Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom SE baffles on 2015 FXDB - with videos

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 10:36 AM
apblingAEW
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Custom SE baffles on 2015 FXDB - with videos

Hello all.
Quick background info - 2015 FXDB, stage 1 intake, stage 1 HD download, SE slip on pipes (the ones with the cats in the baffles, not the header).

This bike was my wifes bike and she was ok with the super muffled almost stock sound of the SE pipes. As for myself, I was sort of pissed off that the sound was so crappy for these expensive pipes. I did pull the glass out and add a few extra holes to the baffles to help some, but it was still really muffled and didn't have a good sound. I did not want to gut the cats out - trying to keep the mod's mild and reversible if needed.

Anyway, another member here (bhaxton) was nice enough to share his custom baffle setup with me.

What I did - I have a set of stock 09 fat bob pipes collecting dust. I removed the baffles and glass. (As a side note, WOW are those stockers restrictive!!) I cut the end cap off the baffle and re-welded the 2" perforated pipe to my end cap. I cut the 2" perforated piped to 10" (nothing scientific, just figured I can always go shorter if needed). The end caps from the fat bob pipes fit the street bobs SE muff's exactly, no modification required.

This video shows just baffles only in the pipe, nothing more. Sort of hollow and blubbery. Lost a ton of low end torque...sounds better than the SE baffles though.

I then took the baffles out, took my fat bob glass and wrapped the 2" pipe with it, using stainless wire to hold it in place. I then took a 1/4" eyebolt and sandwhiched the eye between two washers and a 3/8" bolt (sorry, no pics, but you get the idea). Bhaxton told me to place the lollipop 2/3 of the diameter of the header pipe back from the header entrance to the muffler. That put me in the neighborhood of 1". I wasn't able to do that because of the muffler curvature, so I am more like 1.75" back from the inlet. Once the lollipop and glassed baffle were installed I fired it up.

This video shows the bike at idle and a few cracks of the throttle:

This video shows a driveby - the first at steady cruising throttle - the 2nd one I rip it a bit.

Overall, I really like the sound. The phone doesn't do justice to how nice and low the tone is at idle. It sounds nice and solid, no tin or brassy rasp at all. You can hear a little snap crackle pop when I slow down at the end of the fast drive by. The bike did do this with the SE baffles, so I likely will need a different tuner. Overall good sound and no loss of power, and for like $10.

Old 07-25-2016, 11:08 AM
sn95bullitt
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Sounds good.

Old 07-25-2016, 11:31 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Sounds really good, not over the top, drive everyone batcrazy with pure noise but a nice rumble. Way to adapt while keeping the stock look your wife and you like!

Old 07-25-2016, 11:43 AM
apblingAEW
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

agreed - saves a pile of money too - really regret getting the SE pipes.

Not sure what to do about the tune though. A tuner would be nice, but I have no idea where to even start with a custom setup. I'd could probably get by without one, but I am a little uneasy about just going with the HD stage 1, which I have been told isn't all that much different than stock

Old 07-30-2016, 12:57 PM
bhaxton
Tourer
Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm glad you like it Andy. I love to help out where I can, I just don't get a lot of free time to spend on the forum.

I've got a Doebeck tuner to add some fuel to the mix. My scoot runs cool and I'm getting mid 40's for mileage, with no issues. I think any of the fuel adders work about the same if you go that route. Be prepared for the power junkies to beat you up if you do.