Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alright here we go again - idle issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 07:42 AM
hitman1267
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Alright here we go again - idle issues

Alright so I have changed just about all the sensors in the intake manifold (TPS, IAC, and ambient air sensor) and the bike is still running like crap. I have cleaned all connectors and cleaned off any corrosion, still runs like crap. I pulled the plugs, cleaned them and re-gapped them and it ran fine for two days then ran like crap again. I then changed the plugs it ran good for a day then started running like crap again.

The bike starts at a relatively good idle, once I get moving and get to a red light, the idle slowly creeps up. Once the idle is high, she runs rich, you can smell un-burned gas, she puffs black smoke and misses when you rev the engine. It is really strange.

I pulled the positive cable off the battery for a while to reset the ECM and PCV. I re uploaded the map and still ran like crap. I did see that the throttle position on the PCV software was jumping erratically from 0-3%. I ran the stock tune( PCV disconnected) and it ran worse. Maybe you guys can help me look somewhere that I haven't yet. Could a exhaust gasket cause this? Maybe a sensor I am missing. Almost forgot I also opened up the gas tank to check for leaks on the fuel pump, I know the manual says to replace the gasket but I didn't, could that have also caused an issue?

Thanks for all the help!

Old 05-03-2016, 02:42 PM
canadayman
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i had the same problem last year and it ended up being a vacuum plug that was cracked took me a while to find bike didn't set any codes nothing so didn't want to take in to the shop so while taking it apart I found it so check all your vacuum hoses check to see if they are good

The following users liked this post:
hitman1267 (05-04-2016)
Old 05-03-2016, 03:04 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,664 Likes on 6,679 Posts

Check for intake air leaks.

hitman1267 (05-04-2016)
Old 05-03-2016, 03:18 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

The TPS variation sounds normal.

Not sure how Harley writes their start-post start-warmup-at temp routine but it probably disregards the O2 sensors during warmup. Sounds like it may be going rich once it goes closed loop (at/near operating temp). That may be O2 sensor problem (or leak at bung), intake leak, exhaust leak, etc. causing ambient air to mix with exhaust stream and read lean at the sensor. Try spraying some starting fluid here and there (anywhere you could predict a leak) and listen for idle speed changes. Any change in speed would indicate a leak.

Just a guess.

hitman1267 (05-04-2016)
Old 05-19-2016, 05:53 PM
hitman1267
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I figured it out. Was just browsing around on different forums I found on google and I forgot to check the engine temperature sensor. It is screwed into the front cylinder. The sensor came out with little effort. I guess it was loose. Well I continued to pull it out and then i cleaned the sensor and re-tightened it. After that I've only had a minor hiccup. In the future I will change that sensor. MPG's went back to normal and throttle response was back to normal. The erratic idle problem went away after messing around with the engine temperature sensor.

Funny thing is that the sensor doesn't show a code if it malfunctioning. It will act like its leak in the intake system or exhaust. I hope this thread will help anyone else with this issue.