Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help with FXDX cartridge style forks!

Old 06-11-2016, 01:44 PM
K33b
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need Help with FXDX cartridge style forks!

I have a 2001 FXDX that I recently tore the front end apart because my right side fork seal was completely blown, and the left wasn't far behind. Thus my nightmare begins, when I discovered I need some ridiculously expensive tool to disassemble the cartridge setup. Thus I did NOT even attempt this adventure, and simply removed the cartridge setup, cleaned it, inspected it, and set it aside.

I rebuilt the rest of the forks, with new seals, and bushings and just finished reassembling them. Now I am to the point of needing to add fork oil, and this is where I am stumped.

No matter how much searching I do, I cannot for the life of me find the proper Fluid amount (as in oz. or mls) to put in these bastard forks! I have found there is a difference between a WET or DRY amount. Since I took these completely apart (aside from the cartridges) I know I need the DRY amount, but its not in the book.

I don't see how I can possibly measure from the top, like most people recommend because there is no "top" to remove like all other Harley forks. The cartridge is built into the cap. Therefore I need the actual fluid amount to add to each fork.

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated. This is holding me up from getting my bike back on the road!! Thanks guys.

Old 06-11-2016, 03:30 PM
joe40x
Road Warrior
Received 656 Likes on 383 Posts

For 2005, 5" from the top or 14.2 oz per leg. Measure down from the fork tube less the cartridge removed and the fork completely compressed. Don't know if that helps but it's all I got!

Old 06-11-2016, 03:45 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

128mm from the top, pour in half and pump the damper rod 10 times of so. Then pour in the rest and assemble the forks.

Old 06-11-2016, 07:50 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,223 Likes on 3,607 Posts

I own 2 bikes with DX forks.. 00 FXDX and a 2001 bobber where I used the forks.. The DX has Racetech Gold valves and Springs. The other has only springs. I've had them a part a number of times. PC the lowers or change spring etc.

Don't buy the special tools.. They suck.. Looks like you figured out to get the seals RnRed.. If you want to remove the springs, the u clip can be made out of 0.062 sheet metal.. A buddy with 2 straight bars can pull the spring down enough to insert the u clip..

The correct way to do cartridge forks is to remove the top cap / springs and measure from the top of the fork tube, forks completely collapsed, to the oil with the springs removed.. 128mm is the value as stated..

If you are trying to keep everything together by volume is OK.. I'm not sure about the stated volume above tho... i just redid the forks on one bike using the level method and seem to remember is was may be 10.5 to 11.5 oz.. You need to trickle the stuff down the spring / damping rod and screw the cap on the pump after 1/2 the fluid has been dumped in..

Old 06-11-2016, 07:56 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,492 Likes on 6,627 Posts

Tagged for future reference.

Old 06-12-2016, 12:15 PM
K33b
Intermediate

I really appreciate the info guys, but I still don't understand.

Last edited by K33b; 06-12-2016 at 12:20 PM. Reason: confused
Old 06-12-2016, 12:19 PM
K33b
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bwoltz
I own 2 bikes with DX forks.. 00 FXDX and a 2001 bobber where I used the forks.. The DX has Racetech Gold valves and Springs. The other has only springs. I've had them a part a number of times. PC the lowers or change spring etc.

Don't buy the special tools.. They suck.. Looks like you figured out to get the seals RnRed.. If you want to remove the springs, the u clip can be made out of 0.062 sheet metal.. A buddy with 2 straight bars can pull the spring down enough to insert the u clip..

The correct way to do cartridge forks is to remove the top cap / springs and measure from the top of the fork tube, forks completely collapsed, to the oil with the springs removed.. 128mm is the value as stated..

If you are trying to keep everything together by volume is OK.. I'm not sure about the stated volume above tho... i just redid the forks on one bike using the level method and seem to remember is was may be 10.5 to 11.5 oz.. You need to trickle the stuff down the spring / damping rod and screw the cap on the pump after 1/2 the fluid has been dumped in..
The only thing I don't understand though is that the bottom bolt, goes thru the fork lower and threads into the cartridge assembly. If I attempt to use the method stated above wont all my fluid just run out of that hole?

Perhaps I just don't understand the way you are trying to convey how to do this. Are you saying that I MUST disassemble the cartridge/spring assembly to put fluid in? I really hope not.

Old 06-12-2016, 01:13 PM
joe40x
Road Warrior
Received 656 Likes on 383 Posts

Didn't think about that! Guess you'll have to go by volume.

Old 06-12-2016, 01:44 PM
K33b
Intermediate

There has got to be SOMEONE who has changed the seals in these cartridge forks before without disassembling the cartridge. I cant believe its this hard to figure out how to put fluid back in the dang forks.

Old 06-13-2016, 11:02 AM
K33b
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
128mm from the top, pour in half and pump the damper rod 10 times of so. Then pour in the rest and assemble the forks.
Are you referring to the fxdx cartridge forks? Or just every other forth setup harley used? Because there is no "top" to remove.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need Help with FXDX cartridge style forks!