Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Real world difference in stopping? Single vs dual

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 07:25 AM
shekmark
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Real world difference in stopping? Single vs dual

I have a 2015 Street Bob with ABS. Wondering if the dual set-up with ABS is a whole lot better than my single with ABS. Any real testing stats out there? Stopping matters a lot to me. If there was a real big difference I would consider trading to a Lowrider with ABS.

Old 03-31-2016, 08:47 AM
enodrano
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Your Street Bob is light enough that a single setup is more than adequate. I wouldn't wory about it.

Old 03-31-2016, 09:12 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,236 Likes on 1,812 Posts

Originally Posted by shekmark
I have a 2015 Street Bob with ABS. Wondering if the dual set-up with ABS is a whole lot better than my single with ABS. Any real testing stats out there? Stopping matters a lot to me. If there was a real big difference I would consider trading to a Lowrider with ABS.
Stats are informative, but you can judge for yourself (seat 'o pants)...ride a Low Rider or maybe a Fat Bob

Old 03-31-2016, 09:34 AM
Rockabillphil
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Something to consider and somehow affordable is to change your disc and pads for Lyndall or EBC products, for example.
And if you still have money, change the caliper also. PM makes some good calipers for our bikes but you can also go the speed merchant route with their bracket that will allow you to fit a +06 GSXR600 caliper.

I think dual disc will dissipate more heat (ie: racing on a track or intense and long canyon riding session...).

On a relatively light bike like the street bob, I think a single disc brake system, with the good parts, will do the job for most of us.

Last edited by Rockabillphil; 03-31-2016 at 09:48 AM.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:03 AM
NMfxdf
Tourer
Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

I have never seen any actual stats, I do know that my FXDF is the first motorcycle I have ever had with duals and it can really brake. I practice, as I am sure most do, threshold braking a lot, and that dual setup can almost stop harder than my rear can suck to the seat.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:03 PM
itscaptaincody
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are doubling the brake power... I personally have an 07 FXDL and find the single front brake to be lacking and will be converting to duals (as I find parts cause I'm cheap). There is a multitude of ways this can be completed; speed merchant brackets, FXDL or FXDF caliper, Touring Brembo calipers, V-Rod parts..

http://thespeedmerchant.net/product/...ack-dual-disc/

Allows you to run 05 + GXSR brakes - nothing but stellar reviews across the net.

You will need an 08+ FXDF or 14 + FXDL RT fork slider. Depending on your rim you may need to change that as well.

This thread will give you a lot of useful info with part numbers for using HD parts only.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...t-numbers.html

Old 03-31-2016, 12:08 PM
big ron
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Have been looking to convert or put a single side brembo off a sport bike.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:13 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,236 Likes on 1,812 Posts

Originally Posted by big ron
Have been looking to convert or put a single side brembo off a sport bike.
If you aren't aware of it.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/1091508-real-brembo-front-caliper-installed.html

Old 03-31-2016, 12:23 PM
shekmark
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Can you change the brakes on an ABS model? I would have no problem upgrading to a bigger caliper if it's ok to do with ABS

Old 03-31-2016, 12:42 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,388 Likes on 2,952 Posts

I rode an SG for 21+ years with a solo rotor. When the bike had it's stock cam , it was sufficient. When I changed cams, the higher lift and mostly the longer duration caused a huge reduction in "engine compression braking." Suddenly, the single rotor up front was inadequate. I still rode it but rarely 2-up and in steep hills.
One thing I noticed right away was how much more engine braking effect I have on my 2016 FXDL. That, and I don't have to squeeeeze nearly as hard on the lever as before. This may be construed as "better brakes" but I'd say they're just different brakes as the old single rotor worked ok. You just had to SQUEEEEZE like hand exercises!

Quick Reply: Real world difference in stopping? Single vs dual