Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Avoided disaster/don't cheap out.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 10:54 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts
Default Avoided disaster/don't cheap out.

A couple of weeks ago I installed the H-D frame side mounted oil cooler on my 16 Dyna S. I test rode it and checked for leaks. None were noted.

Today I headed out for a two state ride. Usually I would go by interstate but I went on two lane roads.,

When I got close to crossing from Illinois to Iowa there was a traffic light and I caught it. As I was sitting there I smelled hot oil and looked down. My shoes and pant legs, the engine both side and exhaust system was covered in oil.

When the light changed there was a spot to pull over off the road. I could not find the source of the leak. Oil lines were intact, the hose clamps were tight and I could not see oil coming out of the adapter.

Checked the oil and it was one mark above the fill line of 1 quart down. There was a Shell station about 6 miles back and I though that since I was at 25 miles I could make it there. When I got there it was at the add one quart mark. I bought a quart of Rotella T and put it in. The was another Shell station between there an home so I went for it.

Stopped at that station and the oil was down 1 mark so I headed home. When I got home it was down the full quart again.

Got my tools out and took off the filter then the adapter. The o-ring on the adapter was fine. I looked at it with a magnifying glass. The same with the oil filter seal. Checked the hoses and clamps again. All okay.

I installed everything back and used a new filter. Went on a 6 mile loop and stopped each mile. No leaks.

When I got back I suspected that it may have been the filter. I got a visor with several levels of magnification on it and there it was. A very small pin hole which was made by the filter removing tool.

The tool is the kind H-D sells that has two curved pieces that go out about 2 inches and are about an inch wide. When rotated it closes onto the filter or releases depending on the direction of rotation.

The filter was on from the 1K service and the installer must have over tightened it. I did have to really lever on it to remove the filter. So the tool dug in enough to cut into the filter shell.

The lesson I learned. Yes at 76 I still can learn. Use a new filter if you remove one to add a cooler. Don't cheap out like I did. It was only on for few hundred miles and was chrome.

Where I was lucky was had I went onto the interstate like I usually do it would have went until the red light came on and that may have been too late.

The following 4 users liked this post by lh4x4:
Davdoodles (10-20-2016), fxdlx (10-20-2016), Rocket Rider (10-20-2016), Thingfish (10-20-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 02:40 AM
HrdNox
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 213 Likes on 183 Posts

Good job pops!

Old 10-20-2016, 05:54 AM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I always use my hands to tighten and check afterwards. Filters tighten up with use so an installation wrench is no good.
When I smelt oil from my oil cooler install it was from the line popping off at the adapter behind everything. I had it double clamped.
Since then I modified fot 1/8" pipe and use Stainless braided lines. No leaks.
At least you didn't go for a slippery ride.

Old 10-20-2016, 06:21 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

That had potential for disaster in a couple of different ways, glad you got home safely and were able to determine the cause of your problem!

I'll add this to the list of reasons why I use FLO PCS4 permanent oil filters

Old 10-20-2016, 07:41 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Glad you noticed the problem early and made it home OK.

I would have never guessed that a filter wrench would cut thru the can.

Old 10-20-2016, 07:52 AM
Jake911
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I always hand-tighten oil filters, be it bike or car. But good and lucky catch!

Old 10-20-2016, 08:10 AM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 866 Likes on 546 Posts

I can`t seem to picture what filter wrench you are talking about. I use the kind that fits over the whole top of the filter like a socket.

Old 10-20-2016, 08:39 AM
Kid Red
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad that turned out as good as it did, it could have went way worse in a number of ways. Thanks for sharing, now I learned something too without having to go through it.

Old 10-20-2016, 09:36 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,235 Likes on 1,811 Posts

Similar?

Yes, those Removers can be invasive (as you found out). Should only be used for removing Old filter that will be discarded.

Glad it wasn't worse

The following 2 users liked this post by multihdrdr:
Qdog002 (10-20-2016), sn95bullitt (10-20-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 12:12 PM
weever82
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow that was lucky. Good to be better safe than sorry for a few bucks.

Glad your ok

Quick Reply: Avoided disaster/don't cheap out.