Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sudden Loss of Rear Brake

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 04:18 PM
CWS
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sudden Loss of Rear Brake

Riding my '06 Street Bob home last night, and as I saw some cops up ahead, I decided to drag the rear brake a little bit, because my rear running light is out. It worked, and I didn't get pulled over, but right as I went to let off the rear brake, there was sort of a pop, and the rear brake pedal went to the floor. No more rear brakes. It looks like the linkage is all on and good, and there's no brake fluid leaking. What can I do to fix my rear brake? Any suggestions? Thank you.

Old 10-22-2015, 04:37 PM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

master cylinder seal bypass?

Old 10-22-2015, 04:47 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,388 Likes on 2,952 Posts

You're riding at night and your rear running light is out? That's gutsy.

To your problem, you probably threw a puck...

Old 10-22-2015, 05:35 PM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

if you are sure that all the mechanical stuff is good, then stop dicking around with it and get a rear master cylinder repair kit p/n 42382-87E ~$55 shipped from surdyke, plus a pint of brake fluid, rebuild the master and flush the system fluid, bleed, and ride on for another 10 years. And, if you have 10 years on those rear pads, they probably are pretty thin as well if you use the rear brake so hit those while you are there. One hour and one beer break, tops.

Old 10-22-2015, 11:02 PM
CWS
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
You're riding at night and your rear running light is out? That's gutsy.

To your problem, you probably threw a puck...
Yeah I work swing shift haha, been too busy with work and school to look at it. I replaced the bulb because everything was out and now I only have brake lights

Threw a puck? What do you mean

Old 10-22-2015, 11:23 PM
OG1
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

check your rotor for warpage and also wheel bearings. does it come back if you pump it?

Old 10-23-2015, 09:57 AM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by skinman13
if you are sure that all the mechanical stuff is good, then stop dicking around with it and get a rear master cylinder repair kit p/n 42382-87E ~$55 shipped from surdyke, plus a pint of brake fluid, rebuild the master and flush the system fluid, bleed, and ride on for another 10 years. And, if you have 10 years on those rear pads, they probably are pretty thin as well if you use the rear brake so hit those while you are there. One hour and one beer break, tops.
What he said

Old 10-23-2015, 12:19 PM
ToffeeBrown
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skinman13
this^

Old 10-23-2015, 12:26 PM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7,838 Likes on 3,236 Posts

Not sure what the problem was, but this is what I imagined: http://www.popsci.com/cars/article/2...proach-braking

Old 10-23-2015, 11:45 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,388 Likes on 2,952 Posts

Originally Posted by CWS
Yeah I work swing shift haha, been too busy with work and school to look at it. I replaced the bulb because everything was out and now I only have brake lights

Threw a puck? What do you mean
Throwing a puck is when you have worn your brake pads down to where the pad itself becomes dislodged in the caliper, and gets "thrown" out, thus rendering zero brakes. I ask as you mentioned a "boom" type sound just before the failure. Happens to Audi's too...

Quick Reply: Sudden Loss of Rear Brake