/loosen the nut, the spring expands which raises the height of the bike but will allow a little more sag correct? This will also soften the ride up a bit?

Old 01-22-2015, 08:27 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member

Yeah, I was kinda surprised that the pre-load was not close. I believe Works builds the shocks from all our info but they do not try to adjust the shocks prior to shipping.

Yes, loosening the adjuster nut will increase the height a bit but you have to dial in the sag to about 1 1/4". I did it by myself but a helper would make it easier and more precise. Just need a tape measure and measure before and after sitting on bike.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:33 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Yeah, I was kinda surprised that the pre-load was not close. I believe Works builds the shocks from all our info but they do not try to adjust the shocks prior to shipping.

Yes, loosening the adjuster nut will increase the height a bit but you have to dial in the sag to about 1 1/4". I did it by myself but a helper would make it easier and more precise. Just need a tape measure and measure before and after sitting on bike.
I think I need to do it again. I thought the 1 1/4" was the difference between rear wheel up in the air and then with rider. Should it actually be the difference between wheel on the ground no rider vs. with rider? Definitely need a little softer.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:43 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member

No, do not lift bike, just measure first on side stand then sitting on bike: take a look on the bottom of pg 3:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dxt25a1f20...stall.pdf?dl=0

Not sure if this link will work for you...

Last edited by HD Pilot; 01-22-2015 at 11:09 AM.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:20 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

No, do not lift bike, just measure first measure on side stand then sitting on bike: take a look on the bottom of pg 3:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dxt25a1f20...stall.pdf?dl=0

Not sure if this link will work for you...
Got it thanks Alan. I'll have to double check what I did when I set it up. Either way, not a ton of room left for adjustment outward at least!

Old 01-22-2015, 09:41 AM
wilddave
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

It's cool that you are running cams with the FP3. How was V&H support? Can you still autotune?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First 40 miles on new cams and springs