Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Dyna Glide Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models-9/)
-   -   Exhaust options... (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/1074591-exhaust-options.html)

SHORTY 13 10-03-2015 01:11 PM

Exhaust options for dyna with slammer shocks???

I know this topic has been beat to death but, i like doing my research and getting feedback from people who have been there / done that.

I ride a 2007 fxd and have installed slammer shocks. The front end is stock height. I love the look except for 2 things visually.

1: A "straight" exhaust now points down at the ground slightly
2: The angle of the swingarm when compared to the exhaust is now way off.

So i've narrowed down my search to a 2 into 1 upswept or megaphone style exhaust. I'm wondering if anyone out there has a similar suspension set up as i do and what exhaust they went with.

Any other exhaust feedback would be great. I dont plan on any internal mods to the motor. A/c, exhaust, and tuner is all i plan on doing.

In order of importance when it comes to exhaust...
1: look - has to please my ocd when it comes to relation with swingarm, ground, etc
2: sound - deep, low, booming, chest thumping sound
3: performance - emphasis on low end torque

thanks in advance

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y75...003_130645.jpg

misfitJason 10-03-2015 05:23 PM

Put stock height shocks back in. Whammo! Now you exhaust doesn't look goofy. Your bike doesn't handle like crap. And the lines match up.

Seriously though. I vote for the rsd 2-1 upsweep

dyna rider 10-03-2015 05:30 PM

New Pipe

Stock shocks and an RB Racing pipe...

SHORTY 13 10-03-2015 05:42 PM

Yeah I've thought about putting taller shocks on but I really like the way the fender hugs the rear tire with the slammer shocks.

I'm shocked (pun intended) that no one on here runs slammers or any other short shock.

Racqueteer9 10-03-2015 06:05 PM

Thats's because you can't run slammers or any other short shocks. You can crawl, stumble and scrape your way around corners with them. Of course, I've always thought motorcycles were made for riding more than posing. That's why I bought a Dyna instead of a Softail.

SHORTY 13 10-03-2015 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Racqueteer9 (Post 14450772)
Thats's because you can't run slammers or any other short shocks. You can crawl, stumble and scrape your way around corners with them. Of course, I've always thought motorcycles were made for riding more than posing. That's why I bought a Dyna instead of a Softail.

I like your attitude and straight forward answer. I have scraped a few times for sure. The main reason for the short shocks is that I'm short and have never been able to actually sit down on a bike before lol. It's a nice feeling to be able to have your legs bent with heels on the ground. I have come from a sport bike where I'm all peewee hermaned out on the tips of my toes. As for riding, I put 50k on my sport bike in 6 years and did 1200 miles in 18 hours once and 2500 in 3 days as well. I'm no stranger to racking up miles and my dyna won't be a parking lot pimp or a garage queen. I just like the old school hugger fender / raked look with a modern touch.

fxdlx 10-03-2015 06:25 PM

Don't sweat the different opinions. Some people have a cow if the lower frame rails aren't level. Set it up how you like it. The cool thing is, you can change it if you ever want to.
An upswept exhaust would look better in my opinion too.

Clubber 10-03-2015 06:29 PM

I think the pipes look fine at that angle. Shows off the low back end.

SHORTY 13 10-03-2015 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by fxdlx (Post 14450801)
Don't sweat the different opinions. Some people have a cow if the lower frame rails aren't level. Set it up how you like it. The cool thing is, you can change it if you ever want to.
An upswept exhaust would look better in my opinion too.

Thanks. I am kinda overwhelmed with options though. My two previous bikes, buell and honda, had very little aftermarket support and now with the dyna... Geez. It took me a week to finally decide on on a joker view tech 7 mirror lol. As for exhaust I'm leaning towards something like the bassani up swept road rage or thunderheaders. I work at a metric shop so I get a ridiculous discount on anything out of drag specialties or harddrive but would have to pay retail for thunderheaders or anything hd. I originally thought, we'll if I wanted performance I'd keep my sporty bikes but now I'm thinking maybe I can have both comfort and performance with a compromise on seat height and pick up a better / taller set of shocks...

fxdlx 10-03-2015 06:44 PM

Price then looks thats my order of preference. I make or modify baffles to get the sound and performance right.