Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I've Got the Wobbles!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 10:39 AM
Jackpoticorn
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Default I've Got the Wobbles!

Brought home my new-to-me 2014 FXDB yesterday and finally felt the wobble everyone talks about. Mostly noticeable above 70 or when decelerating from higher speeds.

I bought the bike "as-is" from the dealer so there's no going back to them now. I plan to check the tire pressure today and will attempt to tighten the fork nut 1/8 of a turn to see if that works.

What else can correct the wobble? Will adding a drop in fork cartridge kit help? What about a fork brace?

Old 06-19-2016, 10:50 AM
GREENOHAWK69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 556 Likes on 330 Posts

I've seen others suggest checking your motor mounts/isolators for damage.

Old 06-19-2016, 11:07 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

I like to read read these threads hoping to understand what causes this issue. There doesn't seem to be a consensus fix. It seems to me the cause is from unwanted flex somewhere in the suspension. Tire/wheel (spoke) flex, bearing preload/wear, isolator flex, etc. Most report seem to indicate the problem becomes most pronounced under decel. The rear end unloads and the front dives a hair. Not sure exactly what that means...

I'm glad my bike doesn't seem to suffer from this. I'm planning an upgrade to the Vibra-Technics front isolator to help stabilize the drivetrain and hopefully prevent this issue ever developing for me. We'll see.

Last edited by cggorman; 06-19-2016 at 11:10 AM.
Old 06-19-2016, 11:20 AM
TexasScooterTrash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,207 Likes on 740 Posts

I have over 87,000 on my 07 Dyna. Here's a few things that I found. Rear axle alignment. Check the adjusters and make sure both are adjusted out evenly. Check the front motor mount. If it's deteriorated, replace it. While your there, shim it up. Try running +2 psi of air in your tires. I hope this may be of some help yo you.

Old 06-19-2016, 11:43 AM
2500hdon37s
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,549 Likes on 667 Posts

Check your spokes and front motor mount.

I got the wobble, swapped to the Vibratechnics motor mount and all is well. Then the wobble came back... found out my rear spokes had loosened up. from what yours sounds like, it sounds more like the spokes since that happened at normal highway speeds when mine loosned up... Thus my reasoning for going to alloy wheels.

Old 06-19-2016, 01:30 PM
emerican19
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

It sucks, and these threads kill me because no ones ever had the same problem. They ultimately end with someone doing a different thing than the last person.

It's either: tire wear (front, rear, or both), motor mounts, suspension (front, rear or both), loose spokes, wheel bearings (front, rear or both), swim arm bearings/bushings, bent axle (front, rear or both), wheel out of alignment (front, rear or both), tire not balanced (front, rear or both), brakes dragging (front, rear or both), steering stem bearings, fallaway, fairing/windshield turbulence, tire pressure (front, rear or both), riser bolts loose, or rider position. Also several other mystery factors.

Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
A1A (06-26-2016)
Old 06-19-2016, 11:07 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,656 Likes on 6,678 Posts

Originally Posted by emerican19
It sucks, and these threads kill me because no ones ever had the same problem. They ultimately end with someone doing a different thing than the last person.

It's either: tire wear (front, rear, or both), motor mounts, suspension (front, rear or both), loose spokes, wheel bearings (front, rear or both), swim arm bearings/bushings, bent axle (front, rear or both), wheel out of alignment (front, rear or both), tire not balanced (front, rear or both), brakes dragging (front, rear or both), steering stem bearings, fallaway, fairing/windshield turbulence, tire pressure (front, rear or both), riser bolts loose, or rider position. Also several other mystery factors.

Good luck.
I believe the problem is stacking tolerances from everything you have mentioned above. When it reaches a threshold the bike gets the wobbles.

Old 06-26-2016, 12:12 AM
Jackpoticorn
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Hey so here's a fun fix!

Step 1: Buy used Harley from "reputable" Harley dealer.
Step 2: Experience death wobble on way home from said dealer.
Step 3: Call dealer - "whoops, not our problem - you bought the bike as-is!"
Step 4: Buy service manual (from a different dealer).
Step 5: Check tire pressure. Both tires are TEN POUNDS UNDER INFLATED.
Step 5.1: TEN POUNDS. THAT'S 33% UNDER INFLATED IN THE FRONT AND 25% REAR.
Step 6: Fill tires.
Step 7: Enjoy wobble-free bike.

Wobble fixed. For now.

The following users liked this post:
perki48 (08-14-2016)
Old 06-26-2016, 05:56 AM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member
Received 180 Likes on 139 Posts

my switchback had this issue and it ended up being the tire pressure..
MOCO recommended is 36/40..

service advisor I have known for years asked I have the wobble on decel when I had it in for its 1k a few years back and when I said yes he said try 38/38 and sure enough that took care of it

Old 08-14-2016, 01:25 PM
crtman21
Road Captain
Received 228 Likes on 148 Posts

UGH!...Not really what I was wanting to here. All these different "fixes" for this problem I just went on a 400 mile ride over 2 days in NorCal through the mountains where I was reaching 80mph through the mountains. (hwy 50 from Tahoe to Sac...GREAT RIDE. HIGHLY SUGGEST IT) It was fun at 75ish. but any faster than that, I got wobbly too. Started getting frustrated, but didn't want to push it and crash. KWIM? I don't have any wobbling going on when I'm going straight. I can go 90+ with no problem, but as soon as I start taking turns at speeds higher than 75 it starts to wobble.

I filled my tires with air prior to leaving. They were about 6-8 pounds low. So I added a few pounds of air, but didn't want to add too much to compensate for expansion. I bought the bike ('15 street bob) with Nitrous on mags. So I don't think the wobble is caused by a spoke issue (sarcasm...haha). I guess I'll try adding more air/nitrous and see if that helps first. That seems to be the easiest fix to start with.

I was also thinking maybe it was wheel balancing issue and maybe the dealer needs to balance the wheels? IDFK...just an idea.

Last edited by crtman21; 08-14-2016 at 01:36 PM.

Quick Reply: I've Got the Wobbles!