Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel warning light on too early

Old 09-14-2015, 03:09 PM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,123 Likes on 5,582 Posts
Default Fuel warning light on too early

I have only had the bike (2007 Street Bob) for 5 days but I have put 2 tanks of gas in it since then. It seems like my fuel warning light is coming on too early, just a little above the 1/4 tank mark. So I stopped and put fuel in it. It only took 2.6 gallons of fuel, that means there was at least another 2 gallons in the tank. My last two bikes were an Electra Glide and a Road King, both fuel injected 88 Twin Cams and both of them would turn the warning light on when there was about 1 gallon left in the tank. Could my fuel gauge be off? Are any of you guys seeing this on your bikes?

On a side note, I did average about 53 MPG on the Dyna for those 2.6 gallons but a lot of that was highway miles.

Old 09-14-2015, 03:13 PM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,116 Likes on 2,674 Posts

my fuel light doesn't go on early, I haven't run it that low, but I do find the gauge is like 1/4 tank off lol. Always reading lower than I actually have..

Old 09-14-2015, 03:24 PM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by kngpn
my fuel light doesn't go on early, I haven't run it that low, but I do find the gauge is like 1/4 tank off lol. Always reading lower than I actually have..
Interesting, do any of you others have a gauge that reads too low? Anyone know of a fix? It drives me nuts riding around with a warning light on the dash, especially if it shouldn't be there in the first place.

Old 09-14-2015, 04:24 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 968 Likes on 731 Posts

Your fuel gauge is off. Just like most of them.
I have the same bike and when the low fuel light comes on I've got about half a tank left. For the sake of accuracy I use one of the trip meters. As long as I go by that I don't care is there's a light on. Since I really haven't seen anyone with a good fix I'm not gonna worry about it.

Old 09-14-2015, 04:35 PM
ZROADSTER
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ahh yes , the old manual reserve lever on our carb. bikes .
No idiot lights or other bells & whistles , just basic motorcycle simplicity !

Old 09-14-2015, 04:39 PM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by nevil
For the sake of accuracy I use one of the trip meters.
That's what I am doing now too. I still think it sucks to have to burn through a half tank of gas with a warning light on though

Old 09-14-2015, 06:50 PM
Twospot
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Fuel warning light on too early

Also, the pump may not allow you to really fill to capacity. The donkey d*cks on the nozzles are different at every station I find and vary how much fuel you can put. So maybe there really isn't a full tank when you start out. Also as stated above the accuracy isn't perfect

Old 09-14-2015, 07:42 PM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Twospot
Also, the pump may not allow you to really fill to capacity. The donkey d*cks on the nozzles are different at every station I find and vary how much fuel you can put. So maybe there really isn't a full tank when you start out. Also as stated above the accuracy isn't perfect
I had that happen on a Sportster once and almost ran out of gas thinking I had a full tank when it was only a little more than 3/4 full. Since then I actually make it a habit to look inside the tank when I fill up. Both times I filled the bike it was an inch or two from the top of the top

Old 09-14-2015, 07:52 PM
Dyna rider 78
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by boe1971200
I have only had the bike (2007 Street Bob) for 5 days but I have put 2 tanks of gas in it since then. It seems like my fuel warning light is coming on too early, just a little above the 1/4 tank mark. So I stopped and put fuel in it. It only took 2.6 gallons of fuel, that means there was at least another 2 gallons in the tank. My last two bikes were an Electra Glide and a Road King, both fuel injected 88 Twin Cams and both of them would turn the warning light on when there was about 1 gallon left in the tank. Could my fuel gauge be off? Are any of you guys seeing this on your bikes?

On a side note, I did average about 53 MPG on the Dyna for those 2.6 gallons but a lot of that was highway miles.
I also have a 2007 and I noticed once I added the tank lift that the gas gauge lights up earlier now. I think its a 2in lift. Was fine before that.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:11 PM
kontiki
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,279 Likes on 1,155 Posts

My light comes on at about 1/4 tank left. I've proven this several times by filling up and noting the amount of fuel I put in the tank and the miles on the clock. When the light comes on bet I safely have about 40 miles.

I don't really care because I'm used to going by the clock anyway. The gas gauge is cool to look at but don't take it seriously.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel warning light on too early