Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buy your preban Dyna now!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 04:27 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

From what I've read on this board and a few other places is that the MoCo has put the fear of God into dealers in that they will lose their dealership IF they are caught working on a non EPA compliant bike. True? Untrue? Don't know, but that is huge if it is. HD will come out with compliant parts but what about other manufacturers like VH, Ness, Etc Etc. That has to be a big expense getting stuff approved for every make and model year after year. I'm guessing for the time being at least this still just applies to 2017 and later.

Last edited by tnriverluver; 08-29-2016 at 04:30 PM.
Old 08-29-2016, 06:16 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 898 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by vizcarmb
I wonder if these ECM's are smart enough to detect a change and have a log everytime a tune is changed, thus ultimately voiding the warranty?
Some automotive ECMs are definitely this smart now... Like the ones in the cars that my company sells. Every change made to any of the ECMs (there's a whole LAN in the car with multiple computers networked) is stored in a log. We can't even avoid sending the data to the manufacturer in most cases, even if we don't want to. Any time the car is attached to a scan tool the contents of that log are transmitted to a corporate database. As far as the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act is concerned, there is some gray area. The usual interpretation (and the one that seems to stand up in most courts), is that a warranty claim cannot be denied based on any modification unless the modification affected the area in which the claim is based. In other words, if you install a cat-back exhaust on a car and the power windows stop working, the warranty claim should be no problem. It's much tougher with computer flashes though, because almost every system in a modern car (especially complex luxury and performance cars) goes through the onboard computer network. Now the manufacturer can actually say "how do we know that your third party flash didn't affect the power windows?"

Often our Service Department gets stuck in the middle of these debates. The customer wants their car fixed and returned, we don't want to work on it until somebody agrees to pay for it, the customer doesn't want to, the manufacturer doesn't want to... The only party who truly has no responsibility in creating the problem is the dealer, but it somehow always ends up costing us something as we try to keep everyone happy...

Old 08-30-2016, 05:34 AM
Shaved Ice
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts

My friend's new F150 updates every time he parks within wifi range of his router (every evening). He loves it because he never has to go to the dealership for a update. I can see the rest of the industry going to this. While convenient, I wouldn't want that much ability to see into how I drive and what I do to my vehicles.

Old 08-30-2016, 05:52 AM
203Cree
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by tnriverluver
Time will tell how this works out I guess. Just hate that many may go buy a 17 model and immediately mod their scoot as always and not realize they just voided the warranty even though that has always kinda sorta been the case, the dealers were't under the pressure they are now to enforce this on the 2017 up bikes.
They enforced it plenty. Got a tune that we didn't do? Void. Got a part that doesn't have a bar and shield? Void. Have a problem that isn't related to any of that but still modded? Ha, keep on walking.

Mountain out of a gopher hole bud.

Old 08-30-2016, 06:23 AM
kontiki
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,279 Likes on 1,155 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake911
In CA it is illegal to ride or park in a public place any bike with an exhaust system that is not stamped it is in compliance with the State's emissions standards for the year the bike was manufactured.
Lordy. Hard to believe such draconian laws exist in a country who's very existence is based on freedom.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:02 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

out of state plates!

Old 09-02-2016, 03:13 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,388 Likes on 2,952 Posts

Originally Posted by cggorman
Newer is not always better. Besides, voiding a warranty with a tune is unlikely if you do an independent install/tune and return to stock for any warranty service work. I've been doing it for decades with cars. A bit of a hassle but that's the game.
"In years past" that was true. Now, the ECM is adaptive. BTW- any tech worth their salt can detect when a stock tune has been modified, THEN returned to "stock." They can even tell the tables were modded and by how much.
This doesn't mean it wouldn't still pass a smog test, but it'll kill any warranty...

Old 09-02-2016, 04:33 PM
SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,095 Likes on 1,635 Posts

So, I'm willing to sell my 2014 LR w/a SE Pro Super Tuner that was dyno tuned and runs great for a special sale price of $26,995.00 today only...the price my rise next week.

Cash only and NO test rides........................oh, and will not deliver either.