Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Metzeler tires on wide glide?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 12:48 PM
wideglideCVO
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,380 Likes on 808 Posts
Default New Metzeler tires on wide glide?

Can anyone tell me what they have experienced with life span and traction. I just got them put on my wide glide coming from Dunlop tires. They seem to handle much better than dunlops?

Old 12-15-2016, 01:15 PM
Kid Red
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've have the 880's on my Fat Bob for a few thousand miles now. Handling is way better, much stickier tire, especially in the rain. Not much wear yet either. The 888's have a harder compound in the center for longer wear and have a softer compound on the sides for sticking in the corners. I think they are the best compromise between handing and longevity out there.

Old 12-16-2016, 02:43 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

I always ran Metz until a while ago when I decided to try the new Michelins, I will be going back to Metz as soon as I need another set. Handling and longevity were never a concern with Metz.

Old 12-17-2016, 07:54 AM
hollandhunter
Road Captain
Received 127 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by wideglideCVO
Can anyone tell me what they have experienced with life span and traction. I just got them put on my wide glide coming from Dunlop tires. They seem to handle much better than dunlops?
I ran metzlers on my last bike. An they were by far the best tire i have owned on a harley. Met a guy on craiglist who had a warehouse full of them and was selling them for 10 bucks a set.
An i was highly impressed with them once i got them mounted i bought 3 sets off him and put them in my garage. Then my garage and bike burnt to the ground because a dumb neighbor was burning on a no burn ban day and that was the end of that. Anyway i think they are good tires and after my commandors wear out on my new sb i will get another set. Prolly wont ever run into a deal like i did the last time but owell.

Old 12-17-2016, 08:20 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,919 Likes on 3,019 Posts

I'm running the Metzler 880's, great traction, only drawback (for me) is the front tire picked up sand and exected it out the front of the fender, into my face.

Old 12-17-2016, 08:21 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

If you're replacing OEM Dunlops, you'll find advice on many threads not to overlook aftermarket Dunlops like the E3's or American Elite series. As little sense as that seems to make, I can nonetheless confirm from 1st hand experience that my E3's are indeed a remarkable improvement in both handling and wear over my OEM tires. Check the Forum and you'll see that I'm only one of a vast majority of Dunlop users to experience this sort of weird but true difference.

I've never tried Metzelers, but from considerable reading of reviews and recommendations I'm convinced they too are an excellent tire,, with one caveat. Be careful with Brazilian made Metz. There have been rare but real delaminating issues cited and rightly or wrongly attributed to Brazilian tires. FWIW.

Old 12-17-2016, 08:31 AM
MURPHCC1
Club Member
Received 2,791 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Ran 2 sets of 880's ........20k on the front, 11k on the rear...now I have a 888 on the rear and still have about 10k to go on the 880 front....love them!!

Old 12-17-2016, 08:33 AM
ntculenuf
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put the ME880's front and rear on my Fat Bob. Right out the gate i noticed how much smoother and quicker they turn compared to the OEM Dunlop tires. I don't have more than 30 miles on them right now but am happy with my decision. And hard decision it was, everybody has their own opinion on tires. Even when I went to the shop the guys were asking me if I liked them (just said first time , I'll find out). they all like the Michelin commander II's.

I did go with a bigger size than OEM like others on this forum, which looks awesome!

Old 12-17-2016, 09:56 AM
Biter
Cruiser
Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by wideglideCVO
Put 90/90/21 Front and 200/55/17 Marathon Ultras on mine. Greatly improves handling both in terms of front end feel and cruising stability.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/377698-2010-wide-glide-owners-let-s-keep-track-of-our-mods-426.html

Old 12-17-2016, 05:47 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,919 Likes on 3,019 Posts

And the other BIG thing was they're not crack chasers like the Dunlops.

Quick Reply: New Metzeler tires on wide glide?