Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FP3 with TBR Exhaust o2 sensor question - 13' FXDB

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 04:52 PM
caoboii
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FP3 with TBR Exhaust o2 sensor question - 13' FXDB

Hey all,

I just ordered the FP3, TBR exhaust, and Ness Big Sucker A/C which should be coming in on Monday. I did a bit of research on how to install the exhaust and saw RevZilla's 'How To Install a Full System Exhaust for Harley' video on youtube. He talked about removing the o2 sensors which caught me off guard. That being said, would I need to remove the o2 sensors to use FP3 or has FP3 integrated o2 sensors in their app. I will probably call them this weekend, but I wanted to ask you guys first. Thanks, I'm excited!!

Old 06-16-2017, 10:49 PM
Nemosengineer
Road Master
Received 221 Likes on 159 Posts

Bump...

: Mike

Old 06-16-2017, 11:06 PM
streetjoebob
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i've been using FP3 on my 2014 streetbob for 2+ years.
i just removed my o2 sensors, only because i was doing some exhaust maintenance, and those funkers would not come off, so i had to cut them and throw away...

anyway, i'm running a Thrashin 2-1 (welded by Bassani), and arlen ness big sucker.
have i noticed a difference? no...only that my check-engine-light is always on now, so i might put these o2 sensors back on. but here is what i am going to do first...

i am going to call FP3 and Bassani Exhaust, and ask for their opinions on the matter...then i will determine if i run sensors or not.

thats my suggestion, and experiences...

edit: make sure you use anti-seize on the o2 ports, or you will learn the hard way as i did...

Last edited by streetjoebob; 06-16-2017 at 11:08 PM. Reason: anti-seize
Old 06-17-2017, 12:48 AM
caoboii
Intermediate

Thanks for the advice, I'm on the same boat too. I tried calling TBR and V&H earlier but they're closed until Monday. From reading all the forums, it seems like we have to remove the o2 sensors. The only thing I'm concerned about is what to put in place of the o2 sensors and how to get rid of that 'light'. I read that V&H offer a o2 optimizer that is supposed to make the ECM 'happy', but I cannot find it on the site. let me know what you find out, I'll give an update once I find out as well.

Old 06-17-2017, 04:41 PM
streetjoebob
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

yup. let me know how it goes with the phone calls. just accept the fact there isnt many gains in stage 1 mods. only thing that could make a huge difference is actually getting a real dyno tune...

Old 06-17-2017, 11:06 PM
rbdub474
Road Master
Received 353 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by caoboii
Thanks for the advice, I'm on the same boat too. I tried calling TBR and V&H earlier but they're closed until Monday. From reading all the forums, it seems like we have to remove the o2 sensors. The only thing I'm concerned about is what to put in place of the o2 sensors and how to get rid of that 'light'. I read that V&H offer a o2 optimizer that is supposed to make the ECM 'happy', but I cannot find it on the site. let me know what you find out, I'll give an update once I find out as well.
I've got a '16 FXDLS so I am using the stock O2 sensors. The TBR kit did come with plugs in case you aren't using sensors.

Old 06-18-2017, 02:46 AM
caoboii
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rbdub474
I've got a '16 FXDLS so I am using the stock O2 sensors. The TBR kit did come with plugs in case you aren't using sensors.
Do you have the FP3 as well? I don't mind using the o2 sensors, but based on the YouTube video I saw from revzilla, Lemmy clearly states that the plugs are for people who have an aftermarket tuner. He was also installing a TBR exhaust but it was on a sportster. I've read other threads that V&H told OP to remove the o2 sensors. Basically the o2 sensors makes things leaner while the tuner makes them richer so it's a constant battle between the two. I've been looking around but I haven't found a definite answer yet. Hopefully Monday will shed some light.

o2 thread: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1101135-fool-the-o2-sensors.html

Youtube: https://youtu.be/JYDjUasJ0oM

Old 06-18-2017, 07:38 AM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,030 Likes on 651 Posts

You need to remove the o2 sensors and put them in your new pipe. Do not, not put the on your new pipe. You do not know what you are doing and the fp3 uses them to Autotune and in your tune. Basically if you disconnect them permanently your bike will run like ****.

Old 06-18-2017, 06:27 PM
rbdub474
Road Master
Received 353 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by caoboii
Do you have the FP3 as well? I don't mind using the o2 sensors, but based on the YouTube video I saw from revzilla, Lemmy clearly states that the plugs are for people who have an aftermarket tuner. He was also installing a TBR exhaust but it was on a sportster. I've read other threads that V&H told OP to remove the o2 sensors. Basically the o2 sensors makes things leaner while the tuner makes them richer so it's a constant battle between the two. I've been looking around but I haven't found a definite answer yet. Hopefully Monday will shed some light.

o2 thread: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...2-sensors.html

Youtube: https://youtu.be/JYDjUasJ0oM
No, I have the PV with Fuel Moto tune, which uses the sensors. I just knew that the TBR came with plugs.

Old 06-19-2017, 11:49 AM
caoboii
Intermediate

Originally Posted by streetjoebob
yup. let me know how it goes with the phone calls. just accept the fact there isnt many gains in stage 1 mods. only thing that could make a huge difference is actually getting a real dyno tune...
Just spoke with V&H and TBR - both of them said to keep the o2 sensors and plug it into the new exhaust. Like what misfit said, you would need it for autotune. V&H stated that if I had a Bassani exhaust then I would have to remove the sensors so it seems like its dependent on which exhaust.