Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cylinder temps

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 08:24 AM
natedog_37
Tourer
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts
Default cylinder temps

What is the normal, or at least the average cylinder temp.

Finally took a reading on my bike and my daily ride into work. stop and go city traffic about 15 miles. Front cylinder was around 275, rear was at 245.

Temp was around 70 with about 80% humidity.

I am saving for a tuner so I can watch the temps etc.

Bike has Python Pipes, and I put the A.N Big suck on just to see how I like it "Can remove to see if the temps go down" and yes I know I need a tuner read above.

Old 08-30-2016, 08:39 AM
jmeiers
Road Warrior
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

With Powervision you can watch the Engine Temp in real time. This value is not the Oil Temp. It is the Cylinder Head Temp taken from the sensor installed, I believe, on the front cylinder head.

On my bike in summer traffic, I can see high enough temps (over 300) that make me cringe and I switch the screen to another set of gauges. But once I get back on the freeway, I can watch the temps drop 50+ degrees.

I would have thought the rear head was hotter than the front simply because of less airflow on the rear.

Old 08-30-2016, 08:50 AM
natedog_37
Tourer

Originally Posted by jmeiers
With Powervision you can watch the Engine Temp in real time. This value is not the Oil Temp. It is the Cylinder Head Temp taken from the sensor installed, I believe, on the front cylinder head.

On my bike in summer traffic, I can see high enough temps (over 300) that make me cringe and I switch the screen to another set of gauges. But once I get back on the freeway, I can watch the temps drop 50+ degrees.

I would have thought the rear head was hotter than the front simply because of less airflow on the rear.

Agree I would have thought the rear would be hotter. I will test again when I get home to see what the temps are. I didn't think it was too bad but wanted to see what others are seeing. I am measuring on the outside with a hand held device.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:10 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

jmeiers, you're on the mark. The PV's 'engine temperature' is actually based on the sensor readings from the engine sensor located on the rear of the front cylinder up near the head. The Power Vision uses an algorithm to determine the displayed engine cylinder head temperature since there's only the one sensor.

Edit: The PV reads the cylinder head temperature and displays it as ET, engine temperature. As Fishonsc posts below, the cylinder head temperature is an algorithm based on ET and the intake temperatures.

When I have my Power Vision mounted to the bike I monitor cylinder head temperature, engine temperature, battery voltage, and intake temperature.

On some warm 90+ degree days earlier this month I was seeing 317° head temperature, 220° engine temperature, and 112° intake temperature as I was riding...

Last edited by TinCupChalice; 08-30-2016 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Mulit-tasking; don't do it folks!
The following users liked this post:
natedog_37 (08-30-2016)
Old 08-30-2016, 09:44 AM
jmeiers
Road Warrior
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
jmeiers, the PV's 'engine temperature' is actually based on the sensor readings from the engine sensor located on the rear of the front cylinder up near the head. The Power Vision uses an algorithm to determine the displayed engine temperature since there's only the one sensor. The PV displays the actual engine sensor temperature if you set your gauges up to monitor cylinder head temperature.

When I have my Power Vision mounted to the bike I monitor cylinder head temperature, engine temperature, battery voltage, and intake temperature.

On some warm 90+ degree days earlier this month I was seeing 317° head temperature, 220° engine temperature, and 112° intake temperature as I was riding...
Oh, maybe I been only monitoring the head temp this whole time? I do already monitor IAT. I will look at the selections again. It's been awhile.

The value I thought was Engine Temp has a Label of ET. So you are saying there are 2 values available? My bike is at home in the garage. I will look this evening. Thanks.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:52 AM
boro
Tourer
Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

The 2010 Sportster temp sensor was on the rear cylinder. I believe I read that the top of the rear cylinder was the hottest part of the bike. I sometimes got around 400* on the Sport. PV monitored temp on the Dyna hasn't been above 356* (1 hr of stop n go.)

Old 08-30-2016, 10:19 AM
natedog_37
Tourer

jmeiers, the PV's 'engine temperature' is actually based on the sensor readings from the engine sensor located on the rear of the front cylinder up near the head. The Power Vision uses an algorithm to determine the displayed engine temperature since there's only the one sensor. The PV displays the actual engine sensor temperature if you set your gauges up to monitor cylinder head temperature.

All good info. Not to worried then but I will keep monitoring it till I can get my PV. bike ran great if not better I am still thinking the bike was tuned and the last owner just removed the tuner when he sold the bike. deceleration poping has decreased a ton.

Just can't wait to get the PV and starting making more power.

Then on to a better seat OMG the stock seat kills me AS* after 250 miles.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:39 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,939 Likes on 2,294 Posts

What is "normal" and what is good or bad for your engine are two different things on the Twin Cams.

Click HERE for a report on how temps are read, whey they are what they are, when damage starts occurring, and what can be done to keep the Twin Cam operating in the optimum temperature range....both for performance and longevity.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

The following users liked this post:
natedog_37 (08-30-2016)
Old 08-30-2016, 10:59 AM
natedog_37
Tourer

Originally Posted by DK Custom
What is "normal" and what is good or bad for your engine are two different things on the Twin Cams.

Click HERE for a report on how temps are read, whey they are what they are, when damage starts occurring, and what can be done to keep the Twin Cam operating in the optimum temperature range....both for performance and longevity.
We will be talking soon when I have the $$ for the tuner.

Great info also thank you.

Old 08-30-2016, 11:25 AM
Fishonsc
Tourer
Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

I do believe you have these mixed up. ET is what the sensor is reading. Head temp is a model of IAT and ET.

By the way. My ET runs about 230. Around 275 in town. 07 96" TC.

Quick Reply: cylinder temps