Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FF Helmet Suggestions for 2015 & Street Bob

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 08:05 PM
sknyfats
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool FF Helmet Suggestions for 2015 & Street Bob

Not looking to start a helmet debate, but I've come to the conclusion I must start wearing a FF if I choose to continue riding.

I sold my last bike almost 2 years ago because:

-I was personally in 4 car accidents in a years time - none my fault - all as a result of drivers dicking with their phones
-my wife was in 2 car accidents - same causes - in the same year
-I know stuff happens - and I've know people who've lost limbs and died while riding, but since about 2009 - it seems much more frequent

When I started riding - I feared drunk drivers and deer as the two biggest risks to me (I know there are plenty of others - but those were two I felt were mostly out of my control). I felt confident that my skill and attention would help limit risk of an accident (along with don't get too crazy, don't ride hammered, etc).

I believe times have definitely changed. But - I can't stay away. I LOVE riding. So I picked up another Street Bob to scratch that itch.

I've had full face helmets in the past. And wore them a few times and then put'em back in their bags because I hated wearing them.

This time around - I'm forcing myself to wear a full face, or don't ride at all.

I have read a TON of stuff on helmets lately; many from here but most that were pretty dated. The biggest thing I got from it was:

Make sure you get a helmet that truly fits you perfectly.

That will make my new rule easier to stick to.

So, with all that said…what are the best, lightest, coolest (airflow), and nicest looking helmets that are affordable that I can wear on my matte black Street Bob nowadays? Current models.

Funny what a "major decision" this is that I have mixed feelings about...I'm a pretty skinny guy with a long head. Helmets look horrible on me. I know I will look "different" going to the places I go wearing or carrying a FF. Won't bother me too much - but it'll bother me, sure. Oh well. I want that added protection on my dome while I ride. That's all there is to it.

Thanks for the input and please, let's NOT make this about helmet vs no helmet or 1/2 vs 3/4 vs FF. My decisions is made. I just want help in making the actual helmet choice.

Old 08-16-2015, 08:10 PM
Lotaluck
Tourer
Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts

Not sure where your at in NE ohio, but if your are close to North Canton check out Kames. They have full face Kali helmets on sale for $25. Marked down from $180. I bought one for riding in the colder months.

Old 08-16-2015, 08:36 PM
Gadgetech
Club Member
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

I'd recommend checking out Revzilla, they have reviews online of a lot of helmets along with rider feedback. Another website you can check out is Web Bike World, they actually do some helmet testing from time to time. But they also write a ton of reviews. They don't sell anything either so it should be pretty unbiased. When you are ready to try some helmets, you may want to buy from Revzilla as they have a pretty generous return policy.

I personally wear an Arai Vector 2, they make helmets to fit a couple different head shapes.

Old 08-16-2015, 08:45 PM
M&P340
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I don't worry a lot about how cool I look. I wear a FF modular mostly cause I ride at night a lot without a windshield, and the bugs are THICK in my part of the country at night 7-8 mos of the year. I really like the modulars cause are so easy to get on/off. I can certianly recommend the Bell Revolver EVO, or something similar. It has a popdown shade built into the shell, which makes it handy not needing to fool with sunglasses. Plenty of air holes (that close off) so fairly cool in summer for a FF. Very comfortable. Not a lot of noise or buffeting in wind, unless I turn my head sideways, in which case the noise is deafening! Clearly, it was aerodynamically designed to face forward! It does not come with a chin air dam, but is available from Bell, which makes it a lot warmer in really cold weather. Not the superior quality of an Arai, but pretty darn good, particularly for the price IMHO.

Old 08-16-2015, 08:50 PM
2500hdon37s
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,549 Likes on 667 Posts

I wear a HJC FG-17 and love it! great venting and comfortable. The visor/ face shield is very easy to use one handed since it has the locking mechanism in the center. The chin vent has enough air flow that I can feel it tickle my hair that touches my forehead when its open.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:00 PM
traffic jam
Road Warrior
Received 691 Likes on 303 Posts

Revzilla has great info on helmets. You need to determine your headshape, which they explain. Once you know that, there are certain brands that will fit your headshape the best.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:02 PM
SixDD
Banned
Received 1,901 Likes on 1,109 Posts
Old 08-16-2015, 09:11 PM
sknyfats
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome info everyone! Feeling pretty good about my search. Appreciate the feedback on your experiences too.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:15 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I wear a full face and tried several types and styles but ended up with a modular helmet.
Why? Simple they are much easier to get on and off and they are way more comfortable.
I have a nolan N104 modular and it has the best venting system I have ever seen. If your moving you will not get hot with it closed. You can ride with the front open and the sun shade down with not helmet drag, wind pulling on the helmet.
Do a search for your size.
You can get helmets cheap but you will not have the quality that the nolan offers. I have a locker full of low cost helmets but this is the one I use. Good and rather quiet
I ended up paying $199 wich isn't to bad considering the retail cost is around $549

Old 08-16-2015, 10:44 PM
WideGlideFever
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I recently got a Arai Signet Q (upgraded from Scorpion EXO). This is by far the most expensive helmet I have ever owned. It is also by far the best helmet I have ever owned! Fits perfectly, great construction inside and out. My Scena blue tooth speakers also fit perfectly inside this helmet.

If you have a thinner, longer skull like me I would definitely recommend checking it out. Judging by the quality of their products Im sure they have one (mondel) that will fit you well.

It is a lot of $$$; but sounds like you got your priorities straight in protecting your dome; as far as I am concerned its worth the cost.

Quick Reply: FF Helmet Suggestions for 2015 & Street Bob