Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Small, Rear, LED Turn signals and a few Sat. morning thoughts.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 12:42 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 733 Likes on 504 Posts
Default Small, Rear, LED Turn signals and a few Sat. morning thoughts.

1st Off:

I need to get some small, rear, LED TS that function like OEM (Stop/Run/Turn). Going to fab a new license plate bracket since I got the LP bags so need some light weight LED's.

Appreciate the options you may know of.

Secondly ([a.k.a.] "a, 2, and d"):

These lithium batteries, are they all what it said about them, like they're the greatest thing since spam and all that?

I see they are expensive; but are they the beat-all to end-all of batteries? Like, do they last longer than any other type, and not by much but do they do it by a lot?

What seems so great about them is the reduced size and weight! And that difference is huge, no doubt about that!

I'd like to see the battery box area done differently and these small batteries would surely help.

Hand in hand with this, I'd like to see a Dyna, two-up seat, hinged from the left side (so when the bike is on it's stand gravity and the angle hold it open so it doesn't fall shut like it would if it were on the right side of course), locked with a matching lock as the ignition and steering, same key for all.
I know this might be to far out of the comfort zone for some but this solves some problems some have. It would provide a fairly secure space to put
a little stuff (cell phone if you have one) but an improved electronics area.

The battery (if it is one of those small lithium ones) could probably be engineered to be mounted vertically, which I think would allow better options for the wiring, which honestly, could be a lot tidier than the garbled mess it is now.

So under the seat, both rider and passenger is space that even under the passenger the fender is recessed deep enough but so the rear tire cannot touch it (and I'm not sure how much that is but hopefully would allow say at most, inch, inch and a half maybe?)
Under the passenger part would be a special, form fitted, cushioned against wear and noise, set of tools, nice little set of Snap-on (I think they make some HD tools already) tools.

Maybe some triangle shaped side covers (FXR'ish) vs. the ammo cans but the the cavity would be all water proof for all the electronics with easier access and visibility and room for pair of gloves, back up spark plug, etc.

and (d):

Haven't seen anyone yet sporting a "swing arm" mounted fender, I'd like to see some of those, for the sake of something different and innovative.

Food for thought on Saturday

Don't forget about the rear light options!

Last edited by Suede Blue Man; 01-24-2015 at 12:44 PM.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:57 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Well I'm not going to even touch your concept designs, but not bad thoughts overall!

I know you said you were going to fabricate something but I thought this was a nice simple and clean option for both signal and plate relocation. cheaper and cleaner than HD's. You can use your stock signals if you like as well (I just put the Custom Dynamic LED's in mine), or you can find small ones.

Not much smaller than stock but I really liked the Custom Dynamic Bullet Ringz, I think they also had smaller options

http://www.greatbikegear.com/index.p...ate-frame.html

Old 01-24-2015, 01:25 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

It will be similar to that mount but I plan on the plate light mounted above the plate, I also want to curve the mount and license plate same curve as the fender so it acts and looks like an extension of the fender, somewhat seamless in it's curve.

I have no idea if a curved plate is legal or not, wouldn't think the fuzz would bother with pulling me over for that.

Gotta find smaller ones, much as I like mine.

Old 01-24-2015, 01:32 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Check out the Arlen Ness LED's then as well as CD (link below)

I'm a fan of Custom Dynamics mostly due to rep, they were really nice to deal with and price was very solid (I did both front and rear inserts plus smoked lenses for $156)

http://www.customdynamics.com/billet_led_light.htm

Hey, separate topic but... I'm close, real close to choosing bars that I think will be better for me. Did you need to change out bushings when you put yours on, or replace the bolts that clamp them to the tree?

Old 01-24-2015, 01:52 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

I changed the bars at low mileage and the OEM were fine and I reused them.
My bars are as solid as if you were holding onto a freight train!

Old 01-24-2015, 03:13 PM
IornStreetBob
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by robbyville
Well I'm not going to even touch your concept designs, but not bad thoughts overall!

I know you said you were going to fabricate something but I thought this was a nice simple and clean option for both signal and plate relocation. cheaper and cleaner than HD's. You can use your stock signals if you like as well (I just put the Custom Dynamic LED's in mine), or you can find small ones.

Not much smaller than stock but I really liked the Custom Dynamic Bullet Ringz, I think they also had smaller options

http://www.greatbikegear.com/index.p...ate-frame.html
hey i really like this relocation kit do you need to re drill any holes or will it bolt on to where the turn signals are now

Old 01-24-2015, 03:26 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by IornStreetBob
hey i really like this relocation kit do you need to re drill any holes or will it bolt on to where the turn signals are now
I'm not totally sure as I don't have it yet (will be ordering when I order saddlebags), but my understanding is that it bolts on to where the turn signals are. Here is a link to the instructions:
http://www.greatbikegear.com/media/P...structions.pdf

Old 01-24-2015, 07:37 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Are these small enough for you?

I had them on my Bob, and now on my Sporty Cafe. Very bright little lights.

http://www.hightechspeed.com/products/XARC/index.asp

You can see them in the video.

Old 01-24-2015, 07:54 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by SLV
Are these small enough for you?

By George, that just might be the ticket!

So those will function as needed on the rear?

Man, your bike looks terrific, must be an absolute hoot to tear it up with

Bang up job Man

Old 01-24-2015, 07:58 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Suede Blue Man
By George, that just might be the ticket!

So those will function as needed on the rear?

Man, your bike looks terrific, must be an absolute hoot to tear it up with

Bang up job Man
Yes. They wire right up to the front or rear.

Thanks for the comments.

Quick Reply: Small, Rear, LED Turn signals and a few Sat. morning thoughts.