Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Earplugs anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 05:19 PM
stbobber
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best Earplugs anyone?

I was on the highway doing about 80 mph with a windspeed at 25 to 30 mph, I arrived to my destination, about 40 miles away and felt like I was deaf, I could not hear much, the people around me were talking and it sounded muffled....wierd, I never expierenced the lack of hearing loss so much. anyone expierence this? I bought some ear plugs from the pharmacy but it doesn't help much because of the wind hitting the plug and sending thatpoundind noise in my ear.Any suggestions?

Old 05-29-2007, 05:39 PM
gaslk925
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Best Earplugs anyone?

I use the throw away foam plugs..picked up at CVS. I cut about 1/4 inch off the end to make them a little smaller. I also have a old pair of walkman type headphone that go around your neck rather than over your head that I use for long rides. Just get a little tired explaining that i wear the plugs for the wind noise not because my bike is so loud.

Old 05-29-2007, 05:56 PM
Angry_Monkey
Cruiser

Check the earplugsuperstore.com. I'm use the Hock's noisebreakers, cuts down on the wind noise but allows you to hear what's going on.

Old 05-29-2007, 06:00 PM
fendrix
Cruiser

I just steal plugs from work. E.A.R. EZ Fit 28dB plugs. Yeah, they're yellow...but they work. I've talked to...or should I say YELLED AT...too many long time bikers who are deaf or damn near deaf not to wear them.

I know they sell "custom" earplugs, but if it's no big deal to you check out any of these places and do a search for earplugs:

http://www.mscdirect.com
http://www.jlindustries.com
http://www.harborfreight.com
http://www.use-enco.com

Most are yellow, some are blue or orange. All are pretty cheap and you can buy a box of 100 for $20.

Old 05-29-2007, 06:01 PM
b5mac
Tourer

Shooters use a foam earplug that is shaped like a little can. You just roll it up and stick it about half way into your ear. That's what I use when I'm going to be on the highway. They are real cheap and can be found at any gun shop or gun range. They are usually yellow in color. What is nice about them is that you can still hear other cars and things. I've even used them when I had to sleep in a room with other guys who snore. They are much more comfortable. Of course, mine didn't help the other guys with my snoring! Poor them.

Old 05-29-2007, 06:03 PM
Psycho
Road Master

Spent quite a few years working in factories, and bought a lot of earplugs in the day. Tried just about every new earplug that hit the market for several years, and even had one set custom made and formed to my ears, and at the end of the day, the best plugs I found are the cheap foam roll up deals. They work, they're cheap, and they're comfortable.

If you find they are a bit tight and make your ears hurt after a while, take a razor and shave them down a bit till they feel right.

Old 05-29-2007, 06:33 PM
stbobber
Road Captain

thanks, guys. That's a good idea to cut them down a bit in length.

Old 05-29-2007, 06:35 PM
voyager1
Outstanding HDF Member

wow.good question here. all the ones have bought just do not work. got a pack at lowes that are worthless. the search goes on for me. i make one stop and take them out,they do not go back in to fit. used all the drug store ones and no luck either. there has got to be some out there.i have not found them yet.

Old 05-29-2007, 07:00 PM
Nach
Cruiser

If you want tunes I suggest the E2C made by sure, great sound quality and block out the noise as well. If your just looking for plugs Ive used some called skull screws that work really well.

Old 05-29-2007, 07:16 PM
TampaJim
Road Master

I have found this to be a great source. http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/difoearpl.html

The more you buy, the cheaper they are. A box of 200 sets only costs $19. Drugstore plugs run 5 sets for $4. Each set comes individually wrapped so you don't have loose plugs to keep track of.

My favorite was one called "the Gripper" but for some reason it's been discontinued. My nest choice is the "MAX" (tapered red ones)

I would NOT cut plugs off , those things can get in pretty deep and you won't be able to extract them without tweezers. Roll em up as instructed, use 2 - 3 times and discard, they quit expanding after several uses and will not seal properly.

Quick Reply: Best Earplugs anyone?