Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saddlemen Step-Up seat review!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 11:36 AM
Saddlemen
Former Sponsor
Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by silverfoxesq
Jackpoticorn,

Now that it has been several months, what are your thoughts on your Saddlemen? I'm leaning heavily towards one and, after not finding anyone in the Forums in the Chicagoland area with on that I can check out and ask about, I'll probably be pulling the trigger this week. Have you gone on any long hauls with yet? Is it still a 10/10? Any thoughts and updates would be appreciated!
Silver-
I've got an option for you that will make it easy - email me directly at bcates@saddlemen.com please. Thanks!
Saddlemen

Old 01-30-2018, 04:27 AM
donmontalvo
Cruiser
Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DMo
Thought I'd weigh in now that I've got about 1,800 miles on my Step Up on my FXDL and have just decided it's time to sell my stock seat. I paid full price for the Step Up and have zero affiliation with Saddlemen.

In short, I love it. I went with the tuck 'n roll option and think it looks great on the bike.

Saddlemen says that it will take 1,000 to 1,500 miles to break in one of these babies, because of the medical-grade gel. Know that this is legit. The first 300 miles on this thing were seriously miserable. Stiff and unforgiving as a plank.

After 300 miles, every ride felt a little better than the last. And then somewhere around 1,100 or 1,200 miles, I found myself thinking, "this is the best seat I've ever owned." It's supportive, locks you in, and (as ridiculous as this sounds) I can actually feel the gel doing it's thing when riding over imperfect roads. I've done a couple of 250-mile days on it and felt fine to ride the next morning.

I will confirm a couple of things that others have said. These are objective points that you should consider: Compared to the stock FXDL seat (without the shitty OEM lumbar bolster mounted), the Saddlemen will seat you 1.5 to 2" forward, and about an inch higher. I'm on the shorter side (5'6" with a 29" inseam) and this was perfect for me. I appreciate being a little closer to the bars and this seat actually saved me from needing to buy a shorter T-sport shield. Also compared to the stock FXDL seat, it's narrower in the rear--maybe 0.5".

As the OP mentioned, if you're not into logos, you should definitely buy directly from Saddlemen. For whatever reason, the same tuck n' roll uncustomized seat through a vendor comes with a second, big-*** logo in white along the right side of the seat. As it is, mine only has a small black visual logo on the rear of the seat. It's very subtle.

Finally, one other thing you should know: These dudes believe in their seat and often run some trial promotions. I bought mine during the week of Daytona Bike Week--which I didn't even go to. Still, they ran a promotion that allowed anyone to buy risk-free during that time and if need be, to return it by the end of Daytona's festivities. In fact, the guy I spoke to at Saddlemen said they try to keep it quiet, but they'll offer people a long weekend's worth of risk-free riding on the regular.

I have a 2017 Harley Davidson Street Bob. I did a lot of research on saddles, and it came down to getting a wide bucket saddle, or a gel semi-wide saddle.

I tested a Saddlemen Explorer G-Tech, but I knew when I sat on it, it was wider than I wanted. It felt like a bucket (don't get me wrong, perfect for LONG touring!).

I ended up buying a Saddlemen StepUp, and was surprised to hear I had 30 days to return it...only companies that have good products have the cojones to offer that.

I was also told 1000-1500 miles to break it in, so I tracked my miles. The first 200 miles I thought about nothing but the seat, cursing it, wondering if I made a mistake.

I thought about it again at about 500 miles, it felt like it was breaking in. Then I guess I forgot about it, and only this past weekend realized I hit the 2000 mile mark on it.

Believe the hype, breakin does take some miles, and once broken in, your butt screams "Is that all you got?!" after long rides.

Ok, so to me, a long ride is 300 or so miles. I have no idea how this saddle would feel on an Iron Butt ride, but guessing that's where a Saddlemen Explorer G-Tech would be a better choice.

I'm VERY happy with my new Saddlemen StepUp, and more than happy to post to tell you guys about it. I guess you can believe the hype.

PS, no connection with the company, and I got a slight discount from the dealer (US Army Vet).

The following 2 users liked this post by donmontalvo:
danhahn (01-30-2018), Saddlemen (01-04-2019)
Old 01-30-2018, 09:04 AM
natedog_37
Tourer
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

I like this seat but can't be moved forward any want to be the same as a stock seat or back some. being 6'2" I don't want to move forward. I am ok with up.

Old 01-30-2018, 10:20 AM
Lifestarts@40
Tourer
Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

I just st got mine and it’s been comfy right from the start. No hot spots on my azz if you know what I mean.

The following users liked this post:
Saddlemen (01-04-2019)
Old 12-29-2018, 10:37 AM
mkg2018
Stage III
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by donmontalvo
I have a 2017 Harley Davidson Street Bob. I did a lot of research on saddles, and it came down to getting a wide bucket saddle, or a gel semi-wide saddle.

I tested a Saddlemen Explorer G-Tech, but I knew when I sat on it, it was wider than I wanted. It felt like a bucket (don't get me wrong, perfect for LONG touring!).

I ended up buying a Saddlemen StepUp, and was surprised to hear I had 30 days to return it...only companies that have good products have the cojones to offer that.

I was also told 1000-1500 miles to break it in, so I tracked my miles. The first 200 miles I thought about nothing but the seat, cursing it, wondering if I made a mistake.

I thought about it again at about 500 miles, it felt like it was breaking in. Then I guess I forgot about it, and only this past weekend realized I hit the 2000 mile mark on it.

Believe the hype, breakin does take some miles, and once broken in, your butt screams "Is that all you got?!" after long rides.

Ok, so to me, a long ride is 300 or so miles. I have no idea how this saddle would feel on an Iron Butt ride, but guessing that's where a Saddlemen Explorer G-Tech would be a better choice.

I'm VERY happy with my new Saddlemen StepUp, and more than happy to post to tell you guys about it. I guess you can believe the hype.

PS, no connection with the company, and I got a slight discount from the dealer (US Army Vet).

Hey mate, loving the feedback, I've got the exact bike this review has motivated me to buy the same seat. Was just wondering where you get that sissy bar from?

Saddlemen (01-04-2019)
Old 12-31-2018, 07:34 PM
donmontalvo
Cruiser
Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

https://www.thegasbox.com/parts/siss...06-and-up-dyna

By the way, I rode 2,800 on this bad boy, relocating from CA to FL, and my butt never once complained.

Last edited by donmontalvo; 12-31-2018 at 07:35 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by donmontalvo:
mkg2018 (01-07-2019), Saddlemen (01-04-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 08:31 AM
gdavis2265
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just installed two - they seem like super nice quality .

The following 2 users liked this post by gdavis2265:
donmontalvo (01-04-2019), Saddlemen (01-04-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 08:40 AM
spalko33
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Love mine!!!!! Everything you see about extending your ride time up to 400% is true with this seat. My first impressions I can still remember when i rode for the first time with it were 1. wow this is comfortable 2. it does seem to sit you a little bit higher and closer, almost like a more aggressive riding position

The following 2 users liked this post by spalko33:
donmontalvo (01-04-2019), Saddlemen (01-04-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 11:10 AM
gdavis2265
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spalko33
Love mine!!!!! Everything you see about extending your ride time up to 400% is true with this seat. My first impressions I can still remember when i rode for the first time with it were 1. wow this is comfortable 2. it does seem to sit you a little bit higher and closer, almost like a more aggressive riding position

Totally - amazing seat, I've tried Corbins, Mustangs, LePera's and the Saddleman is just amazing.

donmontalvo (01-04-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 06:18 AM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

I have the step up seat and used it last season, I loved it with the planting of your butt and actually comfortable but the only problem with it is my passengers complain that their *** hurts even after a half hour ride.
I thought that the gel would help there but no.
I just reinstalled my other seat , A Danny Gray big seat and purchased a large rear seat to go with it.
I have a nice sissy bar I put on last year and it will also compliment the new rear seat.
I like having a rider sometimes and want them to be comfortable too.
You can't beat the comfort of the Danny Gray big seat for me.
So I'll most likely be selling my fairly new brown step up seat.
PM me if interested in a killer deal.
Great for solo rider not so great for your passengers.

Quick Reply: Saddlemen Step-Up seat review!