Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

15,000 mile inner primary bearing - definitive answer!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 01:14 PM
warren888
Account Suspended
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 15,000 mile inner primary bearing - definitive answer!

I saw a number of threads on this, and checked the Harley website. Under the "service check" function, it lists replacing the inner primary bearing every 15,000 miles, even though Harley retracted their initial positioning on this issue.

So I called into Harley and spoke to their tech group. Here is the story from them direct:

a). They did make a few changes to the transmission that impacted this replacement - and they do not require replacement now.

b). If you had a bike that required recalls - you had the changes done during the recall remediation (the tranny recall).

c). Once they identified the change, the factory revised the build - so any biked manufactured after this come from the factory with the change.

d). He claims it did NOT have to do with a ratcheting auto-chain tensioner - it was related to a modification in the transmission (some screw replacement -he could not recall the exact details).

e). I showed him how the 5,000 mile checkup on the web site still shows the replacement requirement - and he was very surprised. They missed removing that on the web site. I suspect they will fix the web site ASAP.

f). The '07 model has the same bearing - no changes made to it.

g). While on the phone - I spoke to him about some design suggestions - which he was actually interested in. Specifically, the ugly front turn signal relocation (stalks too long), and the idea of a tank lift. He was quite intrigued about the lift in particular.

So that's the story from the horses mouth. I'm not going to worry about it anymore.

Old 05-29-2007, 01:51 PM
AZ Rider
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 15,000 mile inner primary bearing - definitive answer!

They replaced my bearing months AFTER they did the transmission recall work.

Thanks for the info.

Old 05-29-2007, 01:53 PM
glebo
Grand HDF Member

Received 995 Likes on 326 Posts

reference letter "c" in your post, whats the date?? Is it october 06?

Old 05-29-2007, 02:19 PM
warren888
Account Suspended

I didn't ask the specific date when the changes went into effect.

However, he claims your VIN will show if anything is needed (part of their internal safety recall list - which I think comes up on the web site service check as well).

I could imagine a bearing on the original bikes being worn somewhat prior to the recall change, so not sure about that.

In any event, whether HD knows what they're talking about remains to be seen, but the listing on the web site to do the change very 15,000 miles is onerous, and they do not believe it will be required now.

Old 05-29-2007, 10:50 PM
bronk
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had the same conversation with a local fiels rep at the dealer I was working at for a bit.He also was suprised as to the bearing showing up on the list.He did admit that the website does NOT know your vehicle from any others of that model yaer.Its more or less a blanket type program.

Old 05-29-2007, 11:31 PM
mud
muderator
Received 8,771 Likes on 2,063 Posts

ORIGINAL: warren888
.................................................. ................
So I called into Harley and spoke to their tech group.
Thanks for the info warren.

What's that phone number for the tech group??

mud

I saw a number of threads on this, and checked the Harley website. Under the "service check" function, it lists replacing the inner primary bearing every 15,000 miles, even though Harley retracted their initial positioning on this issue.

So I called into Harley and spoke to their tech group. Here is the story from them direct:

a). They did make a few changes to the transmission that impacted this replacement - and they do not require replacement now.

b). If you had a bike that required recalls - you had the changes done during the recall remediation (the tranny recall).

c). Once they identified the change, the factory revised the build - so any biked manufactured after this come from the factory with the change.

d). He claims it did NOT have to do with a ratcheting auto-chain tensioner - it was related to a modification in the transmission (some screw replacement -he could not recall the exact details).

e). I showed him how the 5,000 mile checkup on the web site still shows the replacement requirement - and he was very surprised. They missed removing that on the web site. I suspect they will fix the web site ASAP.

f). The '07 model has the same bearing - no changes made to it.

g). While on the phone - I spoke to him about some design suggestions - which he was actually interested in. Specifically, the ugly front turn signal relocation (stalks too long), and the idea of a tank lift. He was quite intrigued about the lift in particular.

So that's the story from the horses mouth. I'm not going to worry about it anymore.

Old 05-29-2007, 11:45 PM
warren888
Account Suspended

Hey Mud,

I should correct that - I can't say they were a tech group. I called the main number in Milwaukee and asked to speak to a tech support group about a recall related technical question. The guy who eventually answered was quite familiar with this issue - and several other things that I asked about - but he certainly wasn't an engineer. However, based on the conversation, I did feel comfortable that he wasn't guessing.

The main # is (414) 343-4056.

I was put on hold an awfully long time (had decent music though :-) )

I was actually surprised they let me speak to someone. I expected to be told "our dealers handle customer inquiries".

I also asked them about the 5,000 mile service - and whether there were any warranty concerns. He said "I'm supposed to discourage you from doing that, but honestly, there is not problem with your warranty so long as you did the work and keep receipts etc".

Old 05-30-2007, 12:12 AM
mud
muderator
Received 8,771 Likes on 2,063 Posts

Thanx again warren.

Yeah that number is on page 2 of my 06 owner's manual.

Nice to hear that you can dial it and talk to a knowledgeable person.

mud

Hey Mud,

I should correct that - I can't say they were a tech group. I called the main number in Milwaukee and asked to speak to a tech support group about a recall related technical question. The guy who eventually answered was quite familiar with this issue - and several other things that I asked about - but he certainly wasn't an engineer. However, based on the conversation, I did feel comfortable that he wasn't guessing.

The main # is (414) 343-4056.

I was put on hold an awfully long time (had decent music though :-) )

I was actually surprised they let me speak to someone. I expected to be told "our dealers handle customer inquiries".

I also asked them about the 5,000 mile service - and whether there were any warranty concerns. He said "I'm supposed to discourage you from doing that, but honestly, there is not problem with your warranty so long as you did the work and keep receipts etc".

Old 05-30-2007, 03:47 PM
soup48
Road Captain

Did anyone get a recall for the tranny shifter drum replacement. I found out about it when I asked the service man for some information on a different subject. No notification by mail for any recalls.

Old 05-31-2007, 10:14 AM
itsmyforte
Tourer

the date for the change was february 13th 2006. If i remember correctly. I know it was early 06 when the change occurred. I read the info on this board, but can't find it easily. IF your bike was mfg'd. after that date u have the change already. mine was made after the date and i did not get any kind of notice about the bearing. I already knew about it before i purchased the bike in May 06.

Quick Reply: 15,000 mile inner primary bearing - definitive answer!