Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing a tach on '02 FXD.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 04:39 PM
Carl '69
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 694 Likes on 338 Posts
Default Installing a tach on '02 FXD.

I'm fixin' to finally put a tach on my Super Glide. Looks fairly straightforward, but I've got a question about the wiring.

Looking at the wiring diagram in my service manual, the tach signal wire is easy enough, but the power & ground wires need to be spliced in to the existing wiring. The ground wire looks like a single splice & then into socket 12 of the main harness connector. Power wire looks like it has to be spliced into both the power wires out of sockets 8 & 9 of the idiot light connector, then into socket 6 of the main harness connector.

Do I have the right of that? Electronics & wiring are voodoo to me, so trying to make sure I'm not a complete stooge.

Any reason I can't just run the ground wire to the frame & bypass having to splice into the harness?

Any recommendations on how to splice the wires? I avoid hacking into wiring like the plague & while I've got a decent soldering iron & can solder reasonably well, but if left to my own devices I'll find absolutely the wrong way to do it.

Tools? I was eye-balling this crimper-
Amazon Amazon
. Is this the right crimper for those wonky Deutsch connectors?

At any rate, any tips/advice would be hugely appreciated.

Old 06-13-2017, 10:16 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,297 Likes on 2,353 Posts

Did you check for the crimper at Lowes or Home Depot. Deutsch connectors are relatively easy and solid. I had the tach on my 02 installed when I bought the bike way back when, so can't help you out there.