Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shocks/Lowering Question Re '10 FXDWG

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 01:24 PM
USMAMule
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Shocks/Lowering Question Re '10 FXDWG

It's been a while since I spent much time in these parts, but I know of no better place to come for info. I have a 2010 Wide Glide with a few mods and I am thinking about lowering the bike an inch (front and rear should be done at the same time right?). I want to replace the rear shocks (stock Fat Bob shocks from '10) because the chrome has started peeling. What have you guys done to accomplish lowering? Is lowering even a good idea? Or should I just get new stock length rears? What are the kits and parts you've found to be reliable and doable for the garage mechanic. I've done all my mods but the actual paint on my tins, so I am fairly competent.

Thanks In Advance

USMAMule

Old 05-05-2016, 02:03 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

I see a lot of people running the Burly Slammers. Supposedly ride like ****, though. I have no experience myself.

Old 05-05-2016, 03:50 PM
dtaylor00
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Slammers are smooth as butter. Not sure where you heard that. I've had them on my Super Glide for a month now and ride just about everyday. I haven't noticed a difference yet between the stock ones and the slammers. A buddy that owns two FXR's, a '12 Wide Glide, a late 90's Road King, an '09 Nightster and an '01 Super Glide rode it and he said they felt really smooth too.

Old 05-05-2016, 04:31 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by dtaylor00
Slammers are smooth as butter. Not sure where you heard that. I've had them on my Super Glide for a month now and ride just about everyday. I haven't noticed a difference yet between the stock ones and the slammers. A buddy that owns two FXR's, a '12 Wide Glide, a late 90's Road King, an '09 Nightster and an '01 Super Glide rode it and he said they felt really smooth too.
Same here. Ride as smooth as the factory shocks if you adjust them. I take trips with my Street Bob as well. Loaded with gear.

Old 05-05-2016, 07:43 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

The same people hating on the slammers also hated the factory shocks/ride...so...

I'm still factory myself and not unsatisfied, but I'll be getting something nicer next fall. Mostly for appearance, but I also want rebuildable/tunable.

Old 05-05-2016, 08:32 PM
tcarson84
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have heard a lot of mixed reviews on lowering depends on where and how you ride I'm hesitant to do it cause roads are so twisty here and don't want to drag. As far as how to accomplish it I've heard mixed reviews on the progressive 412 but I like the way the covered ones look I think 11 inch ones would be a little more than an inch might be able to get 11.5. If you got the money I hear the 444 are much better. To lower the front get progressive springs and cut the peice that sets on inside of fork on top the springs I'm sure they come with directions. Anyways that's one way to do it sure there are many more ways

Old 05-05-2016, 09:30 PM
dtaylor00
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I came off of a sportster so take my opinion with a grain of salt as well. But I absolutely love the slammers. There's really no difference than stock. I just wish I didn't scrape in every turn now.

Originally Posted by cggorman
The same people hating on the slammers also hated the factory shocks/ride...so...

I'm still factory myself and not unsatisfied, but I'll be getting something nicer next fall. Mostly for appearance, but I also want rebuildable/tunable.

Old 05-05-2016, 11:14 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

Progressive or Burly sell front lowering springs. Not a difficult install either. Or some low budget guys slide up the forks in the trees. Cost on that is zero.

I only lowered the rear on mine. Did it for looks cause I wanted a rake. I don't have the clearance that I did before but I'm not a go getter on the corners really so it's fine.

FYI Burly is made by Progressive.

The following users liked this post:
USMAMule (05-09-2016)
Old 05-06-2016, 06:07 AM
Fishonsc
Tourer
Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

I have 11" progressive 412's on my wide glide. Ride is a little stiff but it does not bother me. I prefer a stiff suspension. I do scrape the pegs every ride.

Attached Thumbnails Shocks/Lowering Question Re '10 FXDWG-20160329_172312.jpg  
Old 05-06-2016, 07:41 AM
HarleyBob52
Road Warrior
Received 624 Likes on 289 Posts

I have rode with 3 different shocks on my bike,,stock,, stock length 412,s and Burly's... To me, the Burly,s are better than stock, but not as good as the 412's... For me the Burly,s ride real good on the softest setting solo and on the 4th firmest 2up,,, a lot of it depends on how you have them adjusted.

The following users liked this post:
USMAMule (05-09-2016)

Quick Reply: Shocks/Lowering Question Re '10 FXDWG