Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

School me on fairings

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 05:36 PM
AGAF
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Arrow School me on fairings

I'm interested in your opinions on adding a fairing. I've got an '04 FXD with 12" mini apes. Kind of getting tired of all the wind in my chest and face. What works and what doesn't? I used to have a windshield that didn't really work at all. Just seemed to concentrate wind to my upper chest and face/head. Always caught myself trying to look under or over the top of the windshield so I took it off. I've read about folks relocating their headlight, but don't see how this is possible with my bike and if it is even necessary. Used to think most people just had fairings for their looks or "cool" factor, but they have to be functional.
There are so many options out there, I don't really know where to start. Don't know what size shield to add either. Please let me know of your experiences and if you think it is worth the cost.

The following users liked this post:
708encore (09-08-2018)
Old 10-12-2016, 06:09 PM
strat10
Tourer
Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

I have a 15 Wide Glide. I got the Arlen Ness quarter fairing. Not very expensive to buy it, but you need to get some fork clamps and all in, with the fairing, hardware, and paint match im in about 850.00. I did have to trim the fairing quite a bit, but its pretty straight forward.

I really like the looks, and it definitely gets the wind of the chest. Leaving it black would have saved me 400 bucks, but I love the way it looks.

Old 10-12-2016, 06:19 PM
AGAF
Advanced

That looks sick (in a good way)!

Old 10-12-2016, 09:25 PM
motolocopat
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Windvest 14"

I like the Windvest I have on mine.
It is a real minimalist look in the mode of the Big Old Flat windscreens.
It blocks plenty of wind off so you don't have to hold on at 70+MPH. In fact it gives a bit of the pull your glasses forward and you can easily one hand it while running 85MPH. They are well made and have a decent resale if you don't like it or just want to resale or go a different route later.

Strat10 has a real nice looking setup .. totally different sporty look

Old 10-12-2016, 09:32 PM
iceman4160
Cruiser
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Bought this Russ Wiermont long café fairing couple hundred bucks comes with brackets and you can adjust it to suit your needs. I airbrush and paint for a hobby so all the paint job cost me was time and cost of paint (6 coats Candy Black , 3 coats of clear, then ghost flames and 3 more coats of clear)

Old 10-13-2016, 10:57 AM
Fireguy88
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

You're right they're are a lot of fairing options out there. First you need to decide what type of fairing you're looking for. Quarter? Full Batwing? Fixed? I rock a quarter because it's functional, i dig the look and I don't want the extra weight of a full on my front end. Here are some options to check out.

Quarter Fairing:
JD Customs FXDXT reproduction fairing
Connelly's FXDXT reproduction fairing
Arlen Ness Quarter Fairing
HD Quarter Fairing
Memphis Shades Gauntlet fairing
Rifle Roadster Quarter Fairing
Southeast Custom Cycles Quarter Fairing

Batwing: (Can get full stereo or just outer)
DeadCenter Cycles Road Captain Fairing
Memphis Shades Batwing
Hoppe Industries
Dragonfly
A lot more options.

Fixed:
I've seen people fit Road Glide Fairings to their dynas.
Deviant Fabrications FXRD/P Fairings
JD Customs FXRT Reproduction Fairing
Vacant House Parts
There's some others

Last edited by Fireguy88; 10-13-2016 at 05:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
AGAF (10-13-2016)
Old 10-13-2016, 11:06 AM
strat10
Tourer
Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Tons of great options listed here. You also might want to check out http://bmc-motorcycle-co.mybigcommer...-for-fxr-dyna/

They have a cool fairing. A bit pricey, but Ive heard good things.

Old 10-13-2016, 03:22 PM
Jake911
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I have a batwing w/stereo on my 98 soft tail and a Rifle fairing w/ 15" shield on my '15 Dyna. The most significant piece I added related to the fairing, however, is the dresser air baffle that bolts to the lower triple tree. It prevents air from coming up under the fairing and eliminated buffeting. Best $30 spent.

I don't have a pick or part number available but I found the mod in a Rifle Fairing post on the forum.

Once you go fairing, it's hard to go back.

Old 10-13-2016, 03:59 PM
AGAF
Advanced

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Right now, the two that I am most interested in are the Conely's T-Sport with 14" screen and the Rifle Roadster fairing with 15" screen. On my older, narrow glide forks, I don't think I want to go much bigger without it looking really funny. Mainly want to get most of the wind off my chest/torso and head area.

Jake911, if you have time, is there any way you could find out more about that dresser air baffle that you are talking about such as a name or where one could purchase? Is it something you buy and bolt on or is it a fabricated type mod? Thanks

Old 10-13-2016, 05:29 PM
Fireguy88
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

I have the baffle as well. It used to come standard on Electra glide but no longer does. Just have to bend it a little to fit.

http://mstore.harley-davidson.com/store/front-fork-air-baffle?source_cd=SEM_Shop_PLA&_cr=pla Google 58520-79TC_10685&gclid=CLe3q43q2M8CFQ0yaQodtA4L7Q

Quick Reply: School me on fairings