Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinion: Harley 117 kit or?

Old 06-18-2017, 03:29 PM
Craigmier
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Opinion: Harley 117 kit or?

Just bought a slightly used 2016 lowrider S with 650 miles on it. Had HD to inspection on it and said the bottom end cylinder gaskets are leaking on both cylinders. Will be replaced under warranty. I am wondering if now might be a good time to drop the 117 kit on and possibly get free labor as they will be removing the exhaust, tank, heads, and cylinders to get to the gasket.

Question-What is people's opinion of the Harley 117 kit? Several dealers here in Denver have employee's and customers with 117 SE kit in their Lowrider S and other 110 bikes and love them. Seeing about 105 hp 125 tq. Keep in mind this is the Mile High city, elevation 5,280 feet-so much less oxygen here. We see 7 to 13% power loss with this altitude. I see S&S, TMAN, and fuel moto kits similarly priced however I think some of their dyno graphs seem inflated to me. Speaking to several Harley and private shop techs and tuners, they mention they harley kit is great. They also said they have had customers come in with Fuel Moto's 107 kits and run baseline dyno's and they numbers were much less than what they were on the graph given to them by whoever installed it. Not sure if it was Fuel Moto or a local tuning shop. Said tune was good there wasn't anything left on the table just lower numbers than what the customer originally thought, altitude aside. I am sure FM, S&S, TMAN all have great kits none the less just want to hear from people who have Harleys 117 kit and other similar kits.

I like the idea of using Harley's kit as the shop will warranty it. Thinking about maybe doing SE 259 cam with the 117 kit. I know a lot will say TMAN or Wood make better cams but again I hear it both ways and everybody has an opinion. Local shop here said of the 5 harley 117 kits they installed with SE259 cams, 2 guys came back and paid again to have stock cams put in as it was "too much". haha! Sounds like a good problem to me.

Thanks guys.

Old 06-18-2017, 04:35 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,373 Likes on 2,948 Posts

Originally Posted by Craigmier
Local shop here said of the 5 harley 117 kits they installed with SE259 cams, 2 guys came back and paid again to have stock cams put in as it was "too much". haha! Sounds like a good problem to me.

Thanks guys.
Lack of "Streetability" isn't a good problem to have. It may seem fun for bragging rights, but in actual use...

Another thing...how do you plan to keep the 117" cool? Lots of riders complain about heat related issues.

Old 06-18-2017, 05:11 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

go for it. people are beating good number out the 117s.

aw! wtf?! https://www.sscycle.com/products/117...rinkle-finish/ where did this come from?!
nevermind... reading
"Crankcases must be bored to accept the larger 4-1/8" bore cylinders. EFI engines will require tuning. S&S recommends Dynojet® Power Vision® flash tuners for 2001-'16 engines with Delphi® EFI systems. Not legal for sale or use on CA or EPA pollution controlled motorcycles."

Last edited by cvaria; 06-18-2017 at 05:16 PM.
Old 06-18-2017, 05:14 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

I used to live in Leadville CO (10,200 ft) and can attest to the reduced power at altitude. It seems like the 117 kits have been well received and if you can get it installed with cheap labor then.... you can always change out cams later

The following users liked this post:
cvaria (06-18-2017)
Old 06-18-2017, 05:30 PM
hometeam
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

My impression is that the kit is only warrantable when installed at time of purchase of a new bike. Maybe your dealer is nicer than mine or the mileage is low enough to satisfy the co.
I got 102hp/116tq with the kit, hd street tuner, stock exhaust, and a dealer dyno tune after a 500 mile breakin after kit installation.

Last edited by hometeam; 06-18-2017 at 05:40 PM.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:45 PM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 257 Likes on 199 Posts

I installed my 117 kit personally on my lrs. I love it. I used the 259e cams that came in the kit. It's amazing. A lot of power, but my Harley is my daily driver (I only drive my ram If it's snowing, or I have the dogs with me) so I have rode in all kinds of conditions rain or shine from temps as low as 9 degrees to 90+. It performed just fine in every condition. If it's wet out, be careful with the throttle, but by no means be afraid of it. Honestly, YES, I have issues with heat, but only when stopped. Get an oil cooler/cooling fans and you'll be fine. If you have a good tune, vent ac to atmosphere, and an oil cooler, you may not need fans. I ****in hate fans but that's just me. The se 117 kicks *** and takes names in my opinion. No buyers remorse here

d&d fatcat and pv autotune-105 hp/120 tq. Dyno coming soon.

Last edited by Nickd2689; 06-18-2017 at 09:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Nemosengineer (06-18-2017)
Old 06-18-2017, 09:32 PM
Shaved Ice
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts

My dynotune numbers are in my signature block but I am not at elevation like you are. I couldn't be happier with the HD 117 kit.

Old 06-19-2017, 10:01 AM
tasdevl
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Craigmier

I like the idea of using Harley's kit as the shop will warranty it. Thinking about maybe doing SE 259 cam with the 117 kit. I know a lot will say TMAN or Wood make better cams but again I hear it both ways and everybody has an opinion. Local shop here said of the 5 harley 117 kits they installed with SE259 cams, 2 guys came back and paid again to have stock cams put in as it was "too much". haha! Sounds like a good problem to me.

Thanks guys.
Not sure of your warranty since you're buying used, but with a new bike you have 60 days to install the kit and have it covered under the new bike warranty, otherwise it's just one year parts and labor.

Old 06-19-2017, 10:05 AM
tasdevl
Intermediate

Absolutely, do it. The bike rips with the 117. Definitely dyno it after 500 miles and you might not have the heat issue, even in Denver.

Old 06-19-2017, 10:07 AM
tasdevl
Intermediate

Almost forgot - I'd highly recommend a good aftermarket exhaust, too - the 117 kit almost requires it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Opinion: Harley 117 kit or?