Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin Pilot Road 3 or 4

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 11:21 PM
rogersachs
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Smile Michelin Pilot Road 3 or 4

I need a new rear. Want to place a 180 on the rear of my 2013 Street Bob. Have had good luck with Michelin. Like the commander II series and do not like the Scorcher( wear out to soon) but only Michelin Pilot road 3 or 4 seem to fit( 180-55-ZR 17)( $165-200) . They do have a 2 , but the 3 or 4 are suposed to be better technology.
I really never heard of that model. What does the forum think? Also they are very low profile compared to OEM ( 70) . Will they have a rougher ride.? Will they last as long as the Commander?
Thank You,
Roger

Old 12-28-2016, 03:38 AM
mpescatori
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Michelin Pilot Road series are highly esteemed in Europe and are known to be THE rain tire, bar none.

The only real decent alternative would be Dunlop's D616 in the same size, but they seem to have been discontinued.

Whether you choose PR3 or PR4, it's an excellent choice !

If you have a hard time finding them shop as if you had a BMR flat twin, it's the same size.
Also, if they ask "yes we have the tire, what bike do you have ?" it's because "BMW-tared tires" actually have a stronger carcass (tire body) than the same tire meant for a japanese 4-cylinder scooter.
I guess it has to do with the massive torque that a BMW/HD big twin will produce as opposed to the 4-cylinder high-flyers made in Japan.

Old 12-28-2016, 03:55 AM
mpescatori
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Michelin Pilot Road 3

http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcyc...-pilot-road-3/

+++++++++++++

Michelin Pilot Road 4

Old 12-28-2016, 10:35 AM
pchmotoho
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yes, both tires are great but the 4 is better. It wears longer and feels as has a little more grip. I run them on my Ducati and will put them on again provided an newer version does not arrive.

Old 12-28-2016, 01:08 PM
rogersachs
Road Captain
Smile Michelin Pilot tires

Originally Posted by mpescatori
The Michelin Pilot Road series are highly esteemed in Europe and are known to be THE rain tire, bar none.

The only real decent alternative would be Dunlop's D616 in the same size, but they seem to have been discontinued.

If you have a hard time finding them shop as if you had a BMR flat twin, it's the same size.
Also, if they ask "yes we have the tire, what bike do you have ?" it's because "BMW-tared tires" actually have a stronger carcass (tire body) than the same tire meant for a japanese 4-cylinder scooter.
I guess it has to do with the massive torque that a BMW/HD big twin will produce as opposed to the 4-cylinder high-flyers made in Japan.
Mpescatori,
Thanks for the advise. Will order the 4 if I can get them.
Roger

Old 12-28-2016, 06:28 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Pilot Road 3 or 4

I am getting ready to mount a second PR3 on my bike. I got between 4-6K out of my last one...Not long lasting but a great tire in or out of the rain. Just be careful when you break them in. They use a lot of release agent in the tire molds and as a result, the tire can be super slippery until they are broken in.

Old 12-28-2016, 07:03 PM
mirrmu
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

How does load and speed rating compare to stock spec tire?

Old 12-28-2016, 07:34 PM
rogersachs
Road Captain

Originally Posted by mpescatori

How is the ride on the PR 3 or 4.
Roger

Old 12-28-2016, 07:49 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Load and Speed Ratings

The load rating is 387 kg. or 853 lbs. The speed rating is 149+.

Old 12-30-2016, 12:35 AM
rogersachs
Road Captain
Smile Michelin Pilot 4

Originally Posted by rogersachs
I need a new rear. Want to place a 180 on the rear of my 2013 Street Bob. Have had good luck with Michelin. Like the commander II series and do not like the Scorcher( wear out to soon) but only Michelin Pilot road 3 or 4 seem to fit( 180-55-ZR 17)( $165-200) . They do have a 2 , but the 3 or 4 are suposed to be better technology.
I really never heard of that model. What does the forum think? Also they are very low profile compared to OEM ( 70) . Will they have a rougher ride.? Will they last as long as the Commander?
Thank You,
Roger
Pilot 4 to be installed tomorrow. Making sure the wires are out of the way. I hope with the low profile the ride does not suffer.

I would also replace the front, but it almost looks new after 5,000 miles( Commander II). When I do may even try a 120 if it fits.

Will post in about two weeks my impressions with the rear 180 .
Roger

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Road 3 or 4