Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Lowrider Ignition Switch

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 11:47 AM
JustMike
Tourer

Received 68 Likes on 46 Posts
Default 2014 Lowrider Ignition Switch

This last Sunday decided to ride to the dealer to pickup a jacket that I had ordered. About a 50 mile ride. Get to the dealer and reach down to turn off the ignition switch. What the hell, the **** is gone. The only thing there is the post with the key switch. One soft rag and a pair of pliers later was able to turn if off. Bright side at least I was at the dealer. Down side the bike is still there waiting on parts. It's had both recalls done for the ignition switch. Service manager seemed to indicate that there's just a set screw holding the **** on.

Has this happened to anyone else or am I just lucky?

Old 10-18-2016, 12:23 PM
emperor wurm
Road Warrior
Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

WOW, hasnt happened to me, but something to look out for. good to know. ill check the set screw right now!

Old 10-18-2016, 01:02 PM
The Gray Wolf
6th Gear
Location: North Texas in the winter, the Colorado high country in the summer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well shoot. I received a recall letter from Harley about the switch recall on my '16 Low Rider. I had a local HD dealer order the parts yesterday. I haven't had any problems yet. But I hate when a vehicle (bike or cage) is recalled and the "fix" is worse than it was originally. I wonder what it would take to remove the entire switch like the new Low Rider S. (I have the security fobs) They don't even have a switch.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:23 PM
MRFREEZE57
Grand HDF Member
Received 4,039 Likes on 1,894 Posts

do a forum search low rider ignition switch relocation. the OP of that thread has a good idea of relocating the switch to the frame. may eventually do that to mine.

Old 04-09-2017, 12:24 AM
UrbanRunner
Road Master

Received 367 Likes on 207 Posts

Well during my Saturday ride I thought felt something hit my left ankle. Looked down and everything seemed fine. A short while later I stopped to get fuel and when I looked down to turn off the ignition my switch was in the same condition as the OP reports. I'm pretty sure this is the third ignition switch on this bike. Once replaced on recall prior to my purchase of the new bike and once on recall that I took it in for.

With my gloves on I can turn the remaining post to the on/off positions, barehanded it can be difficult.

I'm wondering if my local H-D dealer will charge me for a replacement...
Guess I'll find out on Monday/Tuesday.

Last edited by UrbanRunner; 04-09-2017 at 12:30 AM.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:36 AM
nebraider
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They should keep replacing them but it's hit or miss. I have two buddies with '15 lowriders, one has had the problem twice, the other hasn't had it once.
We took the switch apart to find it's the welding on the backing plate that comes loose.... So I simply took the new switch apart and welded the backing plate up a little more, problem solved.

Old 04-09-2017, 02:44 PM
HeelDragger
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I moved my 2014 Low Rider ignition switch to the right side of bike just under the battery box. The switch **** is held on by a set screw. I found that the set screw was not tightened properly after I had the recall performed by my dealer. When I reassembled the switch onto my home made bracket assembly I used blue locktite and have not had a problem with it with over 2000 miles since I moved it.