Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 fxdi wiring dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 07:46 AM
Freeride800
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 fxdi wiring dilemma

Hey everyone. Newbie post so be gentle. I just recently joined the Harley Davidson family by picking up an 04 fxdi with 19k miles. I'm beginning to gather aftermarket parts as usual And I have a few questions. I just picked up some wild one 8" drag bars, blinker relocation kit and a chrome headlight (stock was rusted). My questions are I tried pulling the stock bars off but cannot find the plugs where the wires disconnect. I pulled the little rubber plug on the right hand side of the frame and couldn't find any plugs or connectors? Am I missing something? Do I need to pull the tank? Also will I need to extend the cables and wiring for the 8" drag bars? Also going to move the speedo onto the bars. unsure if I want to use the accutronix mount or the la choppers mount.. Opinions would be nice. Thanks in advance for all the help.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:05 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

I would imaging the frame is pretty much the same as the newer frames, so I would recommend looking under the neck where the top tub and the down tube meet and seeing if there is a plastic cover there. If there is you can pull this cover off and find your plugs under it. I remove the front tank bolt and lift the tank a little and place a 2x4 between it and the top of the motor for a little more access. Just behind the front part of the tank (4-6" from the neck) on the each side frame there might be a plastic tab (part of the cover) you can push in to fully remove the plastic cover.

I can't answer as to if you'll wires or cables will be long enough, sorry.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:11 AM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Freeride800
I pulled the little rubber plug on the right hand side of the frame and couldn't find any plugs or connectors?
They're in there, ya just gotta pull a little bit.

Old 02-04-2016, 12:04 PM
04FXDI
Stellar HDF Member
Received 806 Likes on 540 Posts

I just picked up some wild one 8" drag bars, My questions are I tried pulling the stock bars off but cannot find the plugs where the wires disconnect.
I doubt you'll need longer cables or wires. I added a riser to my stock 04, and the current measurements are nearly identical to that of installing the W1 8's. I didn't have the money to do those bars at the time so I went a lil less expensive route to get more comfort. Good luck, like to know how you make out.

Old 02-04-2016, 12:07 PM
04FXDI
Stellar HDF Member
Old 02-04-2016, 12:36 PM
clap
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

On the backbone (top frame) on the bottom up by the neck you will see a plastic cover , it pulls down out and all the plugs will be in there. It is easier with the tank removed but can be done with the tank on the bike. They sorta ball up the wires so don't go tugging on the wires you could just cause yourself more trouble. Should be , I think 5 plugs in there 2 for bars , 2 for the turn signals and 1 for ing. switch. If you don't have a service manual I have a clymer manual for 99 - 2003 Dyna. Everything in an 04 should be the same. I let you have for $25 shipped. Everybody said Harley manual only but I find the Clymer books are more for the laymen. Everything is explained better in it. Dave C either PM me or here is my email dwclapper@embarqmail.com

Last edited by clap; 02-04-2016 at 12:40 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:33 PM
Freeride800
Stage III

Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to dig back into it this weekend when I get time. I ordered a new headlight and the accutronix speedo mount last night. Does the headlight wiring go through the frame to a connector aswell? The only cover I saw on the frame was on the throttle side right behind the down tube. It was rubber maybe 2"x3" big. It was zip tied to some of the wiring on the back side. I'll have to check underneath this weekend for the other cover. Thanks again guys. I'll keep you updated

Old 02-04-2016, 01:52 PM
04FXDI
Stellar HDF Member

Did you order a top mount headlight? The assemble on the 04's have that visor over the top, thats where the light mounts. I hate that top mount, I've considered on of these to take the sting out that ugly look lol.

http://jokermachine.com/products/har...t-bracket.html

TI ordered a new headlight and the accutronix speedo mount last night.

Old 02-04-2016, 02:01 PM
Freeride800
Stage III

Yes it is a top mount. I believe it's drag specialties but I'm not 100% sure on that. The paint chipped off the stock headlight and it was almost rusted through. Eventually I would like to find something else to get rid of that hood thing but for now it'll do. I honestly just wanna ride it haha. I've gone 8 years without a bike and before this one I had an 03 Kawasaki zx6rr.

Old 02-04-2016, 02:15 PM
04FXDI
Stellar HDF Member

Enjoy it, I went well over 20yrs before I got another bike lol. Life gets in the way sometimes.

I've gone 8 years without a bike and before this one I had an 03 Kawasaki zx6rr.

Quick Reply: 04 fxdi wiring dilemma