Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Primary oil leak! Help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 12:09 PM
Ramirez Troy
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Primary oil leak! Help!!!!!

My brother and I recently swapped out my forward controls to his mid controls. He has a '17 street bob, and I have a '13 street bob. We did everything by the book, and now we both have oil leaks coming from the bottom. Well, we didn't follow everything by the book; we didn't do the sequence when torquing down the inner primary and outer primary. Im a little new to this and would like to know your thoughts. Also, I dont know if it would be the gasket for the outer primary??? But both of our bikes are leaking. I can understand if just one bike was, but both of them are. Im going to attach some pictures and would love your guys input. The gasket seems to be sticking out on the top of the outer primary, too. Not a lot, but noticeable.

Attached Thumbnails Primary oil leak! Help!!!!!-img_1476.png   Primary oil leak! Help!!!!!-img_1473.png   Primary oil leak! Help!!!!!-img_1474.png   Primary oil leak! Help!!!!!-img_1475.png  
Old 04-25-2017, 12:30 PM
freashman06
Novice

Replace the tower gasket?

Old 04-25-2017, 12:30 PM
Mikes145
Road Captain
Received 151 Likes on 102 Posts

Take it apart, possibly get a new gasket that you may have damaged, and put it together the correct way without damaging the gasket. That's just my guess, but I'm not a mechanic. Oh, and torque it down.

Old 04-25-2017, 12:31 PM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus

Received 867 Likes on 576 Posts

Try to find out where the oil comes from.
If there is no oil inbetween the gearbox and the inside part of the primary cover IMO it could be a gasket problem.

FYI see my primary issues I had some time ago

Originally Posted by FXD2003Rider
Read my adventures on this subject in here ('03 FXD 121.00 km ~ 75.000 miles):

Help/advise on Inner Primary Oil leak...

I had my Indy replace all mainshaft seals three times (only had to pay once!) before the leaking was over. My advice: stick to good quality seals!!

Old 04-25-2017, 12:33 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,539 Likes on 3,791 Posts

You say you did everything by the book yet you say you did not walk the outer cover out flat by starting in the center (by the book) and going up and down and left and right. Did you use a new 3 layer OEM gaskets? I put a micro thin coat of black RTV on both sides of the gasket while laying on a piece of clean cardboard. Then I do the above pattern by hand with a T-handle 1/4 drive held between my pointer and middle finger since I only tweak them a couple times. I let it set overnight and then roll the dry bead of RTV off toward the engine. Run it thru a heat cycle and while hot tweak once more. I refer to a tweak since I am talking less the what the book calls here for torque. Also, some outer covers are bowed by a 1/32". That surface is only cast. It will easily pull flat, however. My RTV is just in case there is a nick or two. It also enables you to reuse your gasket since it peels right off. Only reuse it if you work on your own stuff and accept failures one in a while, however. If you do my method, don't even think about wiping that RTV while wet. Don't get it in screw holes or put it on metal, just a skim on the gasket. It will cut off on that sharp edge when dry like a long rubber band. I never have more than a 1/32 bead when it dries.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 04-25-2017 at 12:58 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:11 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by freashman06
Replace the tower gasket?

Plus, the inner primary bolts should be new.

I have reused the outer primary gasket several times, as long as you treat it with care, should not be the problem.

Old 04-25-2017, 01:13 PM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 866 Likes on 546 Posts

Buy a new gasket and torque it down by sequence.

Old 04-25-2017, 01:18 PM
Ramirez Troy
1st Gear

Yeah, i checked the outer gasket, and i can feel the gasket smooshed out of the primary- not a lot, but its there and some parts of the outer primary. Maybe this is the cause. The parts that its pushed out on the top, are the same spots its leaking out from the bottom. Hopefully. :/

Old 04-25-2017, 01:35 PM
Fishonsc
Tourer
Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

I have never been able to reuse the outer primary gasket. It always leaks unless I use a new one. I think HD knows this and charges $40 for it. Lol!

Old 04-25-2017, 01:50 PM
Ramirez Troy
1st Gear

I think I over tightened the bolts and damaged the gasket :/

Quick Reply: Primary oil leak! Help!!!!!