Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna Fwds to Mids Mod

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 01:45 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Nothing too special, just normal tools, torque wrench, and the HD Service Manual. Probably the hardest part is removing and installing the 2 starter fasteners, need to be careful to not bugger up the allen heads - do not use a ball end type. Probably good idea to buy a couple extra fasteners just in case. For cleaning fasteners and their holes the Craftsman 40 piece Rethreading Kit(52105) is great.

Just remembered, get the Primary Locking tool or make your own if able, here is what I bought:

http://www.heartlandproducts.net/har...ar-7-125-long/

Old 01-17-2016, 02:00 PM
modular
Stellar HDF Member

Received 285 Likes on 184 Posts

Thanks for the Bungking shifter linkage note. I'll be picking one up myself.

Old 01-18-2016, 07:28 AM
Nikolaiownz
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Aiight great.. i am starting doing this this week... thanks for the write up

Old 12-10-2016, 06:26 AM
WMX124
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Thank you for doing this write-up. I was able to use this information to go from footboards to the new "further forward" mid controls found on the new lowrider. Very helpful to have this step by step guide with pictures!

Old 12-10-2016, 01:59 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by WMX124
Thank you for doing this write-up. I was able to use this information to go from footboards to the new "further forward" mid controls found on the new lowrider. Very helpful to have this step by step guide with pictures!
Great to know this Thread is still helping people out! My top 2 favorite mods are the mid controls and the 30T front pulley - really makes a big difference for a reasonable price. My Fat Bob is pretty much where I want it now, but my mind still wants something new to do...

Old 12-10-2016, 02:32 PM
smalls78
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

So glad this was resurrected. My jack arrives next Wed and I have all the parts sitting on my bench ready to do this. Great note on the Bung King lineage!

Old 01-02-2017, 06:48 PM
610Low
Tourer
Received 110 Likes on 65 Posts

Bought my street bob with forwards installed and picked up a set of mids for $40. Luckily i don't think I'm going to have the primary mods you needed to make, but my spline isn't sitting far enough out. Gonna use this as a reference when I attack this over the winter.

Old 05-09-2017, 12:32 PM
FXD_noob
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HD Pilot
Going to install my first new part for the mid controls today - transmission shifter rod lever.
The instructions that I referenced earlier(mids to fwds) has you mark the casting split so that the new shifter lever has the same orientation. Might be hard to see but I marked the split with a black Sharpie on the splined end of the shifter pawl lever:

OH so that's why you have to change the shifter. THe 05 FXD I bought came with forwards and I just switched to mids without changing the shifter lever. Months later, my bike stopped downshifting and there was freeplay in that area. Wonder if the loss of downshifting had to do with not changing or at least tightening that shifter lever.

Old 05-31-2017, 06:46 PM
streetjoebob
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

bump!

i am switching back to mid controls, thanks for this thread! but i have a question...

i bought the Primary Locking Tool, and i just need to know what its for, and how to use it?

Old 06-07-2017, 10:15 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by streetjoebob
bump!

i am switching back to mid controls, thanks for this thread! but i have a question...

i bought the Primary Locking Tool, and i just need to know what its for, and how to use it?
This tool will help you remove the compensator bolt and the clutch locknut, so you can get to the inner primary cover.

Quick Reply: Dyna Fwds to Mids Mod