Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help please! Wiring for a custom dynamics license plate bracket with built in LEDs

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 01:40 PM
musclehd
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Help please! Wiring for a custom dynamics license plate bracket with built in LEDs

Hey guys,
I am struggling to figuring out my wiring. I have a 2012 Wide glide that is currently setup with the stock right and left bullet blinkers that are used both as brake lights and blinkers with the two red bulbs. I am trying to replace this setup with a custom dynamics license plate bracket that has a right and left blinker as well as a separate brake light. Do you guys know how I should wire this up to make the brake light pulse bright when I pull the brake lever? The working is currently setup to have a running light wire, brake light wire and ground wire for the left and right bulbs as well as a ground and parking light wire for the parking light. Thanks!

Custom dynamics plate link:
https://www.customdynamics.com/radius-quad-horizontal-motorcycle-plate-frames-with-flushmount-leds-led-plate-illumination

Old 07-04-2017, 05:27 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Old 07-05-2017, 06:38 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

If I am correct, you plate has a two wires per light (if the grounds are all separated), one red and one black, correct?

If this is the case you are trying to bring a the left and right signals into the light via a 3 wire system (Blue-running light, Black-ground and purple/brown w/white stripe-brake and signal via a module under the seat), along with a two wire setup use to light you stock side plate mount, correct?

If that is all correct, you can use the wires from the stock side plate to power your new plate light. Then you will need to order two TrueFlex Dual Converters to put inline with Blue and Purple/brown wires to give you the ability to have Run, Stop, Turn function with the new plate light.

This should help.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:22 AM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by musclehd
Do you guys know how I should wire this up to make the brake light pulse bright when I pull the brake lever?
Pulsing or Flashing brake lights is another add-on controller that plugs in further up the harness,
https://www.customdynamics.com/categ...light-flashers
Otherwise it looks like the plate kit is just a straight forward tap-in wiring job. Your bike should have 3 wires feeding each signal stalk, you only need to wire the included TCF converter to one side for brake/run.

I would get the proper pins for the signal plugs from a local harley shop, de-pin the signals and use the stock plugs instead of cutting,, and use the other side "run"for the plate light.
Make sense?

Old 07-06-2017, 08:23 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

OK so I wasn't able to open the link the OP shared when I made my first post. After John made his post I went back and was able to open the link, this has change things from my original post. From what I now understand you are attempting to go from the two light rear system where the lights function as Stop/Tail/Turn signals to a center Stop/Tail light at the bottom of the plate bracket and two amber turn signals on both sides of the bracket with the addition of the running light to light up the plate.

The first issue you have is the STT module on the bike. This module combines the "Stop" and "Turn" into the same wire (the purple w/ white stripe or brown w/ white stripe) and used the blue wire for the "Tail" (always on). Because of this, you can not use the purple w/ white or brown w/ white to power the signals because they will not only flash with the signal function but will also brighten when the brake is applied, which in many states it is legal to have amber lights that act as brake lights.

My suggestion, since you are also looking to get something that flashes the brake light when applied in addition to operating the lights as needed, is to contact Custom Dynamics tech support and tell them what you are attempting to do and see if they have a solution that can be easily applied. More than likely the first thing you are going to need to do is eliminate the STT module so you are able to work with signals that aren't being combined.

Another route you could choose that should work is to use a Super Glide tail light harness (PN-68978-02B, used on a 2012 Super Glide). This harness should plug right into the mainharness where the STT module would be unplugged from. Then you should be able to tap into the other end of the harness per the brackets instructions.

Black=Ground
Red/Yellow Strip=Brake
Orange/White Strip=Tail/Run/Always On (running light for brake light and plate light)
Brown=Left Signal
Purple=Right Signal