Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New bearings on CAM swap?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 02:30 PM
Wghussey
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default New bearings on CAM swap?

I am considering putting a set of CR-575 cams in my 2010 FXDWG. The motor is stock with 3700 miles on and and I wanted to know if I could get away with not replacing the cam bearings. I know I should put new Timken bearing in but the cost of the tools to pull them and seat new ones negates the benefit of doing it myself to save money.

It would cost me about $800 as a DYI if I buy the cam removal plate, mandrel and lifter holders and about $900 to pay for them to be installed.

Without changing the bearings, I could do it for about $500.

Thoughts?

Old 05-05-2015, 02:38 PM
Fester the Fox
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the tools and bearings of ebay US for $99, just do a search, as we say in the UK cheap as chips.

Old 05-05-2015, 02:38 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts
Default New bearings on CAM swap?

If you can't do it right yourself, get someone to help you. Or bite the bullet and hire it out.

The bearings are cheap. I don't understand why they don't install them in the first place. They save $5 on $20k bike.

Old 05-05-2015, 02:41 PM
Wghussey
Tourer

I know, I hate when they skimp on motor internals.

Old 05-05-2015, 02:43 PM
Wghussey
Tourer

Originally Posted by Fester the Fox
I got the tools and bearings of ebay US for $99, just do a search, as we say in the UK cheap as chips.

Well damn! You're correct, I just found them there for $100.

Old 05-05-2015, 02:47 PM
Harleyvetteguy
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would advise against it. I just completed a cam change myself on a very low mileage breakout. I was forced with the same decision that you are facing now. One of the forum members gave me the same advice that I am about to give to you. "The tools sell very well on e-bay. You will recoup a large portion of your investment". I did not sell my set. I am going to keep the tools for now but I did follow some cam removal/installation tools on eBay before I bought my set and they all seemed to sell pretty well.

That might me one option for you.

Old 05-05-2015, 02:53 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Well the bearing differences are pretty substantial and for $15 well worth the replacement. Not sure about your situation but many here simply buy the bearing puller/installer from heartland tools and then sell it right after. In my case the tool cost me $15 by the time I was done with shipping to a buyer.

edit, well jeez there were no replies when I was typing this initially!

Old 05-09-2015, 09:39 AM
SquidHead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I paid a local indy to do my first cam swap two years ago. I brought them all the parts needed, including new Torrington bearings. When I did my own swap a couple weeks ago, guess what bearings were in there...the original stock bearings.

I say buy the tools and do it (right) yourself. Unfortunately, I've learned from many personal experiences that you can't trust anyone else to do the job right. From dealers to indy shops, I've found mistakes and omissions. Some, like the indy who forgot to retorque my stem nut, were just negligent.

I used this
Heartland all in one tool Heartland all in one tool
(puller and installer), and it worked just fine. It's $95 shipped.

Old 05-09-2015, 09:53 AM
tstroud
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, just buy the tool and sell it in the classifieds here when you are done. Or maybe buy a used on in the classifieds here.
There was a thread here somewhere where someone was renting one out too. I think it is in the touring classifieds.

Old 05-09-2015, 01:56 PM
Lama
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

All you need is the $59 heartland puller. Use one of the old cams to tap in the new bearings after you have frozen them in your freezer. Simple.

Quick Reply: New bearings on CAM swap?