Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Temperature Gauge on a FatBob

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 10:56 PM
HYPR
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Oil Temperature Gauge on a FatBob

I have tried just about everything. I don't want to install another bung into my oil pan so I am wondering can a Touring bike oil pan (they have a second oil pan bung) install on a FatBob engine in a FatBob frame?

Old 09-15-2016, 11:01 PM
flyboyslc
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Why not keep it simple?

HD Part 63065-09A fits Fat Bob...

Old 09-15-2016, 11:22 PM
HYPR
Road Master

I have a Road Glide faring and installed an Oil Pressure gauge and now an Oil Temperature gauge in the Faring along with a Volt meter and a GPS speedo because it is hard to read the tank mounted speedo when I wear my full coverage helmet. BTW I installed a UltraCooler as well.

Old 09-16-2016, 06:48 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Are you sure you want to know or have the oil temperature visible? it's just going to make you obsess over it. These bikes are made to run fricken hot and cool down quickly, do everything you can not to cook the engine and leave the gauges for cages. Now, get out there and ride that baby.

The following users liked this post:
HYPR (09-16-2016)
Old 09-16-2016, 07:19 PM
HYPR
Road Master

Originally Posted by TUCCI
Are you sure you want to know or have the oil temperature visible? it's just going to make you obsess over it. These bikes are made to run fricken hot and cool down quickly, do everything you can not to cook the engine and leave the gauges for cages. Now, get out there and ride that baby.
The answer is yes I do. I have several mods done and more to come. I am fully aware of how hot they run and the Gauge I have runs up to 300 degrees. I saw no useful reason to install a clock because I while I am riding regarding time...Am I having a good one? Is it day or night and it is time to eat? None of these require a clock. Now for the air temp...Am I hot? Take off layers. Am I cold? Put on layers. Ok next a Tach, no need since I am not deaf and as opposed to my speed for the infrequent time I want to know I can look down so that gauge would be useless for me. Boost Gauge? Not forced induction so useless. This leaves Oil Temp and that is where I am at. The gauge is installed already.

Old 09-16-2016, 10:51 PM
bigbadpoppa
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 115 Posts

Ehh. ..overrated mod. Unless your bike is prone overheating, what's the point? Had it built in to my other bikes and I never look at it. If your bike is running fine...just another meter that you don't need to watch. Even with mods...

But heck...if my bike was overheating regularly or prone to it...of course , definately worth the mod. But if that was the case...I'd be buying a new bike. Lol

HYPR (09-16-2016)
Old 09-17-2016, 12:00 AM
HYPR
Road Master

Thank you everyone for telling me that I don't need the gauge. I appreciate the and value the opinions but no offense that is what they are.
Perhaps wrenching on engines for over 47 years and building my share of rides including 12 cars and 14 motorcycles may not account for much but please understand I do have a reason for choosing this direction and option. Now getting back to my question does anyone know the answer or has anyone seen the late model Dyna pan off the bike and know how thick it is? The reason I ask is the other option is to simply remove the pan, drill and tap threads in for the sensor and be done. Thank you.

Old 09-17-2016, 12:11 AM
HrdNox
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 213 Likes on 183 Posts

Wheew! I'd tell ya if I knew man.

HYPR (09-17-2016)
Old 09-17-2016, 05:33 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts

Just a thought. Don't they make a T for the oil pressure sender or the fan switch on the cooler? Screw a temp sender there maybe?

Edit: something like this?

Last edited by Mchad; 09-17-2016 at 05:40 AM.
Old 09-17-2016, 10:37 AM
HYPR
Road Master

Originally Posted by Mchad
Just a thought. Don't they make a T for the oil pressure sender or the fan switch on the cooler? Screw a temp sender there maybe?

Edit: something like this?

Yep that was my first thought however the Oil pressure port is not in the oil so the readings would be WAY off. I next looked at the fan switch location on the cooler however there is no room. Last night I looked on line and there was a photo of a 2009 Dyna pan and I saw a bung in the pan that I had not seen on mine. My bike is now loaded in an enclosed trailer so it will be difficult to see but I am going to look this morning. Thanks, Bob

Quick Reply: Oil Temperature Gauge on a FatBob