Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

low rider with 120R incident

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 12:05 PM
krouke
Tourer
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Default low rider with 120R incident

I bought my lowrider and replaced the 103 with a 120R motor in July. I have about 1771 miles on it. I noticed a leak about 3 weeks ago and it has been at the dealer 2.5 weeks. They just started on it today Sat.10/15/2016. I was upset that it sat 2 weeks before they even got to it. I understand that the engine has no warranty because it is a race scremin eagle motor. They found the cylinder gasket was leaking and told me it would cost me 650 for replacement. I was upset but since the gasket was ordered for the race engine then I accept it not being covered. If the gear box or anything below engine would be covered but again the gasket is part of the race motor. But!!! I get a call today and the service guy says "Sir, we found another issue". He explained that there was a pin in each pushrod that directs the way the push rod turns and 1 pin was put in wrong when they built the engine. The other 3 pushrods were ok he says! He said since the technician had the heads off of bike to put gasket on he inspected and found the pin/pushrod problem. I do not know how it all works but have basic mechanical knowledge and can figure out some internal mechanical function. I just spoke with the service manager and he got into a great detail of his findings so far. He said the pushrod had a pin assembled wrong but the other pushrods were ok except he added they are going to inspect the valves and other components that the pushrod interacts with to be sure there is no damage and said the dealership is going to cover the head valve pushrod damage and all related even if Harley doesn't cover it. He said they could still deny warranty because paperwork says no warranty but the assembly being put in wrong to me has legal merit. I am satisfied the dealership is going to cover the repairs outside the gasket and I feel they feel Harley will cover the repair or they wouldn't cover it. They are going to try to get the gasket covered even tho they say it probably be my 650.00 expense. I feel it should be covered because I feel the pin being placed wrong in the pushrod is their build error. I can accept it even if I have to pay for gasket repair 650. but I feel again the whole problem is related to this pin being put in wrong. I also feel the dealer is paying for the other damage because its only parts like valves and gaskets and springs etc etc. I am paying for the tear down of the engine anyway and that's the major expense. Its a very thin line but all things considered I will be pleased if that's all it cost me! Thoughts

Old 10-15-2016, 12:14 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

The pin placement(?) has nothing to do with the base gasket leak.
You should be thankful that this was found now as opposed to later in a real bad way. The dealer trying to get that pin repair covered by H-D is very commendable.

Old 10-15-2016, 12:21 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Sounds like a win to me.

Old 10-15-2016, 12:44 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,030 Likes on 651 Posts

I don't see how they could put the pins in wrong. They only can go on one way! Unless the 120r uses two of them for each cylinder. I think what he was saying is they neglected to put it in a pin which doesn't allow the lifter to turn in it's bore. They are called anti rotation pins.

Old 10-15-2016, 04:06 PM
krouke
Tourer
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

yep, I guess its anti rotation pins. i am satisfied but glad they caught it while engine was down . Could have been worse. The dealer said part was not installed in there right....

Old 10-15-2016, 04:17 PM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Hope they can work this out for you. That is one of the reasons I went with the 117 kit in my Dyna S. It's totally covered by the warranty where as you said the 120R motor is a race motor and not covered generally. I was happy with the 123 hp and 125 ft lbs of torque as well with the 117.

Old 10-15-2016, 04:20 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

I would expect a race-use engine to be hand assembled by one experienced technician. Whoever built this one needs reassigned.

If built on a line....well...no thanks...

Old 10-15-2016, 04:31 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,384 Likes on 2,951 Posts

Are they R & R the gasket with another of the same quality/design? If so, what are the chances of another failure?
I remember the paper gaskets HD used in their EVO's that leaked after 8 or 10,000 miles. I replaced mine with upgraded steel with rubber impregnation. Those lasted 100,000 miles, until I traded the bike in last Feb.

Old 10-15-2016, 06:09 PM
kit05
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

if you a knew the pin was installed incorrectly would you have to tear down the cylinder...? yes you would.

granted the gasket was leaking however i would push back on the dealer and split the $650. they have some responsibility in this, it is not right that they benifit on the gasket leak to save, the benifit should be shared equally.

Old 10-15-2016, 07:24 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

No. The engine is unwarranteed. Period. Any break you get from the dealer is a gift. Treat it as such.

Quick Reply: low rider with 120R incident