Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

7" Headlight on Street Bob; Nasty Wind in Face

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 02:12 PM
shackleford rusty
Advanced
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default **RESOLVED** 7" Headlight on Street Bob; Nasty Wind in Face

Good afternoon Fellas,

I've read many posts on here regarding the exchange between a 5-3/4" and 7" headlight on a Dyna.

One thing I've never heard anyone mention is the violent pulsating wind that beast of a 7" light puts directly in your face.

I've installed a Harley softail bucket (overpaid, I know), JW Speaker 8700 EVO2 (Got on sale for $225 through 4Wheel Parts), Harley retaining ring, and Harley trim ring.

I am currently using the stock StreetBob headlight mount.

First time out, I noticed a violent pulsating wind directly in my face; Shakes my glasses and rattles my brains.

I thought changing the stock trim ring to a frenched ring, would break up the air a bit; It helped, but not much.

I know, fix it until it's broken... But, it does look bad ***.

Any of you guys out there running a 7" headlight on a Dyna, specifically, StreetBob experience this?

Any idea of a solution?

I am 5-10", 190 lbs, and sitting on a stock seat. I've noticed if I sit up straight and stretch taller, it seems like wind is now at neck level.

I can handle it in the neck and/or chest. But in my face, I get a headache.

I've ordered two new mounting blocks from Headwinds, one will lower approximately 1", and the other will push out 1/4" and lower approximately 1-1/4".

I've searched many sources online for several hours and have not been able to find anything.

Additionally, I've noticed many of the Softail models have a flat piece behind the light on the forks, that are on the same plane as the forks; Not sure if this is technically called a nacelle. Was this put there to create an updraft to help re-direct the air coming off the light up and over the riders head?

Last edited by shackleford rusty; 05-23-2017 at 09:35 PM.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:30 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Wind Direction Off the Headlight

I had the same problem on my Dyna after I installed a new HID headlight a few years ago. The new bucket was the same diameter but a much longer body than stock. The air coming off the light was evil and after a lot of trial and error, I bought a used Saraceni handlebar bag from a member on this forum who had sold his bike.
The first time I put the bag on the bike and loaded a few items in it, rain gear, the wind pattern changed and went over my head. To this day, if the bag is empty I still get the wind in my face but I never ride any distance like that.
Good luck

www.saracenibags.com

Old 05-15-2017, 04:32 PM
Mid-Night-Rider
Tourer
Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts

I'm running a 7" fat boy bucket, Trucklite bulb, and frenched trim ring on an '09 Street Bob. No buffeting or any other irregular wind turbulence. Although, I do have a small tool bag mounted to the top tree.

Old 05-15-2017, 05:00 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Interesting. First I'm hearing of the connection. I did a 7" conversion but don't have a rolling bike yet. I'd be curious to see everybody's setups.

Old 05-15-2017, 05:19 PM
Mid-Night-Rider
Tourer
Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by cggorman
Interesting. First I'm hearing of the connection. I did a 7" conversion but don't have a rolling bike yet. I'd be curious to see everybody's setups.

I don't think I've ever tried riding it without the bag up front. I might remove it on my way home later to see if there is any difference.

Old 05-15-2017, 05:24 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Originally Posted by Mid-Night-Rider

I don't think I've ever tried riding it without the bag up front. I might remove it on my way home later to see if there is any difference.
Looks like yours is mounted about an inch lower and 2-3 inches forward compared to mine.

Old 05-15-2017, 06:17 PM
Flinter
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts

I had the exact opposite experience. 7 inch light off a nightrain. Stock mounting bracket. I find that I no longer need the windshield. I am running 14 inch apes though. Maybe I'm sitting more upright?

Old 05-15-2017, 09:03 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 968 Likes on 731 Posts

I swapped out the stock headlight with a 7" from a Fatboy, using the mount that came with my Street Bob. Haven't noticed any differences in air flow at all.

Old 05-15-2017, 09:13 PM
shackleford rusty
Advanced

test. still trying to get used to posting

Old 05-15-2017, 09:24 PM
shackleford rusty
Advanced

Cannot figure out how to quote prior posts; Obvious above. Clicked multi-quote button, then post. I was not re-directed to the full editor as instructions stated.

Thank you dyna rider and Mid-Night-Rider; I may have to try the tool bag option if my lowered mounting brackets do not help.

Nice bike Mid-Night-Rider.

Thanks Flinter; Your 14" apes are quite a bit taller than my stock minis. I did notice sitting more up right would move the pulsating wind from face to neck/chest.

Nice bike nevil.

I will post pictures of my setup in a bit; So long as I can figure that one out.

Quick Reply: 7" Headlight on Street Bob; Nasty Wind in Face