Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 fat Bob turning off

Old 01-21-2015, 10:39 PM
baba booey
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 09 fat Bob turning off

Hi guys. I did a search and couldn't find too much info. So, this has now happened twice. Both at night, somewhat cool temperatures outside. I was braking before a turn and I had the clutch in both times and the bike just shuts off. Lights are on. I try to hit the start button and nothing. When I turned the ignition switch off then back on, she would fire up. Anyone have any idea? I checked, as suggested, the battery connection. It is tight and good. I have a pipe, intake and power commander. I'll take some photos for reference and ill post later. Thanks!

Old 01-21-2015, 10:49 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,810 Likes on 1,063 Posts

The Power Commander throwing any codes out as to what the problem may be?

Old 01-22-2015, 06:44 AM
tar_snake
Stellar HDF Member

Received 954 Likes on 455 Posts

Check the oil level too. I believe the motor will shut off if it gets too low. Not positive, but had something similar happen some years ago on the interstate when I yanked on the throttle to pass and suddenly the bike tried to shut off but as soon as I let off the gas to get back to normal speed it kept running. Did this three times to 'test' it and when I got home I checked all kinds of things - electrical connections, battery, etc - and nothing seemed to be wrong until I checked the oil (wasn't checking it to see if it was a cause, just simply decided to check it) and I was a quart and a half low (no idea how it got that way as I've never let anything I've owned get that way, could only figure because it was new a lot of oil was blowing by the rings still) and I figured maybe that was the reason for the engine trying to cut off.

Hell, can't hurt to check at least.

Old 01-22-2015, 12:33 PM
baba booey
Cruiser

I will check the oil. Can't hurt. Thanks for the responses.
Originally Posted by tar_snake
Check the oil level too. I believe the motor will shut off if it gets too low. Not positive, but had something similar happen some years ago on the interstate when I yanked on the throttle to pass and suddenly the bike tried to see shut off but as soon as I let off the gas to get back to normal speed it kept running. Did this three times to 'test' it and when I got home I checked all kinds of things - electrical connections, battery, etc - and nothing seemed to be wrong until I checked the oil (wasn't checking it to see if it was a cause, just simply decided to check it) and I was a quart and a half low (no idea how it got that way as I've never let anything I've owned get that way, could only figure because it was new a lot of oil was blowing by the rings still) and I figured maybe that was the reason for the engine trying to cut off.

Hell, can't hurt to check at least.

Old 01-22-2015, 04:02 PM
enodrano
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Your power commander specifies how much fuel to give the engine when decelerating. Too much and the engine will backfire and pop. Too little and the bike will stall. As suggested check it for error codes. You may also want to reload the map.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:08 PM
c-note
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Losing spark maybe?

Old 01-22-2015, 08:18 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You may just need to get a can of throttle body cleaning spray, use as directed on the can.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:02 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 967 Likes on 730 Posts

Like maddghost said, cleaning the IAC is a good idea. I know you said you checked the battery connections but the ground cable is overlooked sometimes.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:56 PM
baba booey
Cruiser

I checked the oil, it's good. Ill have to investigate the pc v a bit more. Great idea on the ground and that iac valve. I'll give it a shot. Recommendations on where to buy a service manual and should I go with Harley's oem manual?

Also, I noticed on my bike that there is a black wire that is velcroed to the frame (under the seat) that appears to just end and is not connected to anything (on that end). Is this normal?

Thanks for the help.

Old 01-22-2015, 10:21 PM
EricInNCa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

You can order a manual online or just pick one up at the dealership. I would go with the OEM Harley service manual.

You mention a mysterious black wire velcroed to the frame under the seat. That doesn't sound right at all. I do have a question about this wire, Do you have a security system with the audible alarm on this bike? If so, the wire you see may be the antennae for the receiver. I have a wide velcro strip under my seat that comes with the alarm system and you are supposed to run the wire across the area under the seat and cover it with this velcro strip. That's may be what you are seeing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 09 fat Bob turning off