Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fan assisted oil cooler or cooling fans?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 09:41 AM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 257 Likes on 199 Posts
Default Fan assisted oil cooler or cooling fans?

for those of you who don't know, I have a 17 lrs with a 117 kit. On days over 70 degrees, I see engine temps of 270 on the freeway, and it jumps passed 300 within minutes of being in traffic or at a light.

Many question is what would you guys do, jagg fan assisted oil cooler, or love jugs cooling fans? I hate the look of fans, but I'll do whatever I have to to bring my temps down. If you more experienced build guys think a oil cooler will be enough, that's what I'll go with. I will be venting my crankcase to atmosphere, and having the bike dyno tuned sometime in the near future.

Last edited by Nickd2689; 06-14-2017 at 09:43 AM.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:01 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

In before Love Jugs

I know you know what I think I'd very willingly do everything necessary to get those engine temperatures under control before I'd consider adding fans; but, that's me

Old 06-14-2017, 11:00 AM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
In before Love Jugs

I know you know what I think I'd very willingly do everything necessary to get those engine temperatures under control before I'd consider adding fans; but, that's me

so you're saying to do the jagg and see how the temperatures respond?

Last edited by Nickd2689; 06-14-2017 at 11:07 AM.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:07 AM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member

by the way I'm lookin at the jagg 10 row low mount fan assisted oil cooler. I'll never understand why this bike (and a lot of the others) doesn't come with a factory oil cooler but whatever. Thank you moco.

Is is anyone on here running a fan assisted oil cooler? If so feel free to tell me what you think about it.

Old 06-14-2017, 11:12 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

You and I are on the same page about not wanting fans; they look awful.

You need to approach this with the mind of achieving maximum results. Your state of tune would be my first stop; properly tuned bikes do run cooler. You've got that big beast 117", she is going to run hot otherwise. The oil cooler would be my next modification. I did see decent engine temperature reductions when I went to the Jagg low mount.

I'd try everything first and leave the fans in the court of last resort; I can get some nice engine temperatures with my 103"; I took a nice day ride yesterday in 85° ambient temperature; engine temperature running at 62 MPH sat at 219° and the intake was 104°. I don't know if those numbers are possible with the 117" but I'd sure try and find out

The following users liked this post:
lewisXIV (05-21-2018)
Old 06-14-2017, 11:13 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickd2689
by the way I'm lookin at the jagg 10 row low mount fan assisted oil cooler. I'll never understand why this bike (and a lot of the others) doesn't come with a factory oil cooler but whatever. Thank you moco.

Is is anyone on here running a fan assisted oil cooler? If so feel free to tell me what you think about it.

bro.... bikes dont need oil coolers (trolling)

Old 06-14-2017, 12:59 PM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
You and I are on the same page about not wanting fans; they look awful.

You need to approach this with the mind of achieving maximum results. Your state of tune would be my first stop; properly tuned bikes do run cooler. You've got that big beast 117", she is going to run hot otherwise. The oil cooler would be my next modification. I did see decent engine temperature reductions when I went to the Jagg low mount.

I'd try everything first and leave the fans in the court of last resort; I can get some nice engine temperatures with my 103"; I took a nice day ride yesterday in 85° ambient temperature; engine temperature running at 62 MPH sat at 219° and the intake was 104°. I don't know if those numbers are possible with the 117" but I'd sure try and find out
Thats what I was thinking. I just hate how goddamn awful the fans look. Do you think I should vent to atmosphere before I get it dyno tuned? I know it makes more sense for the tune but don't know if the dealer will tell me they can't tune it due to not being epa compliant. And I definitely don't want them putting anything in the computer about it or voiding my warranty. Thanks for all the input on this.

Old 06-14-2017, 01:03 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

I have both!

I use the same Jagg that you're considering, nice unit. Not sure if they've finally changed their installation instructions yet, but double check. Previously they had you wiring the power for the fan via the rear brake cylinder, with our Canbus bikes this is not possible and you will need to get your power elsewhere. When I spoke to them about this they were considering including some type of adapter, I used the accessory adapter via Harley and wired up my frame and under the tank.

I also have a Ward's fan.

Both units have helped a fair bit, but I live in the desert and ride at times in some pretty bad heat until I don't enjoy it anymore.

Old 06-14-2017, 01:05 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickd2689
Thats what I was thinking. I just hate how goddamn awful the fans look. Do you think I should vent to atmosphere before I get it dyno tuned? I know it makes more sense for the tune but don't know if the dealer will tell me they can't tune it due to not being epa compliant. And I definitely don't want them putting anything in the computer about it or voiding my warranty. Thanks for all the input on this.
Personally I would do the AC mods prior to tune, but then again the last place I would get my bike tuned is the dealership. Most will either simply do a download or if still doing a proper tune may be hamstrung by compliance issues. Not sure if that's always the case but I would ask the question point blank so that they answer you honestly.

Old 06-14-2017, 01:33 PM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by robbyville
I have both!

I use the same Jagg that you're considering, nice unit. Not sure if they've finally changed their installation instructions yet, but double check. Previously they had you wiring the power for the fan via the rear brake cylinder, with our Canbus bikes this is not possible and you will need to get your power elsewhere. When I spoke to them about this they were considering including some type of adapter, I used the accessory adapter via Harley and wired up my frame and under the tank.

I also have a Ward's fan.

Both units have helped a fair bit, but I live in the desert and ride at times in some pretty bad heat until I don't enjoy it anymore.
ye I'm gonna run the wiring to the accessory plug and test with an ahmmeter to make sure it doesn't draw too much current since I already have heated grips and a Powervision. installed through the accessory plug

Quick Reply: Fan assisted oil cooler or cooling fans?