Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Creeping & Hard Shift / Barnett Extra Plate

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 05:52 PM
AUTOT3K
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Clutch Creeping & Hard Shift / Barnett Extra Plate

Hey guys.
I seem to be struggling to understand how to properly adjust the clutch. Ive watched some videos and read lots of threads but what I dont fully understand is where I need to adjust; like the direction.
I installed the Barnett kevlar extra plate kit and HD spring.
I loosened the cable off so there was lots of slack. Loosened jam nut on primary and tightened the rod in (clockwise) until it touched then backed off 3/4 of a turn and tightened the jam nut. Adjusted cable till 1/8" of freeplay. Now when I pop it into gear... its creeping, hard and I have to shut it down to find neutral. If I turn the adjustment on the cable taking away all free play and then some... it'll work but I know that's not right.
So my adjustment on the primary must be wrong... would I need to back it out LESS once touched down to fully disengage the clutch? This is where I'm struggling to understand what to do.
​​​​​
​​​​​15 FXDF (on mobile so my signature probably wont show up)

Old 12-18-2016, 06:48 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,030 Likes on 651 Posts

Do the whole clutch adjustment procedure again from scratch. Sometimes you have to squeezes the lever a few times to seat the clutch pushrod before it will adjust properly. You should just feel drag when you start backing it out.

On a side note but maybe related....did your clutch plate kit call for you to remove the damper spring and spring seat?

Old 12-18-2016, 07:07 PM
AUTOT3K
Tourer

Originally Posted by misfitJason

On a side note but maybe related....did your clutch plate kit call for you to remove the damper spring and spring seat?
No it called for me to reuse them, so the clutch is definitely assembled correctly. I just need to fine tune the adjustment!

Old 12-18-2016, 07:12 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,252 Likes on 3,626 Posts

Where is the friction zone?? If it's still out where it's supposed to be then you might have assembled the damping spring / spacer wrong. Did you soak the plates? What about oil level.. Jason idea about popping the lever a couple times is good but screw the center adjuster in 1/2 turn past tight before doing it then see where it backs off to.. If less than 1/2 turn repeat until no change then adjust properly.. I've heard that the +1 kits are known to drag.. Only way I've used them is without the damping spring and a stock thickness wide plate in place of the damping arrangement.. It work well that way but the friction zone can be narrow and the clutch might squawk.

Old 12-18-2016, 07:42 PM
AUTOT3K
Tourer

Originally Posted by bwoltz
Where is the friction zone?? If it's still out where it's supposed to be then you might have assembled the damping spring / spacer wrong. Did you soak the plates? What about oil level.. Jason idea about popping the lever a couple times is good but screw the center adjuster in 1/2 turn past tight before doing it then see where it backs off to.. If less than 1/2 turn repeat until no change then adjust properly.. I've heard that the +1 kits are known to drag.. Only way I've used them is without the damping spring and a stock thickness wide plate in place of the damping arrangement.. It work well that way but the friction zone can be narrow and the clutch might squawk.
The friction is almost instant, especially since its dragging.
I soaked the plates for a while.

Old 12-18-2016, 07:43 PM
AUTOT3K
Tourer

How does the primary adjustment work?
So if I'm at 3/4 of a turn loosening and its dragging /instant friction...
Would 1/2 turn make it start the friction zone later?

Old 12-19-2016, 01:13 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by AUTOT3K
The friction is almost instant, especially since its dragging.
I soaked the plates for a while.
I assume it starts with the clutch in.. Where does it end?? How far out? At the end?

Old 12-19-2016, 01:27 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

How does the primary adjustment work?
So if I'm at 3/4 of a turn loosening and its dragging /instant friction...
Would 1/2 turn make it start the friction zone later?
The center adjuster is really sort of a course adjustment to the clutch.. The cables adjustment set where the clutch releases..

Old 12-19-2016, 10:12 AM
AUTOT3K
Tourer

Originally Posted by bwoltz
I assume it starts with the clutch in.. Where does it end?? How far out? At the end?
I'm having a hard time judging that in the garage. Where the cable gets freeplay wouldnt necessarily indicate full engagement would it?

Old 12-19-2016, 10:37 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

I'm having a hard time judging that in the garage. Where the cable gets freeplay wouldnt necessarily indicate full engagement would it?
It should but not always.. You might want to cut the slack to 1/16 inch and see if it helps.. Also is the clutch lever stock? Some levers reduce length of pull on the cable.

Quick Reply: Clutch Creeping & Hard Shift / Barnett Extra Plate