Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flush mount gascap/fuel guage on fatbob tank advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 05:41 PM
ChromeBlows
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Flush mount gascap/fuel guage on fatbob tank advice

Just picked up a flushmount tank kit for the gas cap and fuel guage for my 2014 fatbob.the instructions call to remove the existing fuel guage with the manual's instructions.I don't yet have a set of service/electrical manuals to refer to.could use some advice on how to remove the existing fuel guage!

Old 03-20-2015, 06:11 PM
joe40x
Road Warrior
Received 656 Likes on 383 Posts

Pull up and it will release. Do Not Twist!

Old 03-20-2015, 06:28 PM
AdamM
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm not sure about the fatbob, but on my 14 street bob you twisted counterclockwise a quarter turn and the gauge popped right out

Old 03-20-2015, 07:02 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,407 Posts

You should loosen the fuel tank and remove the front bolt so you can pull it up. You can do it without this, but it's a right old pain in the ****.

You will also need to either cut the wires from the old fuel gauge where it joins the connector as it won't pull through the tube that goes though the tank), or de-pin the connector. Doesn't make much difference as you have to feed the wires from the new gauge through the tank and then put the pins into the connector anyway.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:08 PM
joe40x
Road Warrior
Received 656 Likes on 383 Posts

Might be different for 2014. For the 2013 fat bob, the wires disconnect from the bottom of the gauge.
Ref. page 7-46, 2013 service manual.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:28 PM
clap
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You do not have to touch the tank. Under the left side of tank there is a wire comming out of tube in tank , follow it to a plug. Unplug and de pin the wires , and mark on a paper or take a pic of what wire came from what slot. Pull old gauge out of tank and pull wire up out of tube. Put new wire down in the tube and then follow directions on gauge install. Put wires in plug . There should be a new plug with the kit. after wires are in new plug plug it into bikes harness and your done. When you install trim around gas cap make sure you clean tank good with rubbing alcohol and let dry. I warmed up tank and tape on ring with a hair dryer then installed trim and it stuck good. Just make sure you get the trim centered and turn it till it seats on the tank all the way around. and mark it so you get it in place before you take tape cover off. When you depin wires take a paper clip and bend it straight and push it in just above wire inside the plug and gently pull wires out the back. And you have to lift a piece of plastic on the plug in the rear for wires to pull out. It just locks wires in the plug

Last edited by clap; 03-20-2015 at 08:32 PM.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:07 PM
ChromeBlows
Cruiser

thanks guys....I'm a low voltage guru by trade so the wirin aint no biggie,but I didn't know how to remove the guage from the tank...twist it,pull it,punch it,whatever.Didn't take a look at all under the tank just yet so at least I know what I'm gettin into which dont sound complicated.I am worried about gettin that trim ring rightly centered before I get it all stuck on the tank so I'm thinkin of ways to guide it in place with some kind of dowl cuzz my eyes aint as sharp and my hands a wee bit shakey in these over the hump years.

Old 03-20-2015, 09:31 PM
STRES
Road Captain
Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

I hope this helped, basically find the cable below the tank and disconnect then de-pin the connector. pull up on the gauge firmly to release then reverse for install.

To align the trim ring I used a piece of masking tape until I got the trim ring where I wanted it (with the gas cap on and fully depressed), then stuck both down used an exacto knife to seperate the masking tape, pulled the sticker off the back of the trim ring re-aligned the masking tape and pressed firmly.

Good luck!

Old 03-20-2015, 10:00 PM
ChromeBlows
Cruiser

perfect Stres...thats the picture I needed to see!!!

Old 03-20-2015, 10:07 PM
STRES
Road Captain
Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Anytime I'm here all night!

Quick Reply: Flush mount gascap/fuel guage on fatbob tank advice