Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want new shocks in the $500 range

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 10:16 AM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 1,254 Posts
Default Want new shocks in the $500 range

Greetings,

I'm looking for new shocks for my FLD. I'd love to get high end Ohlins, but don't have the budget for it. Maybe somewhere down the road.

For now, I have a budget of around $500. From my research, the front runners are the Progressive 444's 13" standard spring, or Hagon Nitros 13".

I'm looking for an upgrade in…

Ride Quality
Bump Absorption
Handling
Cornering Clearance (I would guess by going with 13" shocks, this would increase cornering clearance)

Looking for something that is plush, but provides better handling.

Any thoughts as to which of these two shocks would be the better option? Is there another choice that I'm missing that comes in my price range?

Thanks!

Old 01-27-2015, 10:23 AM
2500hdon37s
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,548 Likes on 667 Posts

Check out Fuel Moto, they have a pretty good price on Ohlins base line shocks. Around $550. And they're valved for and a spring rate picked for YOU based on your weight and if you ride two up or not. Plus 12 or a 13in options I believe.

Ill be going that route once toy upgrade funds allow.

Old 01-27-2015, 10:31 AM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm looking at suspension for the same reasons, and after talking to some people that run them, I've decided I'm going to go with the Progressive 444s when I get the funds available.

Old 01-27-2015, 10:51 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,458 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Have a look at Hagon shocks (and do a search here for related threads). They are very good shocks and pricing is decent.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:02 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 334 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharkman73
I'm looking at suspension for the same reasons, and after talking to some people that run them, I've decided I'm going to go with the Progressive 444s when I get the funds available.
I had these installed before my 1,400 mile round trip to Daytona's Biketoberfest. I can't begin tell you how happy I am with them.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:08 PM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts
Old 01-27-2015, 03:54 PM
Tfree
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hagon Nitros will not disappoint..a world of difference from the stocks on my 2011 Superglide. I got the black. FYI I had to widen the top shock collars on a grinding wheel about 3/16 'to fit over the new shock

Old 01-27-2015, 10:06 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 430 Likes on 258 Posts

Lots of 430 Progressives on eBay; got a pair for the wifes FXDL and she's happy; within your budget too

Old 01-28-2015, 07:08 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 440 Likes on 246 Posts
Default Ohlins

The least expensive Ohlins costs under $600 from me with proof you are a HDF member. As far as I know, I am the ONLY one who re-valves (if necessary) your Ohlins shocks and I am the person who took the Ohlins shocks and got them to work on Harley's in the very beginning, look at your HDF history. All shocks are shipped from my shop after I do what is needed for each & every customer. A shock drop shipped from Ohlins is just a shock in a box made in Sweden but Ohlins will install the requested springs on the shock. You must also keep in mind that when you properly install an Ohlins shock V/S the other poor performance mentioned suspension, you buy only once. Of course it is necessary to learn how to set your bike up and know what your bike should feel like. There is a big difference in Ohlins shocks & the "Other Suspension) no matter where you purchased it from as you have the base unit and you can go to the local track and have knowledgeable suspension tuners look at your shocks. Try and have that done with the "Other" aforementioned shocks and you can't. The reason is no one would run those brands at the track for a very good reason.

Last edited by FastHarley; 01-28-2015 at 07:15 AM.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:36 AM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 1,254 Posts

Originally Posted by FastHarley
The least expensive Ohlins costs under $600 from me with proof you are a HDF member. As far as I know, I am the ONLY one who re-valves (if necessary) your Ohlins shocks and I am the person who took the Ohlins shocks and got them to work on Harley's in the very beginning, look at your HDF history. All shocks are shipped from my shop after I do what is needed for each & every customer. A shock drop shipped from Ohlins is just a shock in a box made in Sweden but Ohlins will install the requested springs on the shock. You must also keep in mind that when you properly install an Ohlins shock V/S the other poor performance mentioned suspension, you buy only once. Of course it is necessary to learn how to set your bike up and know what your bike should feel like. There is a big difference in Ohlins shocks & the "Other Suspension) no matter where you purchased it from as you have the base unit and you can go to the local track and have knowledgeable suspension tuners look at your shocks. Try and have that done with the "Other" aforementioned shocks and you can't. The reason is no one would run those brands at the track for a very good reason.
I was hoping you'd chime in here. Appreciate the info. Didn't realize Ohlins ( I assume their "cheap") shocks could be so affordable. IIRC, last year you ran a special on JRI shocks. Anything happening this year? Also, what do the mentioned Ohlins look like? It is a Harley after all and the aesthetic value is not to be discounted.

Quick Reply: Want new shocks in the $500 range