Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do i prevent my bike from stolen from Apartment block?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 01:29 AM
2015 Harley Davidson Street Bob Guy's Avatar
2015 Harley Davidson Street Bob Guy
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How do i prevent my bike from stolen from Apartment block?

It looks like i will probably end up living in an apartment in the near future - how do i prevent my bike from being stolen? My bike is fully insured but i still dont wanna get raped by bike thieves !!!

Should i buy a bike cover to minimize it from being seen when it's parked in apartment complex? I had my bicycle stolen as well as my jet ski and it really sucks living in apartment complex - dealing with those *** hole insurance assessors are a pain in the *** they would treat us like fraudsters so they could get away with not paying us out !!!

Last edited by 2015 Harley Davidson Street Bob Guy; 06-09-2015 at 01:32 AM.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:44 AM
Re-load
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trade your Harley for a Honda VTX and nobody will want to steal it!!! LOL

Old 06-09-2015, 01:46 AM
Jay/xl iron883
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put a gps tracker on it aswell,another trick is fishing line tied to a light or buzzer or even a bottle when pulled it will smash and wake up everyone just a few things to think about.

Old 06-09-2015, 01:47 AM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

Ride it into the apartment and keep it in your spare bedroom (sounds goofy but I knew someone who did this with a small metric-11th floor, no less).

Old 06-09-2015, 02:20 AM
BigEasyRider
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Security Camera with motion detect area around your Harley
PC/MOBILE PHONE/TABLET Sends Email and Sounds alarm when Motion is Detected around My Harley, also records live video to my Mobile Phone/PC

That's my Setup, also have a storage rental that I can keep my Harley in as well :-)

Old 06-09-2015, 03:03 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

This is what I do with my bike but I do not live in an apartment complex...
Anchored a heavy duty ring bolt into the ground where the bike will be parked and use heavy krytonite chain to secure the rear wheel. Use a disc lock for the front wheel and cover the bike. This will prevent the bike from being rolled away.
I also have a HD smart alarm and smart siren on the bike which has a starter kill....you will be able hear anyone messing with your bike. It chirps three times if tampered with and will sound if it continues.
A cover is a good deterrent since the thieves can not see the bike and they will probably opt to move on to the next bike. Thieve don't want to waste time figuring out if it is worth stealing.
My added security is I place the bike in a fenced yard with two watch dogs roaming the property. Obviously, impractical for apartments.
Kind of overkill but hope you get the point....one other suggestion is to get a stall where there it is in the open with activity/traffic and not in a dark corner. A storage unit is also a good suggestion from bigeasyrider if the bike is not a daily rider.

Old 06-09-2015, 04:08 AM
2015 Harley Davidson Street Bob Guy's Avatar
2015 Harley Davidson Street Bob Guy
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you all for the suggestions

Old 06-09-2015, 06:14 AM
STRES
Road Captain
Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Default How do i prevent my bike from stolen from Apartment block?

Go the cheap route and do the $6.00 radio shack piezo siren DIY install, it's better than paying for the $100 HD siren.

Old 06-09-2015, 06:36 AM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member
Received 180 Likes on 139 Posts

first off make sure the bike is allowed at the apartment complex you are looking at and don't just assume because you see them in the lot they are allowed don't ask me how I know this..

I think your best bet is an alarm/siren with a large chain and padlock then a good quality cover, always park dead center of the spot too because people will inevitably over hang each side when parking their cars.. if you face the spot where you can park then the video camera idea is AWESOME!!

Old 06-09-2015, 07:15 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 790 Likes on 601 Posts

Inexpensive, cheap, no name motorcycle cover under $25 USA dollars.
The cover keeps people from sitting on bike or standing about looking at the bike.
Less reason for anybody to be around the bike.
Make sure to secure the cover.
A rotor lock with the orange reminder cord (slows theft process a few seconds).
A plastic coated coated cable lock through a wheel and frame for extended parking (do not lay cable on floor) and this will slow the theft process a few seconds.
An alarm or security system on the bike. There are different price ranges from $50-infinity. Confuses a determined thief for a few seconds.
Even a simple kill switch or momentary switch installed with a relay can make a start more difficult.
Oddly enough i find the motorcycle cover makes bike look larger and cages park a little further when it is used. Avoid black covers because they are harder to see at night.
Think layers of security..sometimes a couple of seconds makes a difference.

Quick Reply: How do i prevent my bike from stolen from Apartment block?