Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grips redux and one last bar question

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 10:14 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Grips redux and one last bar question

Hi guys,

I posted this question in the General HD Chat section but only received a couple of responses. I think a lot of folks hang out in only one forum and I should have thought of that given the style of some bikes.

At any rate, here's my question. I'm about to pull the trigger on new bars. I find the stock grips just fine but my shop manual says that I need to cut the left one off, is this the case or can I get it off and re-use it by using WD-40 or something?

I have been looking at grips just in case and really like the looks of these in the smooth black

http://www.slickcustoms.com/media/ca...6/06300663.jpg

Obviously most grips have rubber or grip material of some such, so was wondering if this style is not functionally good? I do ride with gloves 100% of the time.

A couple of folks thought I may be able to remove my old grips in one swoop using air or a hangar so maybe my questions right now to you is based more on if my choice of alternate grips is too aesthetic based and not functional.

For the bars, I'm torn between the Wild 1 501's which are listed as an 8 inch riser but since they're pull back they have a 5 inch end rise and 11.5 inch pull back, or the Wild 1 507's which are 10 inch riser but really have a 6 inch end rise and 12.5 inch pull back. I'm 5'7 and my goal is to have about a two inches more pullback than my current mini apes. I'm worried that the 10 inch version may look a little goofy. Anyone out there have the 501's and wish they had the 507's or vice versa? I'm leaning to the 501's currently as I think the pull back will be slightly better than stock even though they're lower than the apes.

Any advice is always welcome!

Old 01-26-2015, 10:35 AM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 734 Likes on 504 Posts

Whose hand naturally fits those stupid stock grips, seriously, whose no-palm hand did they pattern those things from! Is there some no-palmed, ogre hand model in Milwaukee they modeled them from?

****-can those turds!

Now then, I'm running the HD "Get a grip's", not the mongo ones, the regular size; I don't think you can get better then these, perfect fit and get them from one of the on-line joints for 20% off!

BAM, end of story

Old 01-26-2015, 11:51 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Suede Blue Man
Whose hand naturally fits those stupid stock grips, seriously, whose no-palm hand did they pattern those things from! Is there some no-palmed, ogre hand model in Milwaukee they modeled them from?

****-can those turds!

Now then, I'm running the HD "Get a grip's", not the mongo ones, the regular size; I don't think you can get better then these, perfect fit and get them from one of the on-line joints for 20% off!

BAM, end of story
Suede, have you ever tried anything like the ones I had above? I do like the billet, torpedo style I just don't know if they're functional

Old 01-26-2015, 12:04 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 732 Posts

Can't open that link, but if those are grips with just a finished metal surface I would never consider those. Maybe they look great, and maybe they're good for short rides, but for me grips are supposed to provide GRIP. I've been using the PM Renthal grips for years, (had to replace the sleeves), and are excellent in the rain or with sweaty hands.
I used to run the 501 bars but couldn't get comfortable with them. Bar setups are so individualized that it's hard to say they'll work for someone else.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:09 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by nevil
Can't open that link, but if those are grips with just a finished metal surface I would never consider those. Maybe they look great, and maybe they're good for short rides, but for me grips are supposed to provide GRIP. I've been using the PM Renthal grips for years, (had to replace the sleeves), and are excellent in the rain or with sweaty hands.
I used to run the 501 bars but couldn't get comfortable with them. Bar setups are so individualized that it's hard to say they'll work for someone else.
Thanks Nevil, yes they are smooth black finished metal and I think you're right I'm being lured by pure looks, can't find anyone who's made a recommendation for them.

On the bars, what did you have on before the 501's? I understand that it's very individualized (I race bicycles and it's very similar as far as reach, drop, curve, etc). Mostly I want to make sure that there is more pull back than my current set up. I've kind of mocked it up and I'm fairly sure that they'll be a couple of inches closer than the mini-apes. But a few inches down as well which I don't mind too much even though I like my current height.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:26 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 734 Likes on 504 Posts

Link wouldn't work for me either.

I think Nevil's are the type like mine (get-a-grips), rubber over the metal. A number of companies make them and they probably all make good ones but I don't think they are any better than the HD ones plus, most of them are probably more expensive.
Nothing gimmicky about them and I wear gloves all the time, if you find anything better, I say right on!

Old 01-26-2015, 12:38 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 732 Posts

Before the 501's I had the stock mini apes.
After that I did what I used to do years ago and that's to sit on the bike, close my eyes and place my hands where they were the most comfortable. I had someone measure the height and pullback and then found bars that fit those dimensions, looks be damned.
Here is an ergonomic tool that might help: http://cycle-ergo.com/

Old 01-26-2015, 12:51 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Right now I have a different set up in the cart that are Arlen Ness with rubber and billet ends

Old 01-26-2015, 01:01 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by nevil
Before the 501's I had the stock mini apes.
After that I did what I used to do years ago and that's to sit on the bike, close my eyes and place my hands where they were the most comfortable. I had someone measure the height and pullback and then found bars that fit those dimensions, looks be damned.
Here is an ergonomic tool that might help: http://cycle-ergo.com/
Thanks again, I did something similar. Would you mind elaborating on what your challenges were with the mini-apes and how tall you are? I like the height of them but the reach is just a bit off, I've tilted them towards me a bit but have taken that as far as I can while still maintaining a decent wrist angle.

That's kind of what took me to the 501's, reasonable height and if I measure properly 2 inches of pull back beyond the apes.

What are you using now, are they much lower than the apes were?

Old 01-26-2015, 05:35 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Well as an update I did pull the trigger on my FINAL winter mods I swear!

Needed to get bars a couple of inches closer these should do the trick without dropping height too much. Decided to go black for the bars even though turn signals and mirrors are chrome but switches black.

http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/...B_p/wo501b.htm

For grips I went with rubber/billet mix of chrome and black (sorry Suede)

http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/...sion-deep.html

I also bought a new modified Arlen ness narrow fairing from a member here painted vivid black. Hopefully it will do a decent job of redirecting air for fast riding vs. the windshield and still look good

Now just need to research and read up on changing bars and wires. My understanding from others is that with a 2014 I won't need to remove the gas tank completely nor de-pin the connectors. Hoping that's true but you can expect another detailed thread for sure!

Quick Reply: Grips redux and one last bar question