Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

progressive fork spring advice

Old 05-22-2016, 02:16 PM
widerider96
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default progressive fork spring advice

Hiand thanks,

Suggestions please for oil weight/height and spacer length combo in a 2011 WideGlide with 11-1525 springs anyone?

Kindest Regards
Richard

P.S. 100% solo, 196Lbs

Old 05-23-2016, 05:41 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Follow Progressive's recommendations on spacer length, fluid weight, and fluid measurement that they give you in the install instructions. I weigh 145 pounds and I'm running the 11-1546 heavy Progressive springs with their recommended 15wt fluid. Progressive had recommended a 5.5" spacer length which I ran for a season but over the winter I changed to a 5.25" spacer, I had just a bit of harshness over consecutive bumps and wanted to see if I could correct that; the 5.25" did exactly that and now these heavy springs are perfect

Don't follow the fluid measurements listed in the HD service manual, you'll have too much fluid with the Progressive springs. Besides the obvious problem of fork seals you'll have way too much rebound damping; springs have a greater effect on compression, fluid weight and level has a greater effect on rebound damping.

I did a write-up for cvaria HERE that sort of walks you through the install process...

The following users liked this post:
widerider96 (05-23-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 05:45 AM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

I have the Works triple rated front springs along with the Ricor Intiminators.
You will be able to tell when you assemble it what the ride is going to be like.
I ended up by shortening my preload spacers an inch and used
Amsoil shock therapy 10Wt oil.
Mine took 23 ozs. each tube cause of the intiminators. 3 ozs. less.
Drained after three years and it was a waste cause the fluid still looked new.
Changed it anyway. Next check 5 more years.

widerider96 (05-23-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 08:46 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

I've got the heavy duty Progressives as well. Pretty straight forward like Tin Cup said. I didn't modify the spacer and I am running just the factory fluid in mine. Took out the brake dive which was a big concern for me. I am a big boy and don't ride all that aggressive though. So, I would listen to Tin Cup, he has never steered me wrong before.
If nothing else install your springs and adjust fluid then ride for a bit. Then decide what changes you need.
Oh and I would probably go with the heavy duty's if you ride with any gear at all for trips and such.

widerider96 (05-23-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 09:04 AM
71on72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,237 Likes on 8,509 Posts

I put standard Progressive Fork Springs and 412 Shocks on my 2014 Wide Glide first thing after I bought it. Did not change fork oil. Rode it for a while but found it too stiff on bumps. I weigh 195. I don't ride with a passenger or a lot of gear.
I drained an ounce from the forks and set shocks to second soft notch which made a big difference. Forks are still a little harsh when hitting bumps but love the way it handles in curves and hard braking. Could have drained 1.5 ounces to really make a dream ride but I like it a little stiff.

Last edited by 71on72; 05-23-2016 at 09:09 AM.
widerider96 (05-23-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 09:27 AM
Doc4545
Tourer
Received 75 Likes on 33 Posts

I've got a '14 Fat Bob, just put in the springs last week. I got the standard springs (length and weight), I weigh 182, ride solo. Put in fresh SE fork oil and couldn't be happier with the improvement, especially related to fork dive on braking. Later this week I'm putting the 444s on the back, can't wait.

I've made these changes on every HD I've owned (different rear shocks and model specific springs obviously). Great relatively inexpensive improvement.

widerider96 (05-23-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 10:00 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member

The only real problem I could see if you simply want to remove the stock spacers and springs and replace them with the Progressive springs would be you'd need to adjust your fluid levels and use the recommended length of spacer.

With the Wide Glide HD specs a 95mm/3.74" fluid level with the springs/spacers removed and the slider compressed, measured from the edge of the fork tube. The stock springs are short and in the Wide Glide use a 10" spacer. Due to the larger size of the Progressive springs, both in length and thickness of the springs Progressive calls for a 150mm/5.90 fluid level; too much fluid will make the fork harsh on rebound and could even cause issues for the fork seals.

As 71on72 discovered, a bit too much fluid will have an effect on your ride quality. I like a ride that's setup rather stiff; heavy springs up front and I run the rear preload at the #4 setting. Might seem almost much for my body weight but I'm a bit aggressive in the curves and I practice threshold braking regularly so I'd rather have a solid arrangement. A bit too much fluid in the forks will effect rebound damping which can cause a harsh ride, oversteering in corners and headshake issues...

widerider96 (05-23-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 02:35 PM
widerider96
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi all,

Thanks for your time and efforts really appreciated.

My main concern was/is the fact the install instructions doesn't give a spacer length, just says 01 - original spacer can be shortened to fit - lol. Also I Emailed Progressive and they just confirmed that fact and didn't suggest a length.

My thought then is to adhere to fluid height (maybe just slightly less), use 5 or 10 weight oil, the 1/3 - 2/3 rider sag ratio setup (so approx 40mm rider sag) and suck it n see. BTW in the rear I have some stiff Hyperpro springs fitted on standard shocks. They, on the softest setting, give a static 1/4" sag and rider sag of 3/4" (they don't divulge springrates either) so they are stiff.

What you think guys?

Old 05-23-2016, 03:26 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member

I bought both the standard 11-1525 and 11-1546 spring kits off Amazon last year thinking I didn't know how each kit would work out and and as cheap as they were why not? Progressive included a second install sheet in each kit; '10 and up Wide Glides used a 5.5" spacer and the 150mm fluid level. I gave that standard spring kit away so I can't verify it now; the heavy springs were that good

I'd start out with a 150mm fluid level and either cut your stock spacers to 5.5" or use some Schedule 40 PVC to make your spacers and start with that length. I do know the 15wt is working out well and I'm going to stick with it. No matter what weight of fork oil you use be certain to get two liters of it; those 49mm fork tubes be thirsty!

widerider96 (05-24-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 07:27 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Tin Cup has you one the right track. The only way I measure fork oil is in MM from the top with a fork tool/measurement gauge. When I install Ricor Intinminators I take the oil measurement with the Intiminator in the fork tube, spring out. The Intiminator displaces oil and makes the level higher (read harsh) if you install it after you put the fork oil in.

widerider96 (05-24-2016)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: progressive fork spring advice