Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saddlemen Step-Up seat review!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 12:03 PM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by EquaLibraUm
Did you sell?
Originally Posted by Domv
Hey nightsterept still have the seat ? My offer is $290 paypal right now.
This isn't a for sale thread I don't know what you guys are referencing.

Jackpoticorn I'm torn between this seat and the Corbin Widowmaker. How is it holding up to your expectations?

Old 02-23-2017, 02:14 PM
EquaLibraUm
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mattVA
This isn't a for sale thread I don't know what you guys are referencing.

Jackpoticorn I'm torn between this seat and the Corbin Widowmaker. How is it holding up to your expectations?
don't know. It automatically posted here. Maybe becuse it was a related post. Idk. And it's sold jackpoticorn

Old 03-18-2017, 11:23 AM
fxdx1985
Road Master
Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

How do you like this seat after some months in the saddle? I just got one and did a first 100 mile ride and I'm indifferent. Looks cool on the bike, I like the rider seating area shape better than what I had.

The "step up" part is really squared off with a hard edge and kind of digs into my upper butt area rather than giving good solid lumbar support like I expected. The seat keeps me planted, it's also very firm. I kind of feel like I'm sitting on top of the seat and never really sink into it or get cushioning. Does this get better as the seat breaks in?

With other seats (Le Pera Daytona and Badlander) I would get like tailbone/butt pain due to poor padding, but with this I ended up with lower back pain.

Kind of bummed the $500 price tag didn't solve my issues.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:26 AM
Saddlemen
Former Sponsor
Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

The Step Up is different than a " touring" style seat for sure that you sit in rather than on as touring seats are typically more bucketted. Have you had a chance to put some miles on the seat yet? They do relax after some miles. Please do feel free to message us if we can help. Thank you.
Team Saddldmen
800 397 7709

Originally Posted by fxdx1985
How do you like this seat after some months in the saddle? I just got one and did a first 100 mile ride and I'm indifferent. Looks cool on the bike, I like the rider seating area shape better than what I had.

The "step up" part is really squared off with a hard edge and kind of digs into my upper butt area rather than giving good solid lumbar support like I expected. The seat keeps me planted, it's also very firm. I kind of feel like I'm sitting on top of the seat and never really sink into it or get cushioning. Does this get better as the seat breaks in?

With other seats (Le Pera Daytona and Badlander) I would get like tailbone/butt pain due to poor padding, but with this I ended up with lower back pain.

Kind of bummed the $500 price tag didn't solve my issues.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:35 AM
wideglideCVO
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,380 Likes on 808 Posts

Saddlemen explorer seat, good lower back support and comfortable.

Old 04-03-2017, 10:38 AM
silverfoxesq
Novice

Originally Posted by Jackpoticorn
Background - I love the look of my bike with a solo seat, but I also knew that upgrading to a 2-up was best for the long run. I LOVE Le Pera seats and tried several of them before pulling the trigger on my new Saddlemen. I also tried the Lucky Dave's in person and 1) couldn't get over the giant logos on the sides and 2) felt that it moved me up and forward too much.

My buddy ordered one of the first new Saddlemen Step-Up seats …
Jackpoticorn,

Now that it has been several months, what are your thoughts on your Saddlemen? I'm leaning heavily towards one and, after not finding anyone in the Forums in the Chicagoland area with on that I can check out and ask about, I'll probably be pulling the trigger this week. Have you gone on any long hauls with yet? Is it still a 10/10? Any thoughts and updates would be appreciated!

Old 04-03-2017, 10:50 AM
Dynaglide92
Road Master
Received 188 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by silverfoxesq
Jackpoticorn,

Now that it has been several months, what are your thoughts on your Saddlemen? I'm leaning heavily towards one and, after not finding anyone in the Forums in the Chicagoland area with on that I can check out and ask about, I'll probably be pulling the trigger this week. Have you gone on any long hauls with yet? Is it still a 10/10? Any thoughts and updates would be appreciated!

im from Chicago and have one but haven't put hard miles on it. First impressions are that it sits you up and forward. It is still firm but that's what I prefer.

The following users liked this post:
silverfoxesq (04-03-2017)
Old 04-03-2017, 07:28 PM
Fxdh2112
5th Gear

Really tempted to compare one to my BMC Rumble.

Old 05-24-2017, 11:09 AM
DMo
Advanced
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Thought I'd weigh in now that I've got about 1,800 miles on my Step Up on my FXDL and have just decided it's time to sell my stock seat. I paid full price for the Step Up and have zero affiliation with Saddlemen.

In short, I love it. I went with the tuck 'n roll option and think it looks great on the bike.

Saddlemen says that it will take 1,000 to 1,500 miles to break in one of these babies, because of the medical-grade gel. Know that this is legit. The first 300 miles on this thing were seriously miserable. Stiff and unforgiving as a plank.

After 300 miles, every ride felt a little better than the last. And then somewhere around 1,100 or 1,200 miles, I found myself thinking, "this is the best seat I've ever owned." It's supportive, locks you in, and (as ridiculous as this sounds) I can actually feel the gel doing it's thing when riding over imperfect roads. I've done a couple of 250-mile days on it and felt fine to ride the next morning.

I will confirm a couple of things that others have said. These are objective points that you should consider: Compared to the stock FXDL seat (without the shitty OEM lumbar bolster mounted), the Saddlemen will seat you 1.5 to 2" forward, and about an inch higher. I'm on the shorter side (5'6" with a 29" inseam) and this was perfect for me. I appreciate being a little closer to the bars and this seat actually saved me from needing to buy a shorter T-sport shield. Also compared to the stock FXDL seat, it's narrower in the rear--maybe 0.5".

As the OP mentioned, if you're not into logos, you should definitely buy directly from Saddlemen. For whatever reason, the same tuck n' roll uncustomized seat through a vendor comes with a second, big-*** logo in white along the right side of the seat. As it is, mine only has a small black visual logo on the rear of the seat. It's very subtle.

Finally, one other thing you should know: These dudes believe in their seat and often run some trial promotions. I bought mine during the week of Daytona Bike Week--which I didn't even go to. Still, they ran a promotion that allowed anyone to buy risk-free during that time and if need be, to return it by the end of Daytona's festivities. In fact, the guy I spoke to at Saddlemen said they try to keep it quiet, but they'll offer people a long weekend's worth of risk-free riding on the regular.

Attached Thumbnails Saddlemen Step-Up seat review!-img_5615.jpg   Saddlemen Step-Up seat review!-img_5667.jpg   Saddlemen Step-Up seat review!-img_5673.jpg   Saddlemen Step-Up seat review!-img_5776.jpg  

Last edited by DMo; 05-25-2017 at 07:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rauchman (05-24-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 11:35 AM
fxdx1985
Road Master
Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

I concur. First few rides I was seriously considering ditching this thing. Got a couple thousand miles on it now and it is a much different seat than when I started. Everything in the above post is accurate.

Quick Reply: Saddlemen Step-Up seat review!