Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

School me on fairings

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 05:50 PM
cthagreekgod
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm running the Memphis shades gauntlet and a buddy has the rifle roadster with 15" screen. Let's just say I am super jealous. He has way more wind protection and it looks sharp to boot.

Old 06-26-2017, 01:13 AM
Audie Cherry
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Effectiveness?

I know this is an old thread, but how effective is that long cafe fairing? Looking at one for my low rider

Originally Posted by AGAF
I'm interested in your opinions on adding a fairing. I've got an '04 FXD with 12" mini apes. Kind of getting tired of all the wind in my chest and face. What works and what doesn't? I used to have a windshield that didn't really work at all. Just seemed to concentrate wind to my upper chest and face/head. Always caught myself trying to look under or over the top of the windshield so I took it off. I've read about folks relocating their headlight, but don't see how this is possible with my bike and if it is even necessary. Used to think most people just had fairings for their looks or "cool" factor, but they have to be functional.
There are so many options out there, I don't really know where to start. Don't know what size shield to add either. Please let me know of your experiences and if you think it is worth the cost.

Old 11-19-2017, 09:40 AM
rogue125
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same here Audie, with winter almost here it's time to finish up my modifications on my Dyna. I'm looking into either the Arlen Ness fairing or the M.S. Gauntlet. When you " get her done " down load some pictures, ttfn.

Old 11-19-2017, 08:58 PM
REW13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 763 Likes on 631 Posts
Old 11-19-2017, 09:13 PM
REW13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 763 Likes on 631 Posts

Top is the old, bottom is the new.
The top one is a 30 dollar Amazon fairing I bought just to try to see if it worked and I liked it. It did OK. It kept a lot of the wind off my chest, made it more comfortable when doing the little bit of interstate riding that I do. However my head did bobble around a wee bit.
The second one is a Dart fairing, the company is from England. This one does not have a trim ring around the light, but that's not important. But this one does the same as the first, but it does not give me the bobble head effect like the other one..
If it was 1 1/2 inch taller it would most likely block 90 percent of the wind off my head.
Over all I like the Dart for me.

Old 11-20-2017, 09:20 AM
Wheelup
Banned
Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Mounting the Rushmore Road Glide fairing on a Dyna is another option. I am having these brackets made up and will be for sale in the coming weeks. All you need is the inner and outer fairings.

Attached Thumbnails School me on fairings-dsc_0069.jpg  
Old 11-20-2017, 07:54 PM
Capt Steve
Road Captain
Received 244 Likes on 90 Posts
Wink Memphis Shades Batwing...

The original owner of my 2010 FXD added the Memphis Shades batwing fairing and I love it {check out my profile pic}. I cannot imagine a more functional fairing. I can run 80 all day and night with the visor up on my modular helmet.

Not sure if my fairing can be modified for a stereo install. I have no need or interest in a stereo of any kind... I am seriously deaf and ride with my hearing aids out and earplugs in {gunfire will do that to you}.

Old 11-20-2017, 11:08 PM
esteboatan
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Memphis Shades Gauntlet on my 2011 FXDC. I really like it, keeps the blast off the chest and I can ride all day with it

Old 11-21-2017, 04:08 AM
cutter4292
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Same bike with same fairing. And I like it too.

Old 11-21-2017, 11:49 AM
jqb12
Road Master
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by strat10
I have a 15 Wide Glide. I got the Arlen Ness quarter fairing. Not very expensive to buy it, but you need to get some fork clamps and all in, with the fairing, hardware, and paint match im in about 850.00. I did have to trim the fairing quite a bit, but its pretty straight forward.

I really like the looks, and it definitely gets the wind of the chest. Leaving it black would have saved me 400 bucks, but I love the way it looks.

I was under the impression that you couldn't run a small fairing on a wide glide front end? I've got a 12 Street Bob with a WG front end on it. Can you clear this up for me?
Thanks

Quick Reply: School me on fairings