Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lucas Oil shenanigans

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 11:17 AM
dave_simpson
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lucas Oil shenanigans

I got some locus 20w50 synthetic oil from amazon- read the reviews...people talking about putting it in their bikes...and put a quart in the motor. Then i noticed it didnt say motorcycle on it. I went online and checked part numbers and yep they are different. One is car oil(10054) and the other (which i dont have) is motorcycle oil (100702). Is there that much difference...lol. gues i got 5 cases of synthetic 20w50 car oil if anyone needs some and my bike is gonna be down for awhile. Amazon got me- guess its gonna be a few weeks before i get my bike runnin and i got 5 qts of oil to get rid of...

Old 08-26-2016, 11:24 AM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

I'd pay shipping if you're just giving away perfectly good oil.

Just run it. Motorcycle oil vs car oil is much hullabaloo about nothing.

Last edited by Scuba10jdl; 08-26-2016 at 12:06 PM.
Old 08-26-2016, 12:05 PM
Maxxsmart
Road Master
Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

I am no expert, but there may be a small difference in chemistry for heat resistance / cooling abilities in the cycle oil. I'll bet it's more of a marketing thing than anything else. There are ore than a few people that run regular motor oil in their bikes.

Old 08-26-2016, 12:47 PM
irensby
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Should be fine for the crankcase. I imagine the big difference between moto spec oil and the car spec stuff would be a big deal if the clutch in our bikes shared the same oil. Seeing as the primary and motor have individual sumps per se, you should be fine to use the oil you bought in the motor.

Old 08-26-2016, 12:56 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 898 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by irensby
Should be fine for the crankcase. I imagine the big difference between moto spec oil and the car spec stuff would be a big deal if the clutch in our bikes shared the same oil. Seeing as the primary and motor have individual sumps per se, you should be fine to use the oil you bought in the motor.
Largely correct, I think... The biggest difference in moto oils has to do with a wet clutch which shares oil with the crankcase. There can be other differences as well, some of which relate to a higher RPM range. Neither of these differences should be a concern with a Harley engine, though!

Old 08-26-2016, 02:23 PM
hAkron
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can usually send back stuff you bought on Amazon that you don't need. If there is nothing wrong with it they will want you to pay return shipping, however if there is a local Amazon drop off location (there is one here in Akron, but I don't know how common they are in other places) you can typically send stuff back for free.

Old 08-26-2016, 03:32 PM
dave_simpson
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for the replies- has anyone used car oil before in a 2011 and up? unfortunately, it would cost more to ship back than i paid- i am overseas.

Old 08-26-2016, 03:33 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxxsmart
I am no expert, but there may be a small difference in chemistry for heat resistance / cooling abilities in the cycle oil. I'll bet it's more of a marketing thing than anything else. There are ore than a few people that run regular motor oil in their bikes.
Yup I run Valvoline VR1 Racing oil 20-50) in my motor, have for years, good stuff. Keep it and use it. Before I'd give it away I'd have the two analysed to see if there's any diff, betcha a beer the only diff is the bottle.

Old 08-26-2016, 03:35 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,345 Likes on 3,279 Posts

Use it it's fine...I went 92000 miles with mostly 15w50...it ain't gonna hurt a thing. You can get Motul 20w50 over there, that's good oil

Old 08-26-2016, 03:40 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

dave_simpson, your engine isn't going to even notice that the bottle didn't say 'cycle' on it Run it, it's going to be all good...

Tucci; Valvoline VR1 SAE 50 here, I love that stuff... so do all the HD engines I've used it in

Quick Reply: Lucas Oil shenanigans