Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions about starting bike after extended layoff

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 02:18 PM
srshaw
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Opinions about starting bike after extended layoff

I bought my 2010 Fatbob new in May 2010 and it had the 1k service a couple of months later and I used it regularly throughout 2010, racking up about 2k miles

Although I rode it a couple of times in 2011, I damaged knee ligaments later that year and didn't ride again. The bike hasn't been ridden or started since. It has been kept in a warmish garage ever since and cosmetically on the outside looks like new.

The battery may be toast but has been left on a charger. At least the lights work but haven't tried cranking it yet. I have pulled the plugs rolled the bike and the engine hasn't seized or anything, but I am wondering about the best thing to do next.

Obviously an oil change is in order, And I have bought some Syn 3 for the engine and Formula plus for Transmission and primary. Should I change the oil before starting the engine or run the engine until warm using the old oil and then change? Or even both, change the old oil cold, run it and change oil again? I'll probably change the brake fluid as well.

Obviously such an extended layoff isn't ideal, but I also own a Honda VFR750 which I hadn't used since even earlier due to me buying the Harley, and last year changed the oil and battery and it started an ran fine (even with the old fuel), I'm hoping my Harley will do the same.

Old 03-22-2016, 02:23 PM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,928 Likes on 2,568 Posts

Opinions will vary greatly on this topic, here is my opinion.

To start the bike I would drain the fuel and clean the carb/throttle body with some carb cleaner. Fresh gas and I would give it a crank and see what happens. If it starts, get her nice and warmed up and maybe a quick ride around the block, not much firther. THEN change all the fluids.

After that check your manual and do everything that should have been done over the years, grease the axels/wheel bearings, maybe change brake fluid, check the tires looking for dry rot and maybe a new battery will be in order.

Besides that you really should not have a big problem.

Old 03-22-2016, 02:31 PM
canadayman
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if it were me i would change the oil before starting it,I would replace the battery just for peace of mind, also dump the old fuel from the tank you can do that by taking a two liter bottle cutting in half and leaving the spout on use it as a funnel and attach a hose to the spout to catch the old fuel and take off one end off the cross over tube then i would fire it up let it warm up and get back to riding

Old 03-22-2016, 03:08 PM
Scaredofrain
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

All the above but, realise that whatever you do you should change the break fluid. It's highly hygroscopic so undoubtedly has moisture in it that course damage and unreliability.

Old 03-22-2016, 03:22 PM
bigbadpoppa
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 115 Posts

Did u have a full tank of gas in there? the tins can rust after awhile if it was left empty or half full.

Old 03-22-2016, 03:33 PM
jmeiers
Road Warrior
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Pull the wires off the spark plugs and bump the starter a few seconds at a time to circulate the oil. Reconnect wires and fire it up.

Change all fluids first.

Old 03-22-2016, 05:36 PM
Robottom
Road Master
Received 138 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by jmeiers
Pull the wires off the spark plugs and bump the starter a few seconds at a time to circulate the oil. Reconnect wires and fire it up.

Change all fluids first.

+1 on bumping it a few times first, but would do that with the plugs out, then give it an hour or so to evaporate just in case there's any water.
BUT ... If the oil on the dipsticks (engine & tranny) looks OK, I'd leave the fluids change until after it starts and warms up, it's probably not going to be that bad.

Old 03-23-2016, 01:49 AM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 255 Posts

Start it, ride it, enjoy.....change oil once it's done a few miles to mix any crud back into the tank.

If the brakes work as they should they don't need new fluid.

Old 03-23-2016, 05:53 AM
c-note
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Did you put fuel stabilizer in the tank before you let it sit? If you did, I would burn off the tank, if you didn't, I would drain and get fresh fuel.

I would check your engine oil for level and consistency. If it looks like oil, and there's enough, I would warm up before changing. If it's milky, you have had a condensation problem and its best drain before attempting anything.

Put your battery on a trickle, it will show you if it can hold a charge.

Take it out for a short run, bring it back to a clean surface and let it sit for a few mins, check for any leaks etc....drop all fluids, refill and enjoy.

I live in the great white north where my bike sits in a cold garage 6 months a year, I've never had an issue. It's going to spit some ugly exhaust early while the old fuel in the lines burns off, no biggy.

Old 03-23-2016, 06:08 AM
touchdown
Supporter

Received 1,659 Likes on 946 Posts

Seems like a lot of work people are saying to do.
Me I would pull the plugs, squirt little oil in the cylinders, Some star tran or some kind of gas fixer upers, Crank it some put the plugs back in, start her up and run the **** out of her. If she runs good fine, if not check it out.

Quick Reply: Opinions about starting bike after extended layoff