Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ammo can for bags - pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 08:45 AM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Ammo can for bags - pics

I've tried several options for putting various bags for small storage items on my last 2 bikes, and I've never really been completely happy with the results. I also recently bought some HD quick detach bags off of a fellow forum member in hopes that would be what I wanted. After installing them on my bike, it just wasn't what I was looking for. They are great, but not what I want. BTW, these will be for sale soon..

So....I've been tossing around the idea for a while of making my own out of some kind of brackets and ammo cans. I thought it would be cool.

After some research, I decided I want to try the Easy Brackets, so I bought a set for my bike for $150, and bought 2 50cal ammo cans yesterday at the local Rural King farm store for $30 for both.

I installed the hardware last night for the brackets, which took all of 10 minutes, marked up boxes to drill holes to match up to the brackets, drilled the holes, then mounted the boxes to the brackets using 3/8" stainless bolts.
On a side note, I also installed some quick detach HD hardware for installing a QD backrest. I don't have one right now, but I will at some point, so decided to do it while I'm at it. The Easy Bracket kit I bought has the longer bolts for doing this.

Then I put them on the bike to mock it up and see how it looked. I like it!
The Easy Brackets are solid as hell, and the cans are the perfect size. This setup is rock solid. The hardware for the Easy Brackets is stainless, and solid. They are awesome.

Now, I need to either get the cans powder coated, or rattle can them black. I was originally going to PC them, but after further thought I think I'm just going to rattle can them. This way if they get scratched then I can just touch them up with the rattle can. Plus it's cheap and easy.

I may even use something like spray on bed liner type of stuff for some texture and durability.

I'm also either going to rivet the handles down, or remove them all together so they don't rattle. I don't need them anyway, so I'll probably just remove them.

Here are some pics of them mocked up on my bike unpainted.

Attached Thumbnails Ammo can for bags - pics-1.jpg   Ammo can for bags - pics-2.jpg   Ammo can for bags - pics-4.jpg  

Last edited by Sharkman73; 03-05-2015 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:44 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

Looks good! Like to see how they turn out.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:17 AM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 733 Likes on 504 Posts

Friend, I do not share your compassion for these on your bike but happy for you that you dig them.
You have a stellar bike and I don't think they measure up to it so, I would say do whatever is possible to make them look great, I would paint match them amber whiskey, that would be different and sharp, my opinion I know, just giving feedback, hope that's what you were looking for.

If those are the real McCoy's then if I remember correctly there are rubber seals on the lid, don't know if you can PC them with those in there and I think they are crimped in, heck, maybe you can get them out and then reinstall if you PC them.

Rattle can them, on your bike, puuuleeeeezzzzzzeeeeee!

With your bike, either keep it 1st Class or, or, or I don't know.

This is how it is striking me at the moment, who knows what I'll think hours from now.

Side note: Seat looks good.

Thought: Paint the "saddle cans" (I think I just made that up "Saddle Cans") matching Amber Whiskey with a matching set of black stripes as on the tank. Now that's 1st Class

Last edited by Suede Blue Man; 03-05-2015 at 10:22 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:37 AM
Ape_Hanger
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharkman73
Now, I need to either get the cans powder coated, or rattle can them black. I was originally going to PC them, but after further thought I think I'm just going to rattle can them. This way if they get scratched then I can just touch them up with the rattle can. Plus it's cheap and easy.
If you want something DIY and more durable than regular spray paint, I would use Rustoleum appliance epoxy or VHT Epoxy Rollbar and Chassis paint. Yeah it takes 7 days to cure before you can mess around with the parts but the stuff is amazingly durable for a rattle can. No primer needed, just scuff them up real good. About $8 a can or so. The Rustoleum can be found at Walmart, the VHT is primarily sold at auto parts stores.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:14 AM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member

I like your term "saddle can"...I'm stealing that one man, I like it!

I think I'm going to go with a wrinkle finish of some kind....may do some experimenting. If I screw it up then I'll start over or buy more cans...they are cheap.

My bike is a little different already looks-wise, but I like the contrast of some gloss black, some wrinkle black, some color, and a little chrome. I think that combination makes my bike what it is from an appearance standpoint.

I think the Dougz fairing on my bike adds to its attitude, and I think the ammo cans will add to that as well. I guess we'll see.

Everything I've done to my bike so far has a purpose....performance, function, comfort, along with some attitude. I'm hoping these are useful for hauling some smaller **** around with me, and look descent on the bike in the process.

Yeah, they're the real McCoys with seals.

I like the idea of painted to match the tank, but my goal here is to keep it simple, inexpensive and functional for now.
Honestly, these are only going to be on the bike when I actually need them to haul some **** around with me, which won't be every day, so I don't want to put a ton of time and money into them just yet. If I ride with them all summer and am really happy with them and decide I'm finally content, then I will consider paint matching, etc.

& thanks on the seat....it's damned supportive and comfortable while still looking descent and not too much.

Thanks for your thoughts and input....appreciate your honest opinion.

Originally Posted by Suede Blue Man
Friend, I do not share your compassion for these on your bike but happy for you that you dig them.
You have a stellar bike and I don't think they measure up to it so, I would say do whatever is possible to make them look great, I would paint match them amber whiskey, that would be different and sharp, my opinion I know, just giving feedback, hope that's what you were looking for.

If those are the real McCoy's then if I remember correctly there are rubber seals on the lid, don't know if you can PC them with those in there and I think they are crimped in, heck, maybe you can get them out and then reinstall if you PC them.

Rattle can them, on your bike, puuuleeeeezzzzzzeeeeee!

With your bike, either keep it 1st Class or, or, or I don't know.

This is how it is striking me at the moment, who knows what I'll think hours from now.

Side note: Seat looks good.

Thought: Paint the "saddle cans" (I think I just made that up "Saddle Cans") matching Amber Whiskey with a matching set of black stripes as on the tank. Now that's 1st Class

Last edited by Sharkman73; 03-05-2015 at 11:16 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:23 AM
DesertDyna
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would even leave the handles in place...that way when you go to remove them, you have something to hold onto... I also love the easy brackets on my bike...as I only put bags in place for trips. I may make a set of "cans" for my bike too...especially as I can then lock up guns/ammo when going to or from the range. Cant currently do that.

Just wondering...are you going to paint them black? the green doesnt compliment your bike well.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:26 AM
Daddy454
Road Master
Received 316 Likes on 144 Posts

I may get the hate,'cuz I know it's your bike to do what you want,but I am NOT feeling those cans.Seems too utilitarian to me for a ride that nice.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:27 AM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member

Yeah, lol
See above posts....thinking of a textured black finish.

Originally Posted by DesertDyna
I would even leave the handles in place...that way when you go to remove them, you have something to hold onto... I also love the easy brackets on my bike...as I only put bags in place for trips. I may make a set of "cans" for my bike too...especially as I can then lock up guns/ammo when going to or from the range. Cant currently do that.

Just wondering...are you going to paint them black? the green doesnt compliment your bike well.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:50 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

What about a gloss black to match your fairing? Or maybe that will look like add on parts that you didn't get for the bike....hell I don't know, so you probably should not listen to me! LOL
It would be really easy to remove and replace those with the handles still on, like was said before by Desert.
Maybe you got something with the wrinkle.....make them stand out, but blend in at the same time.
Using the brackets is freaking genius....you can have several different set ups if you want....saddle cans, soft bags, etc. I realize this is probably not what you are going for, but it would work.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:19 PM
DesertDyna
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 30cal ammo can would be a bit more narrow and not stick out so far. You got ME thinking now.... lol

Quick Reply: Ammo can for bags - pics